GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+13
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
dennycrane
Hobiesens
Hoags
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
Ev
SensHulk
Flo The Action
PTFlea
spader
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/19/hoffman-thrilled-with-senators-decision-to-hire-boucher

Hoffman said Boucher “wants the best out of his players” — but really, what coach doesn’t? — then added, “and the biggest thing is, he respects his players.”

You don't say ...

“He’s excellent at figuring out players, whether to push them or just leave them alone. He’s very good at controlling his team. I think part of that comes from the psychology background and all that stuff he has his degrees in, which is extremely important in sports.”

Good read.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/19/hoffman-thrilled-with-senators-decision-to-hire-boucher

Hoffman said Boucher “wants the best out of his players” — but really, what coach doesn’t? — then added, “and the biggest thing is, he respects his players.”

You don't say ...

“He’s excellent at figuring out players, whether to push them or just leave them alone. He’s very good at controlling his team. I think part of that comes from the psychology background and all that stuff he has his degrees in, which is extremely important in sports.”

Good read.
Really sounds like Hoffman has a much more optimistic position on being a senator. Also sounds like both sides want a long term contract. Let's see what the money looks like.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoffman's comments are bizarre. He says he learned how to play a complete game and listen to coaches when that has been his exact issue these last three years. He hasn't learned ANYTHING.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Hoffman's comments are bizarre. He says he learned how to play a complete game and listen to coaches when that has been his exact issue these last three years. He hasn't learned ANYTHING.
He learned what got him this far. It's not only about the message, it's how you send it. Boucher obviously found a way to reach Hoffman, and obviously it was different with Cameron and Mac. Maybe Hoffman needs to have his strengths encouraged instead of being penalized for him to buy into the rest of the system.
There's a lot of psychology involved with young players and even more when they start perceiving themselves as stars.

Cameron to me to be a coach better suited to juniors. Boucher 's background in sports psychology is very interesting to me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The operative word here is "respect". A coach can be demanding of a player without treating him with disrespect. Cameron didn't figure that out. Telling a high-end skill forward like Hoffman that he wanted a team full of Borowieckis (and then following up by playing Boro up-front while sitting Hoffman) is not a good way to reach a player like that.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:The operative word here is "respect".  A coach can be demanding of a player without treating him with disrespect.  Cameron didn't figure that out.  Telling a high-end skill forward like Hoffman that he wanted a team full of Borowieckis (and then following up by playing Boro up-front while sitting Hoffman) is not a good way to reach a player like that.
Let alone win games consistently

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sens sign Tom Pyatt to a 1 year two-way deal.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Sens sign Tom Pyatt to a 1 year two-way deal.

tumbleweed

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Who the heck is that?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tampa Bay Lightning from 2011-2013, that explains a fair bit. Huh...Bingo bound or perhaps 4th liner I guess.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispensed wrote:Tampa Bay Lightning from 2011-2013, that explains a fair bit.  Huh...Bingo bound or perhaps 4th liner I guess.

Also played for the Habs. But what likely explains the most is the fact that he's been playing in the Swiss league the last two years. Depth move, for sure.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

$800K/200K...clearly a Bingo move.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He was a part of obe of the great trades in NHL history....when Montreal traded for Gomez. That's a personal favourite of mine.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:He was a part of obe of the great trades in NHL history....when Montreal traded for Gomez. That's a personal favourite of mine.

You have a bad cold or is it allergy season?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:

$800K/200K...clearly a Bingo move.

$200K is a nice chunk of change for the AHL, but Swiss LNA salaries are in the $150-400K range.  Pyatt was likely making more than $200K over there.  Could be he just wanted to come back to NA, or maybe there is a good chance he will see some time in Ottawa.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

My guess is this comes under boucher/Crawford recommendation when Dorion told them we needed to be able to call up some experienced depth for the bottom two lines instead of constantly rookies which in the past might have put us in a bad spot. Pretty good chance he sees a few game depending on where we stand.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's depth for sure, Bingo was f-ing disgustingly bad last year, so I think they want to make sure we're a lot better. Plus, a couple of our best players will be green rookies, like Perron. You want them to learn from a pro how to prepare etc.

Then you can call the guy up if you want to continue to season Paul in the AHL, but the first thing I thought of was Lazar. Could they be planning on starting him in the AHL? A buddy of mine thought so and said as much the other day and it wouldn't hurt.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:It's depth for sure, Bingo was f-ing disgustingly bad last year, so I think they want to make sure we're a lot better.  Plus, a couple of our best players will be green rookies, like Perron.  You want them to learn from a pro how to prepare etc.

Then you can call the guy up if you want to continue to season Paul in the AHL, but the first thing I thought of was Lazar.  Could they be planning on starting him in the AHL?  A buddy of mine thought so and said as much the other day and it wouldn't hurt.
I would agree with that move but Will It happen? I doubt it. He's been playing in the league for two years... Slap in the face. But if anyone can take that kind of slap it's lazar. They really mucked it up with him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum