GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who is the better team?

+5
SensGirl11
smash88
rooneypoo
BigRig
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Who is the best team in the NHL?

Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap272%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 72% [ 13 ]
Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap217%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 3 ]
Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 6% [ 1 ]
Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_lcap25%Who is the better team? - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:34 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like the Sharks this year. I can't argue that Detroit is the best team, but with Boyle and Blake on the backend...it makes them very, very different - and a heck of a lot more confident.

I think Detroit loses a 7 game series against the Sharks - if they don't choke-a-doodle-doo that is.

17Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:51 pm

504Heater wrote:I like the Sharks this year. I can't argue that Detroit is the best team, but with Boyle and Blake on the backend...it makes them very, very different - and a heck of a lot more confident.

I think Detroit loses a 7 game series against the Sharks - if they don't choke-a-doodle-doo that is.
i voted SJ

18Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Me too Tukker. I'm (slightly) convinced that they can go all the way this year.

19Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:58 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

BigRig77 wrote:
I think Murray...or sorry , Melnyk didn't want to tie up that much money in a Dman when our Goaltending is still so suspect. I, for one, agree with that. No point in having Boyle or anyone if shots are going in from every angle...

you look at Goalies around the league that could come available...

Look at how Lehtonen would only sign for 1 year....he wants out of Atlanta
Look at Bulin (Trade deadline only so the $$ works)
Look at Backstrom in Minny

all free agents next year...the year AFTER is of course better, but wouldn't it be worth it to finally go into the playoffs with a stud back there?

I see your point, I suppose, but only to a point. Smile

OTT only has about $44 mil locked up in players next year, and the only guys who aren't signed are Neil, Kuba, and McAmmond. Slot Boyle's $6.7 mil in there, and add another $2.5 mil (?) for Alfie's raise, and you're at something like $53 mil. Hypothetically, as long as the cap goes up a modest $4-5 mil (but who knows in this uncertain market how that will pan out), we still would have had room for a quality goalie.

There are some 'ifs' there, I grant, but I can't imagine that we'll get Bouwmeester (if he becomes available and wants to sign here) for a better deal than the one Boyle's on right now, although I grant Bouw's got the age advantage here. I guess it's a question of where we spend the money... can $8-10 mil in space bring in a quality D and a quality goalie? I dunno. Looking around the league at recent signings, $4 might get you a D of about Mark Streit quality, and a goalie of about Leclaire quality...

20Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:20 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I don't see how Dallas' D is B+ but SJ's is A.

Sergei Zubov is IMO the third best defenceman in the league. Niskanen is a great young d-men, Boucher is like a better Kuba IMO, Robidas might be the NHL's best kept secret, and they have a plethora of other top notch young'uns on the blue-line.

SJ has an over-the-hill Blake (Boucher is better), a good offensively but meh defensively d-man in Boyle (Zubov is much better), an inconsistent young puck-mover in Erhoff (Niskanen is better) and a good young shut-down guy in Vlasic (I think Robidas is better).

The depth on the blue-line isn't even remotely comparable IMO.

21Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Fair enough. I keep thinking that the makeup of the Dallas D is based way too heavily on aging and oft-injured players - thus, they're at a disadvantage to SJ's top 6. But then again, Boyle was out the entire year last year.

Plus, I did that on kinda a whim. I was gonna make it just SJ vs Detroit and I got overly ambitious. Smile

22Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:08 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

On principle, I just don't want it to be SJ.
They have to suck this year - we have their 1st.

23Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice analysis of the teams Heater but it's gotta be hands down Detroit right now. Even without Hossa. Add him and it's a no brainer. Those other teams need to prove to me there better. I'm a little surprised Anaheim didn't even hit your radar screen though. The do still have Pronger, Neidermeyer, Perry, Getzlaf and Selanne right? I think despite their poor start they'll be a solid team OR I could be way off and they pull a Carolina and have a couple seasons of futility after a Cup win. BTW I'd take that any day for the Sens if we won a Cup.

- Unknown Author

24Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:41 am

mattshock

mattshock
Veteran
Veteran

Detroit is the obvious call for so many reasons. They have the intagibles to be the best, and a talent riddled roster to back it up.

PS, I second the hopes for SJs tanking.

25Who is the better team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is the better team? Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n' Clutch wrote:Nice analysis of the teams Heater but it's gotta be hands down Detroit right now. Even without Hossa. Add him and it's a no brainer. Those other teams need to prove to me there better. I'm a little surprised Anaheim didn't even hit your radar screen though. The do still have Pronger, Neidermeyer, Perry, Getzlaf and Selanne right? I think despite their poor start they'll be a solid team OR I could be way off and they pull a Carolina and have a couple seasons of futility after a Cup win. BTW I'd take that any day for the Sens if we won a Cup.

I took them off because I ran out of room for the poll. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum