GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+15
spader
Vandelay
asq2
LeCaptain
rooneypoo
dennycrane
Ev
Oglethorpe
Flo The Action
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
tim1_2
PTFlea
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:I've said that for a while.  Boro is very good.  I tip my hat that Cowen turned it around, he must have worked his Donkey off, but if a deal comes up for BFR 2.0 and they insist on Cowen, I'd certainly think about it - and mostly because Boro has firmly planted himself here.  

Boro has planted himself as much as Wiercioch so far

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I think they still try and move Wierchioch but again I am not entirely sure Cowen won't be moved in that so called "Ryan type deal".  Edmonton and Coloradoare both looking for top 4 d men that can be used now and long into the future.  The risk of moving Cowen is no longer there with Methot being tied up to a perfect term and $$$ type deal.

Still can't believe they go Methot under 5 mil and under 5 years.  Impressive by both sides.

And in 4 years' time we will have Claesson, Wikstrand, Harpur, Englund. Harpur is 6'5". Englund is 6'4" and could still grow. Englund sounds like a great pick, too:

“For us, we feel like we left this draft with a first round pick,” said Dorion. “I’ve been scouting for 20 years, I don’t think we could bring in a higher character person into our organization.”

Dorion believes Englund could and should eventually be among the Senators top four defencemen in a few years because he has quiet, natural leadership abilities and matches up well against top opposition players.

“He’s just a guy who plays a North American style of game and we’re excited to bring a guy like that who brings those attributes to the ice.”

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ev wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:I've said that for a while.  Boro is very good.  I tip my hat that Cowen turned it around, he must have worked his Donkey off, but if a deal comes up for BFR 2.0 and they insist on Cowen, I'd certainly think about it - and mostly because Boro has firmly planted himself here.  

What the Diddle? What are you watching lol?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:As tim murray wil soon find out with myers, you don't trade a big dman who can move if you have one. And cowen does play as big as his size for sure.

No, he absolutely does not. He gets hit way more than he hits himself. He does not have a mean streak like Borowiecki has. Borowiecki has more hits in 10 fewer games, playing 2 minutes less per game. He's also not far behind in blocked shots (and would be way above if he played same number of games).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispensed wrote:
Ev wrote:

What the Diddle?  What are you watching lol?

I'm not telling you my opinion of them, even though I like borowieckimuch better. I'm telling you it's not like either player has a firm hold of a lineup spot. They are 6-7 dmen right now who can be scratched any time

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:As tim murray wil soon find out with myers, you don't trade a big dman who can move if you have one. And cowen does play as big as his size for sure.

No, he absolutely does not.  He gets hit way more than he hits himself.  He does not have a mean streak like Borowiecki has.  Borowiecki has more hits in 10 fewer games, playing 2 minutes less per game.  He's also not far behind in blocked shots (and would be way above if he played same number of games).  

Cowen still has a lot of hits and plays very physical. Don't know what you're talking about. Both guys are physical dmen. Blocked shots isn't something to write home about either.,

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

And like I already mentioned, Harpur and Englund both have size, and Englund plays more like Boro than Cowen. Just need a few years.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

And like I already mentioned, Harpur and Englund both have size, and Englund plays more like Boro than Cowen.  Just need a few years.

That's like saying you'd rather have e mystery box than the boat

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

No, he absolutely does not.  He gets hit way more than he hits himself.  He does not have a mean streak like Borowiecki has.  Borowiecki has more hits in 10 fewer games, playing 2 minutes less per game.  He's also not far behind in blocked shots (and would be way above if he played same number of games).  

Cowen still has a lot of hits and plays very physical. Don't know what you're talking about. Both guys are physical dmen. Blocked shots isn't something to write home about either.,

Cowen was supposed to be Chara-light and he isn't. Not even close. If he had Borowieci's attitude and edge I think he'd be Chara-medium.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

Cowen was supposed to be Chara-light and he isn't.  Not even close.  If he had Borowieci's attitude and edge I think he'd be Chara-medium.

That's just idiot speak for casual fans. They see a big man and say Chara. Just because fans are stupid doesn't mean we should diminish the play of the player in question.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

And like I already mentioned, Harpur and Englund both have size, and Englund plays more like Boro than Cowen.  Just need a few years.

No, not at all. I said earlier that I would not want to trade away Cowen. But he is far from irreplaceable and if there was a good deal to be made I wouldn't hesitate to move him. In the immediate term Borowiecki would replace him nicely, and in 3-4 years we could be looking at an upgrade in Englund or Harpur.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

Cowen was supposed to be Chara-light and he isn't.  Not even close.  If he had Borowiecki's attitude and edge I think he'd be Chara-medium.

That's just idiot speak for casual fans. They see a big man and say Chara. Just because fans are stupid doesn't mean we should diminish the play of the player in question.

He was big and a good skater and we were regretting losing Chara. Like it or not comparisons are always going to be made. They wanted a big, punishing defenseman like they had in Chara. They didn't get that, at least not yet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Boro not playing tonight. #Swirmolinos

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Boro not playing tonight.  #Swirmolinos

SWiermolios?

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

No, not at all.  I said earlier that I would not want to trade away Cowen.  But he is far from irreplaceable and if there was a good deal to be made I wouldn't hesitate to move him.  In the immediate term Borowiecki would replace him nicely, and in 3-4 years we could be looking at an upgrade in Englund or Harpur.

That's putting the cart before the horse and a shiny new toy syndrome.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:
Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

No, not at all.  I said earlier that I would not want to trade away Cowen.  But he is far from irreplaceable and if there was a good deal to be made I wouldn't hesitate to move him.  In the immediate term Borowiecki would replace him nicely, and in 3-4 years we could be looking at an upgrade in Englund or Harpur.

That's putting the cart before the horse and a shiny new toy syndrome.

In Ottawa? Unpossible.

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS! - Page 18 852933671

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Boro not playing tonight.  #Swirmolinos

SWiermolios?

Rieght you are, as usiel.

Vandelay

Vandelay
Sophomore
Sophomore

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:

Ha...perfect reference. Couldn't agree more. Sometimes I feel like this site is like watching people freak out over their plummeting stocks thinking sell sell sell! Cowen has had a tough year but with the coaching change and hard work, he's slowly improving. You look at where he is now compared to the beginning of the year, it's pretty impressive. No easy solution, just hard work. No one is harder to play against in our zone than Cowen. Boro is tough but doesn't match up as well against top line players. It just wouldn't make sense to trade Cowen now while his value is still low. Teams asking for him will do so under the assumption that he's viewed by us as a disappointment (which isn't entirely wrong).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 18 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 42 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum