GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher

+6
PTFlea
Riprock
asq2
LethalLehner
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Interesting, I too just heard the Fisher to EDM rumor from someone within the OHL today.

Did that someone from the OHL hear it from Garrioch?
Or read this thread?

Wink

17Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
At this point, I'd guess that Melnyk's vision for making the playoffs is purely for additional revenue.

I mean that he can't be stupid enough to believe that we can make the playoffs.

We'd have to go something like 30-11 the rest of the way just to get to face Boston.

18Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:07 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:
asq2 wrote:Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
At this point, I'd guess that Melnyk's vision for making the playoffs is purely for additional revenue.

We'd have to go something like 30-11 the rest of the way just to get to face Boston.
Well, after hearing the "top 4" comment... I suspect his delusion runs deep.

Wink

19Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Imagine if Fisher netted us Souray or Visnovsky...

20Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Interesting, I too just heard the Fisher to EDM rumor from someone within the OHL today.

Did that someone from the OHL hear it from Garrioch?
Or read this thread?

Wink

I would assume neither. For one, this is Brampton and Garrioch is likely unknown here. Second, this was brought up to me at about noon.

21Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:22 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Imagine if Fisher netted us Souray or Visnovsky...

Imagine if Fisher netted us 10 goals by seasons end.

22Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:Imagine if Fisher netted us Souray or Visnovsky...

I think you're looking more at a Denis Grebeshkov.

Souray and Visnovsky have been brilliant for the Oil this season.

23Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Souray's injuries are catching up with him. He's taken quite a toll on his body. Would be a bad move to trade for him, unless it's a cheap price. Fisher isn't a cheap price (literally).

Visnovsky's got the NTC and for EDM to trade him this shortly after getting him would be stupid. Really, who would sign or acquire someone only to waive/trade/buyout a year later? Rolling Eyes coughBurkecough

Now, Fisher for Eberle, or O'Marra, or another highly outed prospect, then we're talking. I wouldn't look at Edmonton to be in a position to move a quality roster player when they are vying for a playoff spot.

24Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:43 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

asq2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

No, but he's not dumb enough to forget that this team depends on walk-up sales to fill the seats. They may not make the playoffs, but playing competitive -- and, occasionally, winning -- hockey will at least fill some seats.

25Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:53 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

But long-term, getting a guy like Hedman or Tavares could lead to a number of long playoff runs.

Even with how much we suck right now, the Citizen's attendance figure wasn't much lower than a sell-out.

26Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 pm

asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Which tells me that the "Tank Army" will be sorely disappointed.

Having Elliott ride out the rest of the season here is not a big enough change to make this team win. He is a piece of that but other things have to change before the wins start happening again.

I was referring to the "expensive for Melnyk" part. He's not eating salary for this team to tank. Hence, other changes would be coming.

To make the playoffs in the 8th seed against Boston, we would have to replicate what the Detroit Red Wings did in the first half of the season.

Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
For that reason, there is no sense in keeping Elliott here and waiving Gerber. NO sense! Its actually aggravating to think that they may do this. I'm cool with Elliot playing out the next 3-4 games, but if we lose 2 of those, he should be returned immediately to Bingo so that at least our farm team can experience the playoffs this season.
Elliott still needs time with a winning team, regardless of if its in a lesser league. Let him play the Habs and maybe even the Caps, but then send him back to finish the season with the team that depends on him (I don't care if Jeff Glass won on Saturday...this is Elliott's team)

27Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was at a sports clothing store that had a 50% off everything, including some Sens gear. Sens sweaters with name and numbers for $100 -- they had a Fisher, Heatley and a couple of Spezza. My kid was very tempted to get the Fisher, since that's his favorite player, but I asked him what he'd so if Fisher got traded. He said "Cheer for whatever team he got traded to".

He's *so* not getting that sweater. I'd rather he became a Habs or Leafs fan than switch allegiance because some player got traded. I like Fisher, I like him a lot, but you don't switch who you're rooting for unless it's a Gretzky or a Bourque (I mention just those two because they actually got traded).

Anyhow, the other reason we didn't get anything was the quality of the sweaters. These were the Reebok replicas, and I was really underwhelmed with the quality. I didn't expect them to be like that Emery practice sweater I picked up, but these weren't even as good as the third jersey I picked up about 6 years ago that cost me $50 (half price down from $100). The logo on the chest is not even sewn on -- it's glued on (the logo itself is OK, but nowhere near as much embroidery as the other ones I have). And the difference between the ones with names/numbers and the plain ones is $70 (regular price difference). I can't believe that it would take me $70 to put a name and numbers on a sweater.

So, is that the norm with these sweaters? $130 for a glorified long-sleeved tee-shirt and $200 to slap a name/numbers on it? Seriously, there's like at most 3 yards of material in there, surely the thicker material would only add $10-15 to it, and sewing the logo on would take 5 minutes for someone making $20/day? The only reason for making them this cheap is so they can sell the "upgrade" ones for $300.

28Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 pm

cash wrote:
asq2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
ElliottRules wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Which tells me that the "Tank Army" will be sorely disappointed.

Having Elliott ride out the rest of the season here is not a big enough change to make this team win. He is a piece of that but other things have to change before the wins start happening again.

I was referring to the "expensive for Melnyk" part. He's not eating salary for this team to tank. Hence, other changes would be coming.

To make the playoffs in the 8th seed against Boston, we would have to replicate what the Detroit Red Wings did in the first half of the season.

Melnyk's a shrewd guy. I don't think he's truly dumb enough to maintain that this team is a playoff contender.
For that reason, there is no sense in keeping Elliott here and waiving Gerber. NO sense! Its actually aggravating to think that they may do this. I'm cool with Elliot playing out the next 3-4 games, but if we lose 2 of those, he should be returned immediately to Bingo so that at least our farm team can experience the playoffs this season.
Elliott still needs time with a winning team, regardless of if its in a lesser league. Let him play the Habs and maybe even the Caps, but then send him back to finish the season with the team that depends on him (I don't care if Jeff Glass won on Saturday...this is Elliott's team)

I agree with this. Keeping Elliott up with the Sens, really robs Bingo of a chance at a deep run. Glass, by all accounts, has been unimpressive this season.

I don't think freeing Gerber's money does anything anyway this season. It's not like we need his space to add a superstar to put us over the top. Eat the contract and bid him farewell. Let Elliot and Auld start fresh next year, hopefully under a better climate in Ottawa.

29Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:37 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Could they send Gerber down to Bingo? I mean, he's earned the trip.

30Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:29 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:Could they send Gerber down to Bingo? I mean, he's earned the trip.

I think we've caused Bingo fans enough suffering already.

31Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Could they send Gerber down to Bingo? I mean, he's earned the trip.

I think we've caused Bingo fans enough suffering already.

affraid ouch

32Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

I don't believe this one bit but if there was ever a chance to get rid
of Fisher I can't possibly imagine Murray wouldn't want to. This
contract will kill Ottawa for years. He should be fired instantly
if he had a chance at getting anything of value for him.

33Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher - Page 2 Empty Re: Gerber to be Waived, EDM Wants Fisher Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:12 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

DashRiprock wrote:Souray's injuries are catching up with him. He's taken quite a toll on his body. Would be a bad move to trade for him, unless it's a cheap price. Fisher isn't a cheap price (literally).

Visnovsky's got the NTC and for EDM to trade him this shortly after getting him would be stupid. Really, who would sign or acquire someone only to waive/trade/buyout a year later? Rolling Eyes coughBurkecough

Now, Fisher for Eberle, or O'Marra, or another highly outed prospect, then we're talking. I wouldn't look at Edmonton to be in a position to move a quality roster player when they are vying for a playoff spot.

Souray's been really strong this year. He's been solid defensively and is on pace for 60 points.

Anyway, keep dreaming if you want to get Eberle.

We're just happy we're able to give Fisher away. I don't think we can then hope that some other team will give up a top asset for him.

I mean really, would you give up Karlsson for Drury?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum