GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility?

+4
PTFlea
TheAvatar
smash88
SensGirl11
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:Gaborik couldn't even hold Malkin's jockstrap. Give me a break.

Exactly, because he plays in the Northwest under Lemaire in a small-market.

Gaborik is a tremendous all-around player, it's just people don't really have the chance to notice it. He would easily be a 40-45, 90-100 point winger in an offensive system in the East.

Plus Mikko Koivu is no slouch.

17Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:

Gaborik is a tremendous all-around player, it's just people don't really have the chance to notice it. He would easily be a 40-45, 90-100 point winger in an offensive system in the East.

If he also wasn't injured 40 games a year. Malkin is guaranteed 100+ points. Gaborik is possibly, if he stays healthy which he never does, a 90+ point player.

I don't even want to begin to think what kind of numbers Malkin would put up if he was first line center with quality wingers (Nash, Heatley, Iginla, Zetterberg, etc...)

18Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:54 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

PKC wrote:
asq2 wrote:

If he also wasn't injured 40 games a year. Malkin is guaranteed 100+ points. Gaborik is possibly, if he stays healthy which he never does, a 90+ point player.

I don't even want to begin to think what kind of numbers Malkin would put up if he was first line center with quality wingers (Nash, Heatley, Iginla, Zetterberg, etc...)

Gaborik's linemates aren't that much better. What kind of numbers do you think Malkin would put up in the Northwest under Lemaire?

Anyway, Mikko Koivu is pretty awesome too (and has a great contract). I don't think a Selke-calibre 60-70 point centre and a near Selke-calibre 90-100 point winger is a huge stretch in exchange for Malkin.

Anyway, it's just a hypothetical situation. Certainly Gaborik's value is not the same as Malkin's because while I think they are of a similar calibre, Malkin is younger, less injury-prone and has a better contract situation. Which is why I included Koivu.

19Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:06 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:
smash88 wrote:Malkin is ten times the player than Gaborik... If I were Pitts I wouldn't go anywhere near this deal...

No he isn't. Gaborik is pretty damn good, the only problem is he's stuck in a restrictive system, he's injury prone and his contract situation is far worse.

That's why I've been proposing:

To Minny:
Evgeni Malkin

To Pittsburgh:
Marian Gaborik
Mikko Koivu

That's probably a deal. Not just Gaborik for Malkin, but if Minny tosses in a rapidly emerging star/superstar, it's close.

I think it has to be more creative to get done.

I think it's:

Malkin
Gonchar/Letang/Whitney
Goligoski

for
Gaborik
Burns

Minny gets the clearly better forward, signed to a decent deal, Pittsburgh gets the clearly better D man with the awesome deal. Pitts adds a blue chip prospect who's already playing NHL hockey - and I think this deal goes down.

20Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:31 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think the Wild will be giving up Burns any time soon.

21Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

Uh maybe Malkin for Gaborik... and Minnesota's next 5 first round picks.

Not even close in value. Malkin may still turn out to be the best player in the NHL. He is already at least top 5.

No way that Gaborik is even close to that, in fact, he isn't close to top 10.

22Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Aetherial wrote:Uh maybe Malkin for Gaborik... and Minnesota's next 5 first round picks.

Not even close in value. Malkin may still turn out to be the best player in the NHL. He is already at least top 5.

Exactly this is a horrible deal for Pittsburgh, I really can't see them doing this deal...

23Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Gaborik is a good starting point, but it would take at least another NHL player + prospect + picks to get it done.

Malkin is one of the most dominant players in the league, and is an echilon above Gaborik as far as trade value goes.

24Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:45 am

Aetherial

Aetherial
Rookie
Rookie

smash88 wrote:
Aetherial wrote:Uh maybe Malkin for Gaborik... and Minnesota's next 5 first round picks.

Exactly this is a horrible deal for Pittsburgh, I really can't see them doing this deal...

Crosby, Spezza, Iginla, Thornton, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Lecavalier, Ovechkin.

All are better than Gaborik. I would put him somewhere in the next group with Stastny, Staal, Kopitar, Cammalleri, Horton, Richards, Briere, Gomez, the Sedins, etc.

25Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:48 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

I completely agree with that assessment.

26Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malkin for Gaborik...Possibility? Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:22 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Aetherial wrote:
smash88 wrote:

Crosby, Spezza, Iginla, Thornton, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Lecavalier, Ovechkin.

All are better than Gaborik. I would put him somewhere in the next group with Stastny, Staal, Kopitar, Cammalleri, Horton, Richards, Briere, Gomez, the Sedins, etc.

He's far, far better than the Sedins, or Briere/Gomez, or Cammalleri.

He's on the same level as Hossa IMO, he just hasn't had a chance to prove it.

So give Crosby his winger and throw in a downgrade from Malkin but upgrade from Staal in M.Koivu, and I think it's alright.

The Wild will not trade Burns. His contract is too amazing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum