GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Continuing struggles: Fisher & Vermette

+4
Riprock
LeCaptain
Cap'n Clutch
Cronie
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Continuing struggles: Fisher & Vermette Empty Continuing struggles: Fisher & Vermette Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:45 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

As any ardent Sens fan will know, at the 25th game mark of this 08/09 season, Fisher and Vermette continue to struggle, and this isn't the first time it's been asked or speculated whether Murray should look at finding Fisher a new home, and since it appears that a few GM's would drool at the prospect of either Fisher and or Vermette, my question is simple: Should Murray see what kind of return he could get if Fisher and Vermette were packaged together?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sure he should but it will be a tough sell to convince Fisher to leave IMO.

- Unknown Author

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Very tough. Ryan Smith tough. I'm pretty sure Vermette + Fisher + Lee + SJ's 1st could get us Jbo UFA + Horton, but it is still too early, because we are starting winning games.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sure he should but it will be a tough sell to convince Fisher to leave IMO.

Isn't Detroit in a predicament with their RFA/UFA's this summer in that they won't be able to sign them all. I bet Fisher won't have a problem going to Motown and Ottawa may be able to get someone like Franzen or Lilja from them.

Then again it depends on whether they want to take that cap room on with Zetterberg etc still to sign.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Franzen's going to want or get more than Fisher from someone, and it better not be the Senators. I can think of better ways to spend that money.

Zetterberg's going to shock many a people when he re-signs a sweetheart deal.

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I just never think it's a good idea to "sell low".

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

DashRiprock wrote:Franzen's going to want or get more than Fisher from someone, and it better not be the Senators. I can think of better ways to spend that money.

Yup, my thinking too.. He'll sign for around what Alfie makes.. That's just my gut feeling

mattshock wrote:I just never think it's a good idea to "sell low".

I was talking to Dawg this morning about what this new economic environment means for the NHL. He said he's not sure but the next couple of days at the winter meetings should shed some light on the Cap and plans moving forward.

With that he said that his team, and many other US teams that he knows of are very concerned of both the economy and the state of the Cdn dollar. He says some people are very concerned that the state of the dollar may have a very large impact on the cap, and may even push it downward. This means very little money for UFA's he said, because some teams have already spent close to the cap and even if it moves down and salaries reduce respectively that means less money available.

Further he said several teams are putting pressure on their minor scouts to come up with the gems they feel they need to round out their pro rosters and allow them to waive/replace the players on their respective teams taking up needed cap dollars.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Franzen's going to want or get more than Fisher from someone, and it better not be the Senators. I can think of better ways to spend that money.

Yeah, it'll be a HUGE hometown discount. Probably Spezza money and term.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sure he should but it will be a tough sell to convince Fisher to leave IMO.

And it'll be a tough sell to convince a team to take that contract. Bottom line, it's Murrays job to soften up the tough sells and make them happen. He should absolutely do it.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hey, IF Fisher can be talked into a trade to a team that needs or is looking at him as a #1 center, then it's not a whole lot to be paying for that role.

Fisher's clearly been struggling, and the contract isn't doing him any good. Yes, he's probably one of the most popular Sens ever, and perhaps Murray overpaid on personality, perhaps hoping for more out of him. Fisher was once not to long ago a Selke nominee. If we could get him to return to that form, they way he was in 06-07, that would be a huge turn around for the team.

I'm nearly positive we are 'stuck' with him. Giving him a NTC was not a great idea.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DashRiprock wrote:Fisher's clearly been struggling, and the contract isn't doing him any good. Yes, he's probably one of the most popular Sens ever, and perhaps Murray overpaid on personality, perhaps hoping for more out of him.

Murray was hoping for a poor-man's Getzlaf and he ended up with a Mike Fisher. Too bad for us.

Fans still cheer loudly when Mike tries to bust in one on four and loses the puck, though. So he can still pretty much do no wrong. Might as well keep paying him.

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:Fisher's clearly been struggling, and the contract isn't doing him any good. Yes, he's probably one of the most popular Sens ever, and perhaps Murray overpaid on personality, perhaps hoping for more out of him.

Murray was hoping for a poor-man's Getzlaf and he ended up with a Mike Fisher. Too bad for us.

Fans still cheer loudly when Mike tries to bust in one on four and loses the puck, though. So he can still pretty much do no wrong. Might as well keep paying him.

Did you hear the ovation he got last night? loudest I've heard almost all season....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum