GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+5
tim1_2
Flo The Action
Ev
wprager
DefenceWinsChampionships
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Some of this talk of them for sure starting the year without him is dumb. He can sign this weekend and they’d play him in Game 1. His type of game isn’t complicated. He’ll be ready

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Yeah they just need to sign him. Give him a six-year deal or something and move on. This organization continues to be a joke. Their inability to sign players should speak volumes for why there are no fans attending games. They really need to get him signed and squeak out an organizational win here.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yeah they just need to sign him. Give him a six-year deal or something and move on. This organization continues to be a joke. Their inability to sign players should speak volumes for why there are no fans attending games. They really need to get him signed and squeak out an organizational win here.

That's unfair. They've had no issues signing other young players. If he wanted a six year deal, it would be done by now. not sure how the organization can be faulted in these negotiations. Worst case they will have to cave for a bridge deal, but they're not a joke if the Tkachuk camp is holding out for a bridge only.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ian Mendes writes that no player who signed a long-term deal with the Senators has ever finished his contract in Ottawa, so why are we hoping he signs a long-term deal?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Yeah they just need to sign him. Give him a six-year deal or something and move on. This organization continues to be a joke. Their inability to sign players should speak volumes for why there are no fans attending games. They really need to get him signed and squeak out an organizational win here.

Don't lay all the blame on Ottawa. This is how the Tkachuks operate. It ain't pretty. By all accounts, Brady wants a bridge deal, and the Sens want long-term. Tough to meet in the middle when one side wants 8 years and the other wants 3.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Ian Mendes writes that no player who signed a long-term deal with the Senators has ever finished his contract in Ottawa, so why are we hoping he signs a long-term deal?

Didn't he say career? if so, not sure why that matters. I'm not expecting any player to be life-long Sens.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah in my opinion this isn’t solely on Ottawa. If Brady won’t budge on a short term and they want a long term then this could go one for a while and I’m fine with that.
I’m not a fan of any deal shorter than 6 years.
I’d be willing to bet that Tkachuk isn’t a sens player in 6 years if he doesn’t sign for a long term deal.

Totally the type of guy that wants to control his destiny and hit the FA market when he can. It’s his right but it sucks and I’m not gonna fault the sens for trying to prolong his stay in Ottawa. 8x8 is more than fair. Now throw some bonuses in there for a happy Brady.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Yeah in my opinion this isn’t solely on Ottawa. If Brady won’t budge on a short term and they want a long term then this could go one for a while and I’m fine with that.
I’m not a fan of any deal shorter than 6 years.
I’d be willing to bet that Tkachuk isn’t a sens player in 6 years if he doesn’t sign for a long term deal.

Totally the type of guy that wants to control his destiny and hit the FA market when he can. It’s his right but it sucks and I’m not gonna fault the sens for trying to prolong his stay in Ottawa. 8x8 is more than fair. Now throw some bonuses in there for a happy Brady.

If he (more so his agent) wants a bridge then bonuses won’t matter at all. They already don’t matter given the lack of bonuses being handed out.

They should both meet in the middle for five years.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If we are to believe the various reports the Sens offered $8x8 and Tkachuks wanted $8.4 x 8. So the preference for a bridge deal may be just the extra $0.4 in the AAV ($3.2M total). Of course the Sens would not offer anything close to $8M on a 3-year term, probably much closer to $5 x 3. Not sure what Brady expected -- you get higher AAV for term, you get lower AAV for bridge. Can't have it both ways.

The Sens' next move has to come before Monday's deadline (I think it's Monday) to get to the floor. The current floor is $60.2 and the Sens are only $1.152 below that. Ennis made $1M last season, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a $152K raise. Once they reach the floor the pendulum starts swinging the other way, with Brady getting closer to missing actual salary. And then it will swing even harder as we get closer to the December 1 deadline to play this year. I don't think he's cut-throat enough to miss a whole season.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:If we are to believe the various reports the Sens offered $8x8 and Tkachuks wanted $8.4 x 8.  So the preference for a bridge deal may be just the extra $0.4 in the AAV ($3.2M total).  Of course the Sens would not offer anything close to $8M on a 3-year term, probably much closer to $5 x 3.  Not sure what Brady expected -- you get higher AAV for term, you get lower AAV for bridge.  Can't have it both ways.

The Sens' next move has to come before Monday's deadline (I think it's Monday) to get to the floor.  The current floor is $60.2 and the Sens are only $1.152 below that.  Ennis made $1M last season, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a $152K raise.  Once they reach the floor the pendulum starts swinging the other way, with Brady getting closer to missing actual salary.  And then it will swing even harder as we get closer to the December 1 deadline to play this year.  I don't think he's cut-throat enough to miss a whole season.

If they LTIR white, they can sign ennis to a league minimum or $1M max and bring up another player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I forgot that their current cap hit includes 8D. If Brannstrom starts in Belleville (he's the only one on a 2-way contract) then they are closer to $2M below the floor. Ennis would be the 12th forward. Give him $1.2M and bring up Agozzino ($800). Done.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I forgot that their current cap hit includes 8D. If Brannstrom starts in Belleville (he's the only one on a 2-way contract) then they are closer to $2M below the floor.  Ennis would be the 12th forward.  Give him $1.2M and bring up Agozzino ($800). Done.

Doubt Brannstrom is ever sent down

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

He's either sent down or is sitting in the press box.

- Chabot, Zaitsev, Zub are locks
- Mete and Holden have looked great in camp. Holden looked especially good in his last game.
- J. Brown, Brann, MDZ fighting for one spot. It's going to look dumb scratching the guy you just signed to a two year deal...

Unless Brann is playing every night he may as well be playing in Belleville. I don't agree with the logic but I didn't agree with trading for Holden, signing MDZ, or playing J. Brown. Personally I'd put Brown on waivers and if he clears he's a good guy in Belleville. If he doesn't clear then you still have Holden and Brann who can play the right and a couple young guys on the right who showed well at camp. Brann is our best PMD but DJ doesn't like his his size and Mete is a better defender. He might be out of luck here...

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:He's either sent down or is sitting in the press box.

- Chabot, Zaitsev, Zub are locks
- Mete and Holden have looked great in camp. Holden looked especially good in his last game.
- J. Brown, Brann, MDZ fighting for one spot. It's going to look dumb scratching the guy you just signed to a two year deal...

Unless Brann is playing every night he may as well be playing in Belleville. I don't agree with the logic but I didn't agree with trading for Holden, signing MDZ, or playing J. Brown. Personally I'd put Brown on waivers and if he clears he's a good guy in Belleville. If he doesn't clear then you still have Holden and Brann who can play the right and a couple young guys on the right who showed well at camp. Brann is our best PMD but DJ doesn't like his his size and Mete is a better defender. He might be out of luck here...

i think MDZ would be a lock to start, but he'd be similar to Brown last year where he doesn't have to play every game.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ennis signs for $900K

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That puts them under the cap by more than any potential callup. I doubt there's appetite for any more older players, so unless they have a trade in place I'd say this potentially means they are close with Brady.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:That puts them under the cap by more than any potential callup. I doubt there's appetite for any more older players, so unless they have a trade in place I'd say this potentially means they are close with Brady.

it doesn't with White going on IR.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My numbers include White. The IR only helps Melnyk (insurance pays part of salary) or if they are over the ceiling (lol).

Tough break for White -- 4 to 6 months (shoulder surgery).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum