GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+17
Hobiesens
tim1_2
DefenceWinsChampionships
rooneypoo
ddt
sandysensfan
wprager
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
NEELY
Hoags
PTFlea
shabbs
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 50 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I'd be willing to bet good money that while Lee and Dorion will get promoted, no one will be promoted behind them.

#budget

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Ev wrote:How so? He said ownership in general, not Buffalo's. This really is nothing interesting lol
That was specific to Buffalo's ownership. This is why he went there. You don't see it as a direct comment to the inability to do so in Ottawa? It was a very specific comment. I don't know how you can't see it as that to be honest.

He did not go there because there owner is good.

Everyone's owner is good. This is the NHL.

Your so Cussing delusional that it's not worth talking with you.

and I'd say you, and others, who think he took a shot at Melnyk, or was even thinking about Melnyk, is delusional

Did Jim Nill leave Detroit because of his owner?

People trying to stir up crap when it's not there.

Melnyk has spent when the time was right. Wake up.
Heh. I'll have to look back when Jim was hired by Dallas to see what sort of quotes he put out there. I don't recall Jim saying anything like Tim did.

Melnyk and his spending habits have been in the news a lot lately, for whatever reason, so when a highly regarded front office exec leaves and cites spending as a reason for wanting to go to a new club, it certainly strikes me as a shot.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
Michallica wrote:Can't say melnyk is the best owner to work for.  All owners are 'good' in their own right, but some are better than others and I'm sure Tmurr saw Pegula as a better owner when it comes to giving freedom to make moves and etc.  

Where I do agree with Ev is that it isn't necessarily a 'shot'.  Like it's not something new and I hardly doubt he's in any position to claim that was the reason for his departure from the sens.  He got a freakin' promotion, new job title, and is set up beautifully to draft prospects, trade away assets.  The moronic thing is ppl still try to turn this departure into a melnyk bash fest.

I don't think anyone said that Tim Murray left BECAUSE of Melnyk.  

Doesn't change the fact that Melnyk is the single biggest threat to the Ottawa Senators.

yeah that's fair, melnyk is the most worrisome piece of upper management for me

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Ev wrote:How so? He said ownership in general, not Buffalo's. This really is nothing interesting lol
That was specific to Buffalo's ownership. This is why he went there. You don't see it as a direct comment to the inability to do so in Ottawa? It was a very specific comment. I don't know how you can't see it as that to be honest.

I'm gonna side with Big Ev on this one. Seems to me that all Timbo was saying was "Eugene Melnyk was meddlesome, yet cheap and I was assured this won't be the case in Buffalo."

Not sure how this was a shot at The Gene.

That's what I took it as also. A meddling Owner who forced Cameron on the team.. who they are now stuck with even though he is not doing an adequate job.. And an Owner who no longer has the $$ to properly finance an NHL team.

I really wish the league could force him out.

He says the Sens are losing about 10M a season. If that is the case, then the Sens get revenue sharing.. which I don't believe they are. IMO -- I expect he is taking profits from the Sens (as according to Forbes the Sens have profit) and putting it down on his numerous loans on his bad investments..

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Who cares if Bufalo management allows to spend more, do you see them on top of the standings? Ehrhoff and Leino sure helped a lot...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LeKing wrote:Who cares if Bufalo management allows to spend more, do you see them on top of the standings? Ehrhoff and Leino sure helped a lot...

You'll care when Karlsson, Ryan and Lehner end up there. Trust me.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

LeKing wrote:Who cares if Bufalo management allows to spend more, do you see them on top of the standings? Ehrhoff and Leino sure helped a lot...
Wonder why they wanted a new GM then... hmmm.... oh yeah, the old one sucked Donkey.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sens bumped down a spot in the wild card standings. Hurricanes leaped over them and sit in 8th.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Lots of money + bad GM = bad (Leafs LOL)
No money + bad GM = bad
lots of money + good gm = great
no money + good GM = Ottawa

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You need a good GM and an owner willing to spend. Buffalo HAD only one of those, now they have both.

Ottawa will never win the Cup spending $15M below the cap. You gotta spend, and you gotta spend wisely.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:

Lots of money + bad GM = bad (Leafs LOL)
No money + bad GM = bad
lots of money + good gm = great
no money + good GM = Ottawa
This.

Will be interesting to see if Lots of Money + Tim Murray as GM = great.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Depending on what Carolina, Detroit, NYR, and Toronto do tonight and tomorrow, a win tomorrow night could move Ottawa into a wildcard playoff spot.

Carolina's one of the hottest teams in the league right now (won 5 straight), but they close out the season with a fairly tough March and April, so I'm not too concerned about them.

A playoff spot is ours for the taking. Just gotta keep getting points, and winning when we should.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:

You need a good GM and an owner willing to spend.  Buffalo HAD only one of those, now they have both.

Ottawa will never win the Cup spending $15M below the cap.  You gotta spend, and you gotta spend wisely.  

Tim is a rookie. We don't know if he is good yet.

We know he is good at player evaluation, but we don't know how he will fare as the day to day GM.

I'm glad Tim found work elsewhere because we did not need a GM who is known for drafting and developing. We need a GM who is known to put the team over the top and win.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

You need a good GM and an owner willing to spend.  Buffalo HAD only one of those, now they have both.

Ottawa will never win the Cup spending $15M below the cap.  You gotta spend, and you gotta spend wisely.  

Tim is a rookie. We don't know if he is good yet.

We know he is good at player evaluation, but we don't know how he will fare as the day to day GM.

I'm glad Tim found work elsewhere because we did not need a GM who is known for drafting and developing. We need a GM who is known to put the team over the top and win.

We need an owner who is willing to spend money to put the team over the top and win.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Owner isn't willing to spend.

Goes out and trades for Bobby Ryan.

Makes sense.

Give it a Cussing rest dude. Everyone whines when the guy doesn't spend money for a year or two when he spent to the cap every single year

Give it a Cussing rest

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. To me this wasn't the year to go out and spend a ton so the Sens being at the bottom of the league in terms of where they are with the cap isn't a huge deal... again no reason to spend ie David Clarkson. Now, going forward if they don't resign Bobby Ryan or Clarke MacArthur because of cash issues then yah, sound some alarm bells.

I can't stand Melnyk and I 100% believe that he would use the Sens as leverage against the city and would use the Sens to finance his other garbage investments BUT right now there is nothing to say that's the case in terms of the spending. IMO thus far (aside from Alfie where it was more than just money) money has been spent wisely and well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:Depending on what Carolina, Detroit, NYR, and Toronto do tonight and tomorrow, a win tomorrow night could move Ottawa into a wildcard playoff spot.  

Carolina's one of the hottest teams in the league right now (won 5 straight), but they close out the season with a fairly tough March and April, so I'm not too concerned about them.  

A playoff spot is ours for the taking.  Just gotta keep getting points, and winning when we should.
Yeah, lots of interesting scenarios playing out this week. It's tight in hte Wild Card.

Regulation losses by the Rangers, Leafs and Hurricanes tonight would setup a nice opportunity for the Sens to jump up tomorrow night with a win.

GO SENS GO!!!

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Time will tell, REDACTED.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 50 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 26 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum