GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spezza trade

+9
jamvan
PTFlea
Riprock
Sens4thecup
Aetherial
Cronie
Laker
beerandsens
mattshock
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

OMG, this is hilarious... Eklund claims there's a rumour that Vermette will be traded to Nashville for Greg DeVries, though something else will be added to the deal to sweeten the pot for Ottawa... yeah, like not having DeVries and getting someone like Franson and Hamhuis.

47Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:05 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:OMG, this is hilarious... Eklund claims there's a rumour that Vermette will be traded to Nashville for Greg DeVries, though something else will be added to the deal to sweeten the pot for Ottawa... yeah, like not having DeVries and getting someone like Franson and Hamhuis.

:D Yeah, that's the pot sweetener. That we don't have to take DeVries. I'll take Weber for Spezza. Or Vermette for Hamuis. But the day Murray trades Vermette for DeVries is the day he's finally lost his mind and should/will be relieved of his duty.

48Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:11 am

dennycrane

Veteran
Veteran

More often than not, the team that gives up the best player loses the deal in the long run. I can't see Ottawa getting a player as good as Spezza back.

To the original post, I would not trade Spezza for prospects and a pick. I doubt that I would trade him anyways. If I were to, I would want a young established star and a first round pick or two. Vermette, Fisher, Kelly, and McAmmond down the middle isn't horrible if you add in 1 or 2 better wingers and an offensive d-man.

Fisher/Kelly - same sort of strong defensive player who chips in a point every other game. Combined, they are a cap hit of 6.4 million for the next four years including this one. Does this seem like a luxury to anyone else?

My bet is that 2 of Kelly, Vermette, Neil, and Fisher are gone by this time next week. It just isn't working anymore.

49Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:29 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:More often than not, the team that gives up the best player loses the deal in the long run. I can't see Ottawa getting a player as good as Spezza back.

To the original post, I would not trade Spezza for prospects and a pick. I doubt that I would trade him anyways. If I were to, I would want a young established star and a first round pick or two. Vermette, Fisher, Kelly, and McAmmond down the middle isn't horrible if you add in 1 or 2 better wingers and an offensive d-man.

Fisher/Kelly - same sort of strong defensive player who chips in a point every other game. Combined, they are a cap hit of 6.4 million for the next four years including this one. Does this seem like a luxury to anyone else?

My bet is that 2 of Kelly, Vermette, Neil, and Fisher are gone by this time next week. It just isn't working anymore.

How do you move Fisher though? Do you approach him about waiving his NMC, or do I have that wrong? If it hasn't kicked it yet, I would trade Mike Fisher so quickly your head would spin. Bring in the quality D-man!

50Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:11 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

First, you trade his best buddy Chris Neil. Then you approach him. It's cold, but most players will give in, as they will feel unwanted when their employer wants them to go elsewhere.

Say you worked at Burger King and the manager came in and said "I want you to go work at McDonald's." How bad would you want to go in for your next shift?

51Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:55 am

I don't think Fisher would Redden us if Murray asked him to waive. Just doesn't seem like that type of guy. Of course I would have said the same about Redden.

52Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Blame Muckler for the NTC.

53Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I really don't think moving any of these guys will get you anything of fair value. Fisher is having a bad season so far. As is Vermette. And actually the whole team obviously. We'd end up getting hosed. If we can ride it out for a bit longer and either make a deadline move or find a way to get Bouwmeester in to our lineup, we'll be really good down the stretch.

54Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:40 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

dennycrane wrote:First, you trade his best buddy Chris Neil. Then you approach him. It's cold, but most players will give in, as they will feel unwanted when their employer wants them to go elsewhere.

Say you worked at Burger King and the manager came in and said "I want you to go work at McDonald's." How bad would you want to go in for your next shift?
How long is Neil out for now? This might hurt the trade scenario.

I wouldn't count on Fisher even being approached to waive, they won't trade him.

I think it will be Vermette, Schubert and a 1st rounder

for Bouwmeester and Weiss

THis is just something I heard in discussion late last night. Although, Martin is still talking to JayBo to sign with them long term

55Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:48 pm

jamvan wrote:
dennycrane wrote:First, you trade his best buddy Chris Neil. Then you approach him. It's cold, but most players will give in, as they will feel unwanted when their employer wants them to go elsewhere.

I wouldn't count on Fisher even being approached to waive, they won't trade him.

THis is just something I heard in discussion late last night. Although, Martin is still talking to JayBo to sign with them long term

That just doesn't seem like enough for Bouw AND Weiss (who is signed for a nice 3.1 for the next 4 years past this one).

Really think about what Martin gets in return for his franchise D-man and a good young player signed to a sweetheart of a deal. Vermette has never reached his potential (at least what he says his potential is), Schubert while a great utility guy, hasn't been able to stick as a D-man (although it's look more and more like this is the time), and a first which could be easily middle of the pack.

You said you heard this in discussion? Is this a source or just stuff being tossed around on the net? Because if that's actually being considered, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

56Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

hemlock34 wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Maybe throw in Kelly, take away Weiss and add Ballard? (man crush)

That just doesn't seem like enough for Bouw AND Weiss (who is signed for a nice 3.1 for the next 4 years past this one).

Really think about what Martin gets in return for his franchise D-man and a good young player signed to a sweetheart of a deal. Vermette has never reached his potential (at least what he says his potential is), Schubert while a great utility guy, hasn't been able to stick as a D-man (although it's look more and more like this is the time), and a first which could be easily middle of the pack.

You said you heard this in discussion? Is this a source or just stuff being tossed around on the net? Because if that's actually being considered, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

57Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Sens4thecup wrote:
hemlock34 wrote:
jamvan wrote:

Ballard too is on a sexy little contract. I'd say his value is at least that of Weiss if not more. Maybe Kelly gets it done, but Martin sending away Ballard AND Bouwmeester seems suicidal to me.

58Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Instead of that package, why not send Spezza and Vermette for J Bo and Ballard?

59Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Sens4thecup wrote:Instead of that package, why not send Spezza and Vermette for J Bo and Ballard?

Because we'd have next to no offense left. No way we can trade Spezza and Vermette without getting at least a forward back.

60Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

hemlock34 wrote:
Sens4thecup wrote:Instead of that package, why not send Spezza and Vermette for J Bo and Ballard?

Because we'd have next to no offense left. No way we can trade Spezza and Vermette without getting at least a forward back.

I'm just thinking of rebuilding a defensive minded team.

61Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Just some more information, from the guys that bring you the OHL... Spezza is a fantastic player, no question, but one of few superstar players on the team that they can trade. Vermette isn't a superstar and the other guys have NTC's. They likely see a team with cap space taking him (LA) or the deal will be a salary swap.

They also think that there are two dominoes to fall first: Sundin then Gaborik.

62Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Do you guys think we'd be able to get Patrick O'Sullivan out of LA for Vermette and a 1st?

63Spezza trade - Page 4 Empty Re: Spezza trade Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:

Really? That would be the steal of the century for us. I can see that package getting Bow, but that much?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum