GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+11
Oglethorpe
LeCaptain
NEELY
Ev
DefenceWinsChampionships
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
Flo The Action
PTFlea
wprager
tim1_2
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Go down  Message [Page 67 of 67]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

dennycrane wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:He hasn't declined, he just hasn't been able to completely develop because he's stuck behind a top 10 goalie in the league.  That's life, but as people have mentioned on here, this year is the last year where we have two number one goalies, it just doesn't work.

This summer - or potentially, this trade deadline - Anderson is traded and we take our shot with the guy who has won this organization its only championship.  Boo hoo for us, right?

Let's just hope we can get amazing value for Anderson though.

With Minny off the list, SJ starts to make sense. They are in a playoff spot but have reportedly been unhappy with Niemi for a while. I think Niemi is a UFA after this year, so taking him back for the rest of the year is no big deal.

Again, Edmonton will give up a ton to get a goalie they believe can be part of their future. Lehner is absolutely the type of player Murray was referring to when talking about a Ryan type deal.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispensed wrote:
NEELY wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
NEELY wrote:And if Murray is serious about a Ryan type deal, Lehner is a pretty obvious trade piece and I dislike saying that.

Let's not forget that the only thing we really gave up for Ryan was a 1st rd pick. Silfverberg is a top-nine forward who we sold 'high'. He's done virtually nothing since joining Anaheim. Noesen, right now and at the time of the trade, was nothing more than a prospect with injury problems. We got killed on the 1st since it was assumed our 1st rd pick would be a lot later (thinking we would make the playoffs with the Spezza-Ryan combo). I imagine any 'Ryan' type deal is either a 1st and a prospect, or a 2nd, prospect, and roster player. We also have to consider that Euge is about to buy out Greening and probably doesn't want to add salary without some going back the other way.

We have to assume ROR, Eberle, Boedker are on the Sens radar. Not really sure who else is willing to part with a top-six forward at this time a year.

Ottawa 1st (top five pick), Wiercioch, and Puempel probably gets the Eberle/ROR deal done. Not sure if I would do it.

I'll just say this... is Lehner worth Pitts 1st round pick this year?  I think that is a pretty solid trade off for both sides and a nice piece that Ottawa can deal at some point.  I think that's about as even value as you will find for Lehner.

Uh...a 25th OV pick for Lehner?  No thanks.  Also...didn't they trade that pick for Perron.  No, no , no.  Don't sell low on Lehner or we'll regret it as an org for the next decade.

Lehner is worthless as a backup and that's what he will be in Ottawa for a very long time. The organization has made their decision with Anderson and I am fine with that, I am glad they made one. Moving Lehner for some value now and being able to add a piece like ROR is exactly what they should be doing. That 25th overall pick would be part of an ROR deal as it was part of the Bobby Ryan deal. You give up that 1st, a guy like Prince, and a prospect like Puempel and that's exactly what you gave up for Ryan.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:He hasn't declined, he just hasn't been able to completely develop because he's stuck behind a top 10 goalie in the league.  That's life, but as people have mentioned on here, this year is the last year where we have two number one goalies, it just doesn't work.

This summer - or potentially, this trade deadline - Anderson is traded and we take our shot with the guy who has won this organization its only championship.  Boo hoo for us, right?

With Minny off the list, SJ starts to make sense. They are in a playoff spot but have reportedly been unhappy with Niemi for a while. I think Niemi is a UFA after this year, so taking him back for the rest of the year is no big deal.

Makes a lot of sense actually.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:

Lehner has declined, not accepting that is just ignoring the obvious.  Even if you want to take the glass 1/2 full approach here the best thing you can say about him as a player at this point is he has stalled like you said.

I am the biggest Lehner fan in the world and believe the guy can be capable of being a star #1 but I won't ignore the current situation.  Everyone in the organization believes in Anderson and has a lot of reservations about Lehner.  The only thing so far that has stayed the same since MacLean was fired is the goalie situation and in fact I think Lehner has had even less time in the net with Cameron.  

Anderson is not going to be traded and I believe Lehner will be.

I'll defer to their judgement on this, but I really, strongly believe that you keep Lehner at all costs and allow him to run with the job once and for all. He's won before and he'll be a stud in this league when they allow him to be a number one. He has everything you want in a goalie at age 23, you don't let him go. What you do is sell high on Anderson - as much as it pains me because I really like him too.

-------

http://www.gmhockey.com/viewtopic.forum?t=6164

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 67 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 35 ... 65, 66, 67

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum