GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malkin possibly on the move?

+7
SDH89
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
asq2
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
SensFan71
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 9]

1Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

This is nothing more than a rumour blogger's opinion as I read it on a blog on the hockey news, but John Grigg's has mentioned that Pittsburgh should move Malkin as they have a log jam at the center position and will be facing cap issues in the near future. This is the proposed deal he is suggesting.

Malkin and a fifth round pick to Edmonton for the first overall selection, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson and Sheldon Souray

I am sure Souray is just a salary dump for Edmonton, which is crucial in the cap era, however, the possibilities of Taylor Hall playing with Crosby, then having MPS in the fold for Pittsburgh would just be scary beyond belief.

Here's the link to the blog:
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33579-THNcom-Playoff-Blog-Penguins-must-trade-Malkin.html

Last edited by SensFan71 on Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total

2Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Not really a rumour. It's more of a blogger's musings.

- Unknown Author

3Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Not really a rumour. It's more of a blogger's musings.

musings, that is most correct, but maybe something the Pens have to consider so they don't end up like a chicago in 3 years or less.

4Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Malkin is not gonna be traded. Also, stop reminding me of MPS, to this day I still wish we took him. Malkin possibly on the move? 747605

5Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am

Who knows but Malkin has to be moved if Pitts wants to create that dynasty they want. Malkin isnt the answer in Pitts and they would be better off getting two guys like MPS and Hall.

As for Edmonton, I dont see how Malkin wouldnt be a great fit there. You add him to Penner, Gagne, Hemsky, that's a very solid lineup up front.

That being said, it wont happen like EV said.

6Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:04 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They'll draft Kabanov and be set for years to come with Crosby, Malkin, Kabanov, and Tangradi. Just my hunch.

7Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Who knows but Malkin has to be moved if Pitts wants to create that dynasty they want. Malkin isnt the answer in Pitts and they would be better off getting two guys like MPS and Hall.

As for Edmonton, I dont see how Malkin wouldnt be a great fit there. You add him to Penner, Gagne, Hemsky, that's a very solid lineup up front.

What are you talking about? He had an off-year but he's only a year removed from an Art Ross and a Conn Smythe (with 36!! points in the post-season). There's no "answer" needed here; they've won a Cup and made the Finals twice and their two best players are 23 and under. They just ran into Halak this season.

Besideswhich, do you honestly think that Hall and MPS, if they hit their potential, are going to cost less combined than Malkin's $8.7 million? Plus they've just taken on a salary dump in Souray.

8Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a good idea to move Malkin personally. When the 3 centers are firing on all cylinders, they're near impossible.

What they need to do is have a couple of guys on ELCs come in and play wings for them.

Trade Kunitz, let Guerin ride into the sunset, let Gonchar walk (this will kill) and try to fill the wings with exciting, speedy players who have a nose for the net. Which is what they'll do.

9Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am

N4L wrote:Who knows but Malkin has to be moved if Pitts wants to create that dynasty they want. Malkin isnt the answer in Pitts and they would be better off getting two guys like MPS and Hall.

The problem is Malkin won't re-sign back as a UFA when his contract is up. With Eberle, Hall, MPS, etc they have three years under entry level contracts, then have to go through RFA status, etc totalling more than what Malkin has left on his contract. Way too much potential to give up for a guy that won't be happy in Edmonton.

10Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kovalfie wrote:

The problem is Malkin won't re-sign back as a UFA when his contract is up. With Eberle, Hall, MPS, etc they have three years under entry level contracts, then have to go through RFA status, etc totalling more than what Malkin has left on his contract. Way too much potential to give up for a guy that won't be happy in Edmonton.

I think EDM makes the deal AND signs Kovalchuk. Malkin possibly on the move? 159628

11Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure it's a good idea to move Malkin personally. When the 3 centers are firing on all cylinders, they're near impossible.

What they need to do is have a couple of guys on ELCs come in and play wings for them.

Trade Kunitz, let Guerin ride into the sunset, let Gonchar walk (this will kill) and try to fill the wings with exciting, speedy players who have a nose for the net. Which is what they'll do.

Nathan Horton perhaps? With Tallon in Florida, maybe anything is possible, even though I would want Murray to get first dibs on Horton, but with our cap situation, not happening.

12Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am

Well, you dont have to worry about that for a long time if you are The Pens, plus you bring in guys to help Crosby.

I dont like what Ive seen from Malkin in the playoffs for except for basically 3 series they have played total, and all 3 were last year. IMO The Pens would have more success with a solid group of wingers playing with Crosby and Staal then they would with Staal, Malkin, and Crisby down the middle. Yes, they won a cup but I still think Malkin is the key to The Pens being good for a long time and it starts with dealing Malkin.

13Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 10:55 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensFan71 wrote:
Nathan Horton perhaps? With Tallon in Florida, maybe anything is possible, even though I would want Murray to get first dibs on Horton, but with our cap situation, not happening.

Horton still costs too much. They need a guy like...I don't know...Andrew Brunette let's say. Someone who's younger than Guerin, but still has the veteran experience and can still bury the puck.

I'd say Milan Hejduk, but he's too expensive and he's an AV for life. Someone like that, someone making 2-2.5 million who can step in and score with aplomb. What a chance of a lifetime for an older player who still has pop. They could score more in Pittsburgh than they ever have before.

14Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:

I think EDM makes the deal AND signs Kovalchuk. Malkin possibly on the move? 159628

Now we're talking. Too bad he'd turn down max money in Edmonton...

15Malkin possibly on the move? Empty Re: Malkin possibly on the move? Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

Horton still costs too much. They need a guy like...I don't know...Andrew Brunette let's say. Someone who's younger than Guerin, but still has the veteran experience and can still bury the puck.

I'd say Milan Hejduk, but he's too expensive and he's an AV for life. Someone like that, someone making 2-2.5 million who can step in and score with aplomb. What a chance of a lifetime for an older player who still has pop. They could score more in Pittsburgh than they ever have before.

Matt Cullen?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 9]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum