GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

My personal blog

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

For those that are interested and that don't follow me on Facebook. Here is a link to my entire collection of Facebook posts all in one convenient blog location.

http://denialfeargriefandlove.blogspot.ca/

Share this post on: reddit

Post Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Another contribution to my personal blog.  Not to worry people.  This one is all positive.

https://denialfeargriefandlove.blogspot.ca/

Some new youtube videos up on my channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0EGoGmsWbfJAQrt6rhRDMg

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:34 pm by wprager

So what does a Tesla go for in Canada? I saw a Model-X on the 417 a couple weeks ago. That one is over $100K in Canada ($83K USD list price). I take it the Model 3 is a bit more cap-friendly? But still, how many years do you have to drive it to recoup the cost in fuel savings? Any government rebates/tax breaks for it?

Flo The Action

Post Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 pm by Flo The Action

wprager wrote:So what does a Tesla go for in Canada? I saw a Model-X on the 417 a couple weeks ago.  That one is over $100K in Canada ($83K USD list price).  I take it the Model 3 is a bit more cap-friendly?  But still, how many years do you have to drive it to recoup the cost in fuel savings?  Any government rebates/tax breaks for it?
This may be the wrong thread...

Cap'n Clutch

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 am by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:So what does a Tesla go for in Canada? I saw a Model-X on the 417 a couple weeks ago.  That one is over $100K in Canada ($83K USD list price).  I take it the Model 3 is a bit more cap-friendly?  But still, how many years do you have to drive it to recoup the cost in fuel savings?  Any government rebates/tax breaks for it?

The Model 3 is going for 35,000 US. No Canadian prices released yet but, there's government rebates totaling $14000. So, throw in some decent upgrades to the base model and it's probably closer to 42,000 US.

Canadian $56808.99 X GST (11%) = 63057.98
63057.98 - $14000 (Gov incentive) = 49057.98

For the quality of car you're getting and the convenience of never stopping for gas plus the added bonus of going 0-60mph in less than 6 seconds in the base model and less than 3 seconds with "ludicrous mode" it's all about vanity with a touch of never worrying about gas for a price I can afford Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 am by Cap'n Clutch

Flo The Action wrote:
This may be the wrong thread...

I wrote a bit about getting the Model 3 in my latest blog. That's why it seems out of place in here.

wprager

Post Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:34 am by wprager

I'm still wondering what an electric car will do in this climate. Does it take more electricity to keep it cool in California or warm in Canada? You can roll down windows to help with the former but not much you can do about the latter (especially considering keeping the windshield clear of ice). So I'm a little concerned that started driving distances will not be reached in winter months.

Also, with the autonomous driving, visibility on Canada is pretty awful all year long. On the US they often embed reflective strips on the road to help identify lanes on the dark. Can't do that when the roads are regularly plowed. Plus loss of visibility from the snow itself. But that is a different topic (autonomous cars).

I'm seriously considering a hybrid next time.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 am by Cap'n Clutch

You lose a significant amount of range in the winter.  My plug in hybrid Volt goes from about 65km per charge, mostly hwy, in the summer to about 40km in the winter.  Assuming the technology is very similar then I'd say your 215 mile projected range is your max for the summer and Tesla bases that on driving 105kph.  Given that I'd say you're looking at worst case, driving mostly hwy and not driving 105kph but much higher, I'd get about 130 miles.  Still more than I need for driving around town.  I have a larger gas powered vehicle for road trips.

spader

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 am by spader

Cap'n Clutch wrote:You lose a significant amount of range in the winter.  My plug in hybrid Volt goes from about 65km per charge, mostly hwy, in the summer to about 40km in the winter.  Assuming the technology is very similar then I'd say your 215 mile projected range is your max for the summer and Tesla bases that on driving 105kph.  Given that I'd say you're looking at worst case, driving mostly hwy and not driving 105kph but much higher, I'd get about 130 miles.  Still more than I need for driving around town.  I have a larger gas powered vehicle for road trips.

My truck read -38C this morning. Think that would get me 5km if it was electric? Laugh1

wprager

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:06 am by wprager

Unless you do road trips regularly, you may want to consider just renting for those times. Three years ago the engine light came on in the van 3 days before a scheduled trip to NYC. Ended up renting a Ford Flex with all the bells&whistles for the week. Cost about $400. Now we no-longer have the van and the Trax holds 4 comfortably. Had a family wedding to go to in the US with all six of us so, again, rented a 7 seater, this time a grand caravan. Only a long weekend trip, cost even less than that.

If you are doing one-two trips a year, considering the extra cost (if you regularly need two cars for commuting) in gas, plus depreciation and maintenance on a bigger vehicle, might make sense to do that instead. In addition to everything else you usually get a brand new car with all the extras.

wprager

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:07 am by wprager

spader wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:You lose a significant amount of range in the winter.  My plug in hybrid Volt goes from about 65km per charge, mostly hwy, in the summer to about 40km in the winter.  Assuming the technology is very similar then I'd say your 215 mile projected range is your max for the summer and Tesla bases that on driving 105kph.  Given that I'd say you're looking at worst case, driving mostly hwy and not driving 105kph but much higher, I'd get about 130 miles.  Still more than I need for driving around town.  I have a larger gas powered vehicle for road trips.

My truck read -38C this morning. Think that would get me 5km if it was electric? Laugh1

That's WFH weather (working from home). Guess in your case that's not possible.

spader

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 am by spader

wprager wrote:
spader wrote:

That's WFH weather (working from home).  Guess in your case that's not possible.

It could be today. My class of 30 students is currently empty.

Flo The Action

Post Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm by Flo The Action

If you can wait a little bit, I think musk was talking that soon their batteries will be able to support charges that could take their cars over the 400 km mark per charge. It might of been 500 but I don't want to push the prowess of the car.

I would advise anyone on getting a tesla. Pretty good cars. A lot of the negativity you hear against them is generated by bloggers who receive benefits from other car manufacturers. Lets not say there's a conspiracy against Tesla but it's a pretty common approach amongst marketing tactics. And they do hate Tesla.

wprager

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:00 am by wprager

What I'd like to know is when these cars will drop to normal prices. Maintenance must be a lot lower, what with not needing a series of small controlled explosions all the time. So they should not need to put nearly as much into warranty repairs. Also the newer companies, like Tesla, don't have the crippling cost of the pension plan (a few years back something like $2k of each sale went to service that pension plan).

So why are electric cars still so expensive?

Flo The Action

Post Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:48 am by Flo The Action

wprager wrote:What I'd like to know is when these cars will drop to normal prices. Maintenance must be a lot lower, what with not needing a series of small controlled explosions all the time. So they should not need to put nearly as much into warranty repairs.  Also the newer companies, like Tesla, don't have the crippling cost of the pension plan (a few years back something like $2k of each sale went to service that pension plan).

So why are electric cars still so expensive?
My guess? They still don't benefit from the same economies of scale savings that other manufacturers do.

wprager

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:46 am by wprager

Is he serious?

Model 3 was going to be called Model E, for obvious dumb humor reasons, but Ford sued to block it, so now it is S3X. Totally different Smile

— ElonMusk (@elonmusk) March 24, 2017

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 am by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:Is he serious?

Model 3 was going to be called Model E, for obvious dumb humor reasons, but Ford sued to block it, so now it is S3X. Totally different Smile

— ElonMusk (@elonmusk) March 24, 2017

And an upcoming Model is set to be called the Y. Not even kidding.

So it would be S3XY! Sarcasm

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum