GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Lee - Have you given up on him?

+12
LeCaptain
shabbs
asq2
Acrobat
Cronie
wprager
PTFlea
TeamRenzo
Mojo
rooneypoo
SensGirl11
Cap'n Clutch
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 am

asq2 wrote:
hemlock wrote:
asq2 wrote:I haven't. His skating and puck-handling is superb, as his passing, and he's got a good frame.

He has the ability to get much better than he is. He's already pretty smart defensively, he just needs to work on his shot and his strength.

I don't think not giving up on him means you'd be unwilling to trade the guy. With the exception of Alfredsson for nostalgia, there's not a person on the roster I wouldn't be willing to trade.

But the idea of "giving up" on someone seems to imply cutting them, waiving them or trading for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Lee is still a great asset to this organization. Despite the success of newer prospects like Karlsson and Wiercioch, we're not knee-deep in defencemen or defenceman prospects, and Lee is the best thing we've got along with Picard and Volchenkov to transition to the Karlsson era.

He's already shown he can be a very effective defenceman.

Agreed. He can't just be given away. But like most here have stated, if the right deal is there, he's a goner. He is a valuable piece to have certainly though.

Well obviously, but again that's the case with almost anyone on the team.

If the Pens decide that they want to go in a new direction and offer Evgeni Malkin for Anton Volchenkov, can you honestly say you wouldn't drive the A-Train to the A-irport?

Almost everyone has their price, but that doesn't mean their worthless. Just looking at the words there, that's pretty apparent.

Certainly I would. I meant that Lee is valuable as a bargaining chip, should Murray decide to do so. He's got nice size, can skate well, and start a break out. Plus he's like what? 21.

So, you wouldn't trade Alfie to the Wings for Datsyuk, if the Wings came calling? His window for winning a cup in Ottawa is barely open at this point. Obviously this is a moot point, but let's for the sake of argument it happened. Would you do it?

32Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:46 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Do you think Lee is a lost cause and wasted first round pick?
It's interesting to look back at the draft now and see what else was available... but this is all 20/20 of course...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2005e.html

We could of had Kopitar (taken 11th by LA) or Marc Staal (taken 12th by the Rangers).

33Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:43 am

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

cogloano, vlasic, stastny... the list goes on.

34Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

marakh wrote:cogloano, vlasic, stastny... the list goes on.
Crazy...

But this goes for any draft year when you look back on them and how the picks are doing now. It's so hard to predict future performance in the NHL... that site is quite interesting as it shows you their current NHL stats.

35Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:04 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

A bad draft pick. He could be a good player, but he was ranked in the mid 20's and selected ninth. What a waste.

I have never been impressed by Lee. Everyone thought he was good when he came up last year. I thought he was barely average last year and he has been useless this year. If you can get something for him, do it. Who cares if he is good in 7 years? He's a UFA then anyways. That team needs someone good NOW.

36Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Brian Lee, a first round pick and D prospect of the Muckler era came in late last season and didn't look out of place. This season he was handed the job on D and played himself off the big club. When he went down to Bingo he continued his struggles opening the door for Brendan Bell to come up and snag a fulltime job on D. Here are some questions to ponder - Do you think Lee is a lost cause and wasted first round pick? Do you think he was ever a legitimate prospect with top 2 or even top 4 potential? Do you think the Sens should keep him and wait him out in terms of developing or do you think they should act now and get as much as they can for him in a trade?

I'm on the fence. I'd have to rely on scouting staff I trust.

Last season at the end and into the playoffs he looked NHL ready, and I had nothing but high hopes for him coming into this season.

That said, he did not look good this year.

Defensemen for whatever reason tend to take longer to develop (see Volchenkov) than others, so I'd say its too soon to give up on him.

Also, there have been promising signs from Mike Sharp saying he struggled with accepting the demotion (understandable), but has been turning it around.

I'll take the side of optimism and say hold onto him for a while.

37Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:19 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Good player. Nice potential. Could pan out with some patience. I just don't think he's in the medium-term plans of the Ottawa Senators.

38Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:24 pm

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Do you think Lee is a lost cause and wasted first round pick?
It's interesting to look back at the draft now and see what else was available... but this is all 20/20 of course...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2005e.html

We could of had Kopitar (taken 11th by LA) or Marc Staal (taken 12th by the Rangers).

Kopitar was the top ranked European skater that year too I believe. It stings. We get a guy who's just trying to crack the roster, while LA has a franchise player.

Spezza would already have been traded if we had Kopitar.

39Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:21 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Tim Murray was on Over the edge and talked about Brian LEe. He said when Lee was sent down at the beginning of the season, he took it to heart, had the wrong attitude and played with that wrong attitude in Bingo. He also said his agent sent terrible messages to Bryan and Tim Murray. So Bryan Murray talked to Brian Lee to make himn understand that he was cut not because they didn't like him, but because they thought the AHL was best for him at the moment. Then he started palying better.
So I guess maturity is one of the things that need to be adjusted.

40Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Lee - Have you given up on him? Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:09 pm

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

marakh wrote:Tim Murray was on Over the edge and talked about Brian LEe. He said when Lee was sent down at the beginning of the season, he took it to heart, had the wrong attitude and played with that wrong attitude in Bingo. He also said his agent sent terrible messages to Bryan and Tim Murray. So Bryan Murray talked to Brian Lee to make himn understand that he was cut not because they didn't like him, but because they thought the AHL was best for him at the moment. Then he started palying better.
So I guess maturity is one of the things that need to be adjusted.

His attitude was definitely noticeable in Bingo when I saw him. He is not a crowd favourite down there. I think he will be fine he just needs some time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum