GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

+11
asq2
Hoags
Flo The Action
Ev
NEELY
spader
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
wprager
tim1_2
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 35]

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

No I agree it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome but it would have been nice to see him try to take it a little more to the Canadians. He played a very cautious game which meant he wasn't on the ice for any GA but he was looked upon to be one of Sweden's offensive galvanizers. Anyway Canada's team game was pretty much insurmountable.

I do think it's a real weakness in his game that he gives forwards enough space to players to enter the zone and set up a cycle so frequently. He could learn a lot from Nicklas Kronwall about positioning.

It's obvious to everyone that Karlsson is an insane talent, but hopefully he takes this as motivation and wake-up call that he can be more.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm hoping this motivates him to take it to the next level down the stretch this season. Also hoping Bobby Ryan gets fired up... and intense... heh heh.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I don't have an issue with the way Karlsson gives guys space because he's quick enough to take it away before the forwards even know it. Also, he's not going to really be able to win the physical battles that Kronwall can win either simply because of his size.

Karlsson is best described as a sneeky D man without the puck, yah he makes his mistakes and sometimes gets caught out of position but he can also cause a turn over and before the other team knows they don't have the puck anymore Karlsson is at center ice.

All in all I like the way he plays the position based on how he generally plays the game. I don't expect a guy like Cowen to turn and go and I don't expect Karlsson to take away time and space and get physical. Lots of different ways to play that position and it drives me nuts how some people have a cookie cutter idea of how a D man should play.

Defense is a position that 2 players on a team play at any given time while on the ice, it isn't a description of what they should be doing.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:meh.

next time cheer for the country that gave you the chance to be posting on this forum
typical "love it or leave it" mentality i'd expect from an american. grow up.

i don't have to be patriotic, nationalistic. I choose to follow the players i like and don't feel obligated or have any responsibility towards following everything county related.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

next time cheer for the country that gave you the chance to be posting on this forum

i don't have to be patriotic, nationalistic. I choose to follow the players i like and don't feel obligated or have any responsibility towards following everything county related.

Well you can choose that if you want. Grow up? I don't see how me thinking it is wrong for somebody to cheer against their country just because their favourite player is on the other team is childish. You should maybe want Karlsson to play well but not to win the damn thing. That gold is ours.

Canada is hockey, not Sweden.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

No question about it. You cheer for your country. No need to even discuss it. Now, if you had recently moved, or lived most of your life in another place, or even if you lived your formative years there -- then I could see a conflict. But not for a player. Not even close.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you guys choose to cheer for your country and don't see it it as important. i respect that athletes devote their whole life to a sport and it's a hell lot to do but i really dislike the "our country is better then yours" aspect to nationalism and sports and I won't participate in it. sports are not symbolic with me with national pride. end of story.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Well you can choose that if you want. Grow up? I don't see how me thinking it is wrong for somebody to cheer against their country just because their favourite player is on the other team is childish. You should maybe want Karlsson to play well but not to win the damn thing. That gold is ours.

yes dude, grow up! saying people should be deported for deciding to not act nationalistic, telling me i should cheer for the county that allows me to post on a forum. you need to grow up and realize that we're all entitled to different view points and it isn't our god given duty to have to scream patriotism and nationalism every time an event takes place or else we're no place being here. your failure to be able to respect different view points and proclaim your view point as the only acceptable one makes you sound like my 5 year old niece when she's want her way. show some maturity.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

yes dude, grow up! saying people should be deported for deciding to not act nationalistic, telling me i should cheer for the county that allows me to post on a forum. you need to grow up and realize that we're all entitled to different view points and it isn't our god given duty to have to scream patriotism and nationalism every time an event takes place or else we're no place being here. your failure to be able to respect different view points and proclaim your view point as the only acceptable one makes you sound like my 5 year old niece when she's want her way. show some maturity.

Clearly deported was a joke. But show some respect to the country. You are not Swedish.

It is not immature for me to be patriotic, it is immature to do the opposite, acting like a hipster non conformist.

Telling me to grow up makes absolutely no god damn sense here.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If national sports aren't important then don't bother watching the Olympics. Why cheer for karlsson or Sweden if this is the case. Nobody, including me, is forcing you to watch the sports.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

Clearly deported was a joke. But show some respect to the country. You are not Swedish.

It is not immature for me to be patriotic, it is immature to do the opposite, acting like a hipster non conformist.

hahaha. hipster at 37. my ethics haven't changed much since i was in my late teens.
you can be patriotic, just you're trying to ram it down my throat for not being saying it's wrong. i'm saying do yourself a favor and keep your patriotic outbursts on the positive side as opposed to feeling threatened by the idea that someone might not share them.

as for national sports, I like watching and following hockey, in the case of tournaments I'll follow which ever team has the most of my favorite players and cheer for them. I have no patriotic alignment to the county but I can pick whichever side I want to and voice it if I care to. last time I checked that wasn't a clear and punishable offense by law on acts of treason. (then again I could see Harper going in some weird directions if left to his own devices, let's not get into what he's trying to do with health care)
lastly how am i showing disrespect for canada? i just choose to cheer another team. there is no disrespect there, unless you are easily offended which i think you are which i think this is the part of the whole argument where i'm telling you to take a chill pill and grow up.
should I have said go "team" sweden as opposed to go Sweden?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I was kinda hoping sweden would score a goal just to make things interesting.  All things considered, the olympic hockey was sooooo boring when compared to the 2010 games.  If there's any reason I had to root against canada it would be only to have more competition in the world.  Canada had something to prove in 2010.  The american redemption story was more interesting as well.  Now we gotta wait yet another 4 years to see if anyone else can dethrone canada.  Full disclosure, if it was finland vs canada....I might have cheered just a tad bit more for finland but I'd still be happy with canada winning.

I actually don't mind cheering for the U.S. either.  I'd rather see the game grow there as well and ppl in the states get excited about hockey.  However, phil kessel + jvr - bobby ryan = death to america

Not saying I agree with the banter above. I think both of you are right. For example, if Canada had given the bobby ryan treatment to let's say Kyle turris....I think I would cheer for someone else.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

also, did anyone see the bear cry at the closing ceremonies?

Crying

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:I was kinda hoping sweden would score a goal just to make things interesting.  All things considered, the olympic hockey was sooooo boring when compared to the 2010 games.  If there's any reason I had to root against canada it would be only to have more competition in the world.  Canada had something to prove in 2010.  The american redemption story was more interesting as well.  Now we gotta wait yet another 4 years to see if anyone else can dethrone canada.  Full disclosure, if it was finland vs canada....I might have cheered just a tad bit more for finland but I'd still be happy with canada winning.

I actually don't mind cheering for the U.S. either.  I'd rather see the game grow there as well and ppl in the states get excited about hockey.  However, phil kessel + jvr - bobby ryan = death to america

Not saying I agree with the banter above.  I think both of you are right.  For example, if Canada had given the bobby ryan treatment to let's say Kyle turris....I think I would cheer for someone else.

for me the biggest storyline of the whole tournament was Latvia. their ability to stay competitive was a true testament of adaptation by the players to a style of game and completely buying into the coaching. full props to them and that was a real feel good story. I bet Nolan gets extended this summer in Buffalo.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

hahaha. hipster at 37. my ethics haven't changed much since i was in my late teens.
you can be patriotic, just you're trying to ram it down my throat for not being saying it's wrong. i'm saying do yourself a favor and keep your patriotic outbursts on the positive side as opposed to feeling threatened by the idea that someone might not share them.

as for national sports, I like watching and following hockey, in the case of tournaments I'll follow which ever team has the most of my favorite players and cheer for them. I have no patriotic alignment to the county but I can pick whichever side I want to and voice it if I care to. last time I checked that wasn't a clear and punishable offense by law on acts of treason. (then again I could see Harper going in some weird directions if left to his own devices, let's not get into what he's trying to do with health care)
lastly how am i showing disrespect for canada? i just choose to cheer another team. there is no disrespect there, unless you are easily offended which i think you are which i think this is the part of the whole argument where i'm telling you to take a chill pill and grow up.

I think it's wrong to not have patriotic alignment to the country, and by your post I can tell you hate the man and hate he government and all that nonsense so I won't bother getting into an augment here. I respect your choices.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:
Ev wrote:

I think it's wrong to not have patriotic alignment to the country, and by your post I can tell you hate the man and hate he government and all that nonsense so I won't bother getting into an augment here. I respect your choices.
I actually don't hate the man (well yes, if the man is Harper then yes, i hate the man) I'm actually majoring in International Business with strong accents on the political science theater aspect of global economy and Minoring in sustainability in order to help and work and collaborate with "the Man" in order to bring about positive changes internally within our existing society. so no, i don't hate government, maybe this government, but not government as I hope to work closely with them in the near future. This isn't marginal rhetoric from the fringe but maybe more socially progressive leanings and ideas.
none the less i appreciate you saying you respect my choices.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 35]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum