GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs

+3
tim1_2
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If you think they're trading Matthews, you really have great drugs and I'd like some please. I despise Matthews. And there's a reason he doesn't have a letter on his chest. That said, with a solid D addition, they'll be OK. Keep in mind they would have likely beaten Columbus without Muzzin getting injured, and if Korpisalo hadn't played out of his mind.

17Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

He has the 'A', doesn't he?

18Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:28 am

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:If you think they're trading Matthews, you really have great drugs and I'd like some please.  I despise Matthews.  And there's a reason he doesn't have a letter on his chest.  That said, with a solid D addition, they'll be OK.  Keep in mind they would have likely beaten Columbus without Muzzin getting injured, and if Korpisalo hadn't played out of his mind.

Not sure I agree. Josh Anderson, had he been healthy, would have run right through their forwards. And how are they supposed to add a d-man? They're against the cap as it is and that's including paying Barrie at 50% and getting Spezza at the NHL minimum. They're now going to be down Barrie, Ceci, Clifford, and need to re-sign Dermott and Mikheyev. They're in a world of trouble.

19Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:49 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yes, they have cap issues. They aren't about to trade Auston Matthews though.

20Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:50 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:He has the 'A', doesn't he?

I think Marner and Matthews alternated having the 'A'. It was dumb. Anyway, in that elimination game, he didn't have a letter on his chest.

21Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:36 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:Yes, they have cap issues.  They aren't about to trade Auston Matthews though.

Trading Nylander doesn't really solve any cap problems. He'll net you a second pairing d-man, which they're almost better off keeping Ceci, and his cap hit of < $7M isn't bad. Their big mistake was signing Tavares. They'd have been so much better off trying to add a top pairing d-man - instead it resulted in them being in cap hell.

22Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:49 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

I think they should look at a team like Minnesota and go after their 1st rd pick, Dumba, Foligno, and another piece or two

23Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:17 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think they should look at a team like Minnesota and go after their 1st rd pick, Dumba, Foligno, and another piece or two

Something of that magnitude just isn't going to happen. I'm not sure why Columbus would want to do that either. It's fun to think about superstars being traded...but it ain't happening here.

24Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing the Toronto Maple Leafs Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:I think they should look at a team like Minnesota and go after their 1st rd pick, Dumba, Foligno, and another piece or two

Something of that magnitude just isn't going to happen.  I'm not sure why Columbus would want to do that either.  It's fun to think about superstars being traded...but it ain't happening here.

Minnesota. They're about to lose Koivu and Galchenyuk and need to get younger. Matthews will not be a Leaf for life. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome. Matthews is their biggest trade chip.

Listen, I am not suggesting it happens but I don't think the Leafs come close to winning the cup given their lineup. Their best chance was probably last season when they had Kadri and Marleau. They're a mess now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum