GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

+19
Hobiesens
spader
Hoags
Flo The Action
DirtyDave
LeCaptain
dennycrane
PTFlea
rooneypoo
SensHulk
Ev
Cap'n Clutch
Number Twenty Nine
Vandelay
shabbs
NEELY
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
wprager
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 32 ... 44  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 44]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Meant pragers daughter lol

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Isn't it Prager's son going to school?

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh. I read where he said she's leaving home. Nevermind then.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Oh. I read where he said she's leaving home. Nevermind then.

It's all McCartney's fault, he never wrote lyrics for "He's Leaving Home". But the sentiment fits.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hot celeb nudes leaked to Imgur. Get 'em while you can...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

For the record he's going to Ottawa U. But he's working today and tomorrow so he not actually moving in until Tuesday. We were there for a second time today to drop off more stuff. Pretty much for for now. But will probably do another run next week.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Hot celeb nudes leaked to Imgur. Get 'em while you can...

Celebs have surprisingly bad cameras.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

People are surprisingly stupid...

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Hot celeb nudes leaked to Imgur. Get 'em while you can...

Celebs have surprisingly bad cameras.

My internet was out for a bit this morning. I blame Jennifer Lawrence.

Cool pics tho.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Bought one of those Hamilton Beach breakfast sandwich makers. Weird. There's no spacer between the bun and egg. You put the egg into the "ring" and then place the bun on top. I suppose you do the same on the bottom part with the cheese/meat, but it's just weird. Tasted pretty good, though. Didn't use any margarine (like I would normally) and it tasted great (not dry at all).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Use butter, not margarine

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Use butter, not margarine

You sound like my parents. They're from the old country. Or one of them, anyway. We don't use much, and it's more convenient (easier to spread) and cheaper. And we usually get the better stuff anyway. The point is, though, that all I used is a bit of oil to rub on the rings and that's it. Got some sliced meat cut thick (kind of limited in your selection if you want just a round piece like the ham they use at McDs) and English muffins (white and whole wheat) and I'm ready for breakfast.

I'm primarily trying this out for my son at university. A bit worried about him. He refused to go for the meal plan (which, given how it is at Ottawa U is probably a good thing) so he's on his own for cooking. He balked at getting a toaster oven (they have ones that fit a 12" pizza like the Oeteker ones he likes -- so doubles for supper prep, too). We settled him in with enough to last him a while (cereals, milk in the fridge, some ideas for sandwiches and a couple casseroles) but he still had to get bread and some other stuff, so I told him to make sure he took the free shuttle to Loblaws they have every Tuesday (10% student discount night). I texted him to ask what he got at Loblaws and he replied that he'll go next week; they had sandwiches (some orientation meeting, I guess) and he "grabbed enough to last for days".

I guess it's a good thing the first week is a short one (I dropped him off Tuesday morning because he still worked Sunday/Monday) and with those sandwiches and the cereals he's set for breakfast/lunch for a couple days. He might be a little hungry by Friday, though.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Why is your kid living at UofO if he lives in Ottawa, by the way? Kinda expensive....

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:Why is your kid living at UofO if he lives in Ottawa, by the way? Kinda expensive....

He needs it. *We* need it.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oh yeah good point, that's good for you Laugh1

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Prags, how are your son's cooking skills? They sound lacking. Meal plan might've been the way to go, but hopefully he naturally likes healthy foods?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:Prags, how are your son's cooking skills?  They sound lacking.  Meal plan might've been the way to go, but hopefully he naturally likes healthy foods?

He actually took a cooking class once. But, yeah, his culinary skills are not quite there.

The meal plan at Ottawa U is a waste of money. All it is is you top-up your student card with X dollars, and there is a fixed portion that is used for non-food purchases (books, etc), while the rest is to buy meals. The advantage is that with a meal plan your food purchases are tax-exempt and they run some promotions (like pop for a buck, for example, or automatic draws for prizes). But then you end up buying meals at Starbucks, Subways and other similar eateries; they have a cafeteria but it's notoriously expensive. So it's not like a meal plan you pay a fixed cost and then you can have a number of breakfast/lunch/dinner meals. No, you still have to budget your money and, essentially, you are always "eating out". Assuming he only uses it 5 days a week (he is going to come home on weekends to work) that's roughly 155 days for the two semesters, and the *cheapest* meal plan comes out to $14.83 per day on food. If you don't use all of it there are deadlines for getting a refund and it will cost you a $25 admin fee to get the refund. But don't worry, $14.83/day eating at restaurants -- you won't be needing a refund (especially for out of town students who are there 7 days a week -- that's $10.60 per day).

I've outlined several breakfast, lunch and supper ideas, averaged out the costs, threw in a pizza ordered out once a week ($10 each in a group) and a bit more for Chinese one a month, and it came out to about $9/day averaged out. So we are budgeting $10/week on food (likely even less since he's probably not going to be leaving home empty handed on weekends).

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Is this the kid that is a pretty light-eater?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 44]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 32 ... 44  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum