GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+11
Flo The Action
LeCaptain
NEELY
tim1_2
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Hoags
sandysensfan
wprager
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 14]

196NHL CBA Talk - Page 14 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:There are lots of things that are taken off the top line when calculating HRR. Usually as a percentage of some sort. That's why the owners were "crying" because some costs had risen dramatically (cost of fuel drives travel expenses, for example).

Ok. Didn't know they did it that way.

197NHL CBA Talk - Page 14 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:Now give me some trades ! (and signings)

Starts at midnight (nothing will happen though like the deadline)
Will Luongo be a Leaf by morning?

:crossarms: Sarcasm Ahhhhh!

Trending: #Nonnis

198NHL CBA Talk - Page 14 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:28 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:Now give me some trades ! (and signings)

Starts at midnight (nothing will happen though like the deadline)
Will Luongo be a Leaf by morning?

:crossarms: Sarcasm Ahhhhh!

Trending: #Nonnis
Heh heh.

Mmmmmm biscotti.

199NHL CBA Talk - Page 14 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:04 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:There are lots of things that are taken off the top line when calculating HRR. Usually as a percentage of some sort. That's why the owners were "crying" because some costs had risen dramatically (cost of fuel drives travel expenses, for example).

Ok. Didn't know they did it that way.

Here's an article that goes into some detail:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/09/making-sense-of-hockey-related-revenue.html

For those of you who didn't pay attention in math class (raising my hand, too), HRR is a net number, ie. revenue minus costs. And in the now-expired CBA, teams were able to deduct certain amounts from HRR before the players were given their share.

If you go to Article 50 in the 2005 CBA, you can find all of these direct costs. While sources were reluctant to provide exact numbers, it appears the deducted amounts (yes, the jet fuel and massages) were getting closer and closer to the maximums -- probably hitting them -- during recent seasons. Here are some other examples:

CONCESSIONS

Concessions is a major revenue generator for teams and, by extension, for players. Clubs are allowed to deduct 54 per cent towards their costs. Some might not deduct that much; others may go over. But the league-wide average cannot exceed 54.

I'm no concessions expert like Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who, I assume, negotiated that figure. That may be a very fair total when you factor in worker salaries and buying the necessary machinery. But if you're a player, you're seeing a big bite taken out of your financial burger.

Then there's club/premium seating and luxury suites, which are enormous issues for the teams. These are obviously large numbers in the revenue game and the cost caps are very low (3.75 per cent for club/premium) or non-existent (zero for suites). The NHL and its members despise these figures. It's a big win for the players. But teams have found a way to get some of that back.

If you've bought some kind of package for these seats, you might get free parking or a bit of free food and drink. Well, the direct cost allowances for food (54 per cent, as mentioned above) and parking (30 per cent) are much higher. So teams began putting some of the costs of these seats towards those other two figures, giving themselves a break.

It's not just the Ilya Kovalchuk contract capologists who can be creative for NHL clubs. If you're an owner, you're giving the person who came up with this a promotion. If you're a player, you think it's cheating.

200NHL CBA Talk - Page 14 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As per Dreger... escrow this year has been set at 10%.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/294503400391970816

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum