GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Lee

+4
NEELY
SensHulk
tim1_2
PTFlea
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Brian Lee Empty Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

This is one of the more interesting side stories of the year in Ottawa IMO. Long looked at as a puck-mover who could outlet the puck through the neutral zone, or make nice passes on a power player, things have changed for Brian Lee. When he was making risky plays, playing out of his realm of talent/comfort zone, he looked like a complete and utter bust, but when faced with the reality of either adapting his game or risking his career in the NHL, he did an admirable job of changing to a D-man who's a lot harder to play against than the former Mr.Hockey.

What makes this story even more pleasing to the Sens organization - and fans alike - is the many times the Sens have tried to get rid of him. There was a fairly well documented exchange between Lee and coach Cory Clouston last year in Columbus that many thought would spell the end of Lee's tenure in Ottawa, but he went down to Bingo and began transforming himself into a shutdown guy. When he was signed to a two year extension, many people were shaking their heads - even more so when he was waived earlier this year and no one claimed him. What the hell were we doing with this guy?

Sitting for 18 straight games seems to have lit a fire under Lee that won't soon be distinguished:

I wasn’t happy sitting in the stands all that time. I was pretty upset, but I figured and hoped I’d get another chance, and I wanted to be ready, be better when I did. So I tried to learn as much as I could every night.” (Via Don Brennan, Ottawa Sun) “I think I’m playing harder physically. I think before maybe I was a little tentative. Kind of afraid to make a mistake because I never knew what they wanted.

Once I got a chance to play again, I said Diddle that, I’m just going to go out there and play hard. I’m not going to sit back and try to play a perfect game, I’m just going to play hard, go at guys, things like that.”

To Lee's credit, he hasn't just walked the walk, he's played the play so to speak, eventually lining up with Chris Phillips as a shutdown tandem once held by Anton Volchenkov. The questions will still be there in the summer; should he be traded, should he be waived, do we keep him? The answer is yes. 100% yes. Why? Because he's turned things around to the extent that he's now a valuable asset. If scouts were watching the Sens closely around the trade deadline - which I'm sure they were - they'd be absolutely crazy to pass up on him if he was waived again.

Lee's high draft selection will haunt him for a while, but as people in Ottawa start to realize how much he's improved, it's inevitable for the Sens organization to also see it - and nurture it.

So to Brian Lee - I salute you right now, you've done the impossible and changed from a soft puck-mover, to a tough shutdown guy who will be counted on.
Cheers

2Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Now if only he didn’t look like a 14 year old. Yes, he’s become a serviceable NHL defenceman. Let’s not go erecting a statue.

3Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Now if only he didn’t look like a 14 year old. Yes, he’s become a serviceable NHL defenceman. Let’s not go erecting a statue.

Well, I'm not erecting a statue or anything, I'm giving him his due - that he deserves big time IMO.

4Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting stuff. Definitely he deserves credit for keeping his attitude in check after getting benched for so long and now finally he's being depended upon with big responsibilities and he's passing...for now. I hope he can keep this up.

However though, how much has he raised his value league wide? i wouldn't be surprised if he's included in a deal + draft picks to move up some spots in the nhl draft. I mentioned him, or foligno, or regin, or winchester, but definitely should we still include his name in this discussion? i.e. are we sure he's an untouchable? he's on a good run right now and is very affordable for a top pairing d-man.

5Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I said this a very long time ago, Brian Lee has to turn himself into a defensive D man otherwise he won't have a long NHL career. He has seemed to successfully done that and hopefulyl he continues to improve because he has all the tools to be a good one.

6Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:I said this a very long time ago, Brian Lee has to turn himself into a defensive D man otherwise he won't have a long NHL career. He has seemed to successfully done that and hopefulyl he continues to improve because he has all the tools to be a good one.

I was supporting him after the pre-season, but then people turned on him so badly and he got benched. Sort of shrugged and didn't give it much thought, but good for Lee to fight through some seriously huge odds to carve out a niche.

EDIT: and yes, I recall you supporting him when he came back.

7Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:
However though, how much has he raised his value league wide? i wouldn't be surprised if he's included in a deal + draft picks to move up some spots in the nhl draft. I mentioned him, or foligno, or regin, or winchester, but definitely should we still include his name in this discussion? i.e. are we sure he's an untouchable? he's on a good run right now and is very affordable for a top pairing d-man.

Probably not enough to deal. I think this will be a case of him being more valuable to us for the upcoming year than to another team. Especially with Phillips and him having a connection, I would say that we keep him, but if his value does end up being high...who knows.

8Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:55 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:I said this a very long time ago, Brian Lee has to turn himself into a defensive D man otherwise he won't have a long NHL career. He has seemed to successfully done that and hopefulyl he continues to improve because he has all the tools to be a good one.

I was supporting him after the pre-season, but then people turned on him so badly and he got benched. Sort of shrugged and didn't give it much thought, but good for Lee to fight through some seriously huge odds to carve out a niche.

EDIT: and yes, I recall you supporting him when he came back.

Was never really supporting him or bashing him. I was simply realistic. He needed to change his game to stick in The NHL, it was as simple as that. Obviously I went a little more in depth but that's exactly what has been done. I would assume Richardson has a great deal to do with that as well.

9Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:51 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He certainly has the size and frame to be a shutdown D. He just needs to use it to his advantage. Being paired with Phillips will hopefully help this along.

10Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:53 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

shabbs wrote:
He certainly has the size and frame to be a shutdown D. He just needs to use it to his advantage. Being paired with Phillips will hopefully help this along.

He has a defined role which is just as important as anything else in a players game. He knows what his job is and can actually do it. Defining his role as an offensive D man would be a mistake because he can't do it. He can be effective with his size, skating, and his head to fill the role of a shut down D man. In no way is this a bad thing.

11Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think he may be expendable now that Chara and Rundblad are coming up. I liked his game over the past month or so, but don't know if there is room for him next year. I'd much rather have Lee over Carkner though.

12Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:

He has a defined role which is just as important as anything else in a players game. He knows what his job is and can actually do it. Defining his role as an offensive D man would be a mistake because he can't do it. He can be effective with his size, skating, and his head to fill the role of a shut down D man. In no way is this a bad thing.
Volchie 2.0?

Wink

Yeah, I know...

13Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:15 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:I think he may be expendable now that Chara and Rundblad are coming up. I liked his game over the past month or so, but don't know if there is room for him next year. I'd much rather have Lee over Carkner though.

Admirably slip of the keyboard there. Smile

Hopefully, we get to see a few games from Cowen before the season's out.

14Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:17 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

How is his Jr team doing? I understand that he can't be called up before they are eliminated. Are they playoff-bound?

15Brian Lee Empty Re: Brian Lee Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I think he may be expendable now that Chara and Rundblad are coming up. I liked his game over the past month or so, but don't know if there is room for him next year. I'd much rather have Lee over Carkner though.

Admirably slip of the keyboard there. Smile

Hopefully, we get to see a few games from Cowen before the season's out.

Dung, all this Chara talk today, I guess haha.

Avatar, Spokane is in the playoffs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum