GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+7
wprager
Flo The Action
Lagoon
tim1_2
PTFlea
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 66 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I see our future D core as:

Chabot - XXXXXX
Sanderson - JBD
Brannstrom - Zaitsev

Then guys like Zub, Kleven and Thomson pushing for spots (ideally Zaitsev out). I don't think there is room for Wolanin and I'd argue that we should be using Brannstrom as a trade chip.

There are some interesting RHD options like Dougie Hamilton who could come in and play top-two minutes. They'd obviously cost a premium to sign. Or you can take a gamble and go after an RFA like Cal Foote. Not sure using another top-five pick to draft a dman is wise

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

No way you have a second pairing of two guys in they're first pro season. Zub has been, arguably, their best defenseman, and he's your 7th?

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Another tough night in Edmonton. Nothing to see, move along.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:No way you have a second pairing of two guys in they're first pro season. Zub has been, arguably, their best defenseman, and he's your 7th?  

Future. Not next year. Probably towards end of next season or 2 years out

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

JBD is 20 though. Next year he'll be the same age as Brannstrom so seeing him in the lineup isn't that farfetched

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

JBD is likely the only one who could be in the lineup next season (this season, too, but just for a game or two). I could see him, eventually, becoming the steady presence that Chabot needs in a partner.

The left side is stocked, overloaded, if anything. I don't see Brannston here long-term with Sanderson going pro at the end of his UND season. Especially if Dorion isn't around to defend his "proudest day". Imagine if they take Power in the upcoming draft.

The right side is pretty weak, JBD will absolutely have a chance to make the roster.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:JBD is likely the only one who could be in the lineup next season (this season, too, but just for a game or two). I could see him, eventually, becoming the steady presence that Chabot needs in a partner.

The left side is stocked, overloaded, if anything. I don't see Brannston here long-term with Sanderson going pro at the end of his UND season. Especially if Dorion isn't around to defend his "proudest day". Imagine if they take Power in the upcoming draft.

The right side is pretty weak, JBD will absolutely have a chance to make the roster.

I think it’s a lot to right now appoint JBD as a top pairing guy down the stretch. Let’s start to see how he fairs in the NHL or even on the 2nd pairing.
I think Zub has the potential to slide in that top spot in a pinch. The reason he likely hasn’t before now is because that second pairing is horrendous without him this season.

I could see a world where Brannstrom is traded. His value isn’t what it was when Pierre made that verbal fumble but he could be part of a package eventually.
I’d advise waiting another year before pulling those triggers though. He has a spot to fill right now. DJ might not seem like his biggest fan but Brannstrom might outlive DJ in the organization. Barring a turn around, I think DJ is fired midway next season if the team doesn’t turn a corner. He’s not terrible or bad even, just don’t see him as a coach that brings these guys further or is extremely good at coaching.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I could see Dorion either trading for a RHD or going after one in the UFA market. After his acquisition of Dadonov, I think it’s not impossible to see Melnyk allowing for one decent off season aquisition a summer.
And with teams likely being handcuffed by the cap and Covid repercussions for the next few years, the sens might be one of the few teams able to give out interesting contracts to UFAs.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Who do you guys see the sens drafting this summer?

Power would be a total Sens/Dorion move, but not one I’d totally be happy with (well, not unhappy but LHD is likely one of the strongest position we have right now).

Bernier also feels like a sens pick but not the kind of guy you go after with a top 3 pick (which is likely at this point).

Eklund feels like a decent pick for this class. Most likely a top 6 winger at the NHL.

Clarke could be a decent option if we do draft a D. But not likely a top 3 pick.

Johnson is an interesting name out there and could very well C a top 6line down the road. Not likely to be a top line guy but has high upside it seems.

Finally Raty. I think he’s dropped down the charts but could very well be one of the steals of the draft if he drafts. Doesn’t seem like he had a very good start of the year but there’s a possibility that he turns it on again.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They’ll pick their best player available regardless of position. It’s a total crapshoot this year though and we dont even know where they’ll finish. Any of like 8-10 guys could be their pick

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:They’ll pick their best player available regardless of position. It’s a total crapshoot this year though and we dont even know where they’ll finish. Any of like 8-10 guys  could be their pick
I agree that they won’t likely follow any sort of ranking that’s out there by the summer. There just isn’t anyone that’s heads above anyone else in the first third of the draft.

I’d still be very surprised(and disappointed) if we went after a LHD though.

There is that element of crapshoot as you said. But there are players that you can evaluate tht have played in Europe.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Would be cool if they had a tournament of eligible players pre draft. Whl, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA and an international team or two.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Would be cool if they had a tournament of eligible players pre draft. Whl, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA and an international team or two.
Ouffff. Agreed but the logistics of that 😅.
That be one hard thing to organize.
Besides, would it really show a true picture? So,et of these players haven’t been playing any hockey so it’s not a mini tournament that would show progression.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Better than nothing , no ? And maybe two teams per league. I think it would be pretty cool and would bring a lot of attention to the NHL

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

That was a nice PP with nice passing and execution.
Got to call em out when they’re there!

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It’s kinda crazy that you can pull your goalie with more than 5 minutes left in the game.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Suckers!

If anything, continually embarrassing the leafs has been the highlight of the season.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

Daccord ! Super happy for the guy. Wonder if they play him or Murray tonight

Also - his tv and radio interviews were awesome. Such a likeable guy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 66 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum