GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GDT - Game #36: Wings @ Sens, Dec 29, 2016, 8:00pm - ALFIE NIGHT

+3
SensHulk
Flo The Action
tim1_2
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Pretty neat ceremony. I thought the team played OK. It'll be amazing once Matrix gets back, assuming he can resume #beastmode.

I continue to have fears that Bobby and Phaneuf are eating up too many budget dollars, but there's not much to be done about that at this point in time. Bobby is probably worth about $4.5M per year at his current level of play, and Phaneuf is about a $4M defenceman.

Anyway, there are all kinds of reasons to remain optimistic given that we still haven't had a healthy lineup this season and our #1 goalie hasn't been around.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Man, do you ever underrate phaneuf tim.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I like Phaneuf and I very much appreciate what he brings in terms of a hard-nosed, physical, dirty defenceman. I just think his best years are behind him and he sometimes has trouble keeping up with the play. I don't think that calling him a $4M defenceman is an insult. If you look at the list of defencemen making around $4M, he fits in pretty well with that group. Methot is $4.9M, and I'd say he's a step above Dion right now.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What the hell kind of pass was that? One handed backhand shove along the boards? Awful finish to the game. I saw the first period and the end. A bit of an unlucky goal on the first one, just trickled in and out of his glove on the deflection. What was the second one like? I can't Blake goon for the one on the OT but feel like the first one was preventable in a few ways. Up to that point in time the Sens were outplaying the Wings, but that whole shift leading up to the goal was garbage.

Frustrating, and totally expected. I really hate these ceremonies because they pretty much ruin the game most of the time. Even worse for raising the banner for Cup Winners. Bet the visiting team would love nothing better than to get the W. They really should do these things separate from any games. Make it free for the public.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

There was no issue with the ceremony affecting the game. Both the Wings and Sens players were out for the entire thing. The Sens had a bit of a sluggish start (the shots were like 8-1 after the first few minutes), but then things settled down.

The pass by Bobby up the boards leading to the OT winner wasn't great, but he made the safer play instead of trying to throw it right up the middle. It was just bad luck. I'm not sure I would have Bobby out there in OT anyway with his lack of speed, but he also has the ability to pot a winner, so what can ya do....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He needed to go backwards with it behind the net to protect possession.  What a silly play that was.  Sometimes he looks great other times brutal

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:Pretty neat ceremony.  I thought the team played OK.  It'll be amazing once Matrix gets back, assuming he can resume #beastmode.  

I continue to have fears that Bobby and Phaneuf are eating up too many budget dollars, but there's not much to be done about that at this point in time.  Bobby is probably worth about $4.5M per year at his current level of play, and Phaneuf is about a $4M defenceman.  

Anyway, there are all kinds of reasons to remain optimistic given that we still haven't had a healthy lineup this season and our #1 goalie hasn't been around.

Losing a surging Young Smitty was devastating.

DefenceWinsChampionships

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Pretty neat ceremony.  I thought the team played OK.  It'll be amazing once Matrix gets back, assuming he can resume #beastmode.  

I continue to have fears that Bobby and Phaneuf are eating up too many budget dollars, but there's not much to be done about that at this point in time.  Bobby is probably worth about $4.5M per year at his current level of play, and Phaneuf is about a $4M defenceman.  

Losing a surging Young Smitty was devastating.

I am okay with Phaneuf (for now). I am done with Ryan though.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, both teams were affected by the schedule change, but only one affected at the emotional level. I've seen plenty of these games when I was living in Montreal. The home team usually foes not do very well. It doesn't always translate into a loss, and the Ryan pass on OT had nothing to do with the ceremony. But this should have been a 3-1 score for the Senators. They just took too long to get going, and even then they were not playing up tempo enough to draw penalties. Five shots on goal on the third, two minors for tripping and slashing Tatar and only one minor drawn on a high stick from the same player. They had nothing left after two periods.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum