GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Olympics 2012

+9
Hoags
NEELY
spader
Amnesia021
Ev
SeawaySensFan
wprager
shabbs
sens4win
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

76Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:05 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:So three more medals today, right? A gold (trampoline), bronze (bike pursuit) and now a silver (1500m swim). Brings our total to 10. The US is 10x bigger and have 49.

Outside of the LA Olympics (when the USSR boycotted so the medal counts were out of whack) the best showing for total medals was 22 in Atlanta, and the best for gold was 7 in Barcelona.

So, how many events are left? What are our chances at bettering our previous totals.

Time to revisit this post. Canada's count stands at 16. Not sure how many medal hopes are left but somehow I doubt we will get to 22. However our next best outing was 18, and there's probably still hope for that. What is really surprising, though, is the frightfully low count of gold medals. *ONE*, and it was in trampoline! Maybe the soccer team could have gotten gold if the US game went differently (but it didn't); Van Kouverden would have gotten gold in the 500 m race, except there's no longer a 500 m kayak event; Despatie is still in competition, right?

I have to admit, I would feel quite disappointed if we walked away from these games with one gold medal in trampoline.

P.S. Why is there Olympic Sailing competitions?

77Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Is this Jason McCoombs or Ahmed Fareed?

Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 9293_110

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/athletes/athlete/jason-mccoombs/index.html

78Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

From what I could gather (man, TSN's Olympic schedule/results grid is awful to navigate -- bugs in the scripts) Mark de Jonge is through to the Finals in the 200 Kayak or Canoe. He set an Olympic Best time in his quarter final heat and was also 1st in his semi final heat (but just by a hair). He's definitely a medal favorite, and if he left something for the finals could get Canada's second gold.

Cochrane/Fournel qualified for the 200 m men's double kayak. They were 4th in their heat, so probably a long-shot for a medal at this point.

Karine Sergerie is through to the semis in TaeKwonDo.

Riley McCormick and Eric Sehn are in the 10 m platform preliminary round at 2PM today. Sehn is making his Olympics debut, and McCormick placed 16th in Bejing. Not sure if either of them are medal hopefuls -- doesn't look like it.

79Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another bronze for Richard Weinberger in the 10 km water marathon. He wasn't even listed in TSN.ca's "In competition today" list. Hmm, I didn't see the synchronized swimming duo either; they were 1st with three pairs to go and, naturally, finished 4th Facepalm I hate international competitions for subjectively-judged sports. Apparently the Russian pair were not nearly as good.

OK, so 17, and we should get a medal in the 200 m kayak.

80Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:33 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Another bronze for Richard Weinberger in the 10 km water marathon. He wasn't even listed in TSN.ca's "In competition today" list. Hmm, I didn't see the synchronized swimming duo either; they were 1st with three pairs to go and, naturally, finished 4th Facepalm I hate international competitions for subjectively-judged sports. Apparently the Russian pair were not nearly as good.

Which means we will get none. Ever notice that?

81Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Excluding teams with zero gold medals, Canada has the worst gold/total ratio. 1 for 17. The closest is Japan with 5 for 34.

82Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:36 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Another bronze for Richard Weinberger in the 10 km water marathon. He wasn't even listed in TSN.ca's "In competition today" list. Hmm, I didn't see the synchronized swimming duo either; they were 1st with three pairs to go and, naturally, finished 4th Facepalm I hate international competitions for subjectively-judged sports. Apparently the Russian pair were not nearly as good.

No judging/reffing in Kayak.

83Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:41 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Just saying that when a Canadian is favored to win gold they seem to not even medal.

84Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Just saying that when a Canadian is favored to win gold they seem to not even medal.

Hah! He got a bronze. Facepalm

85Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, so we have matched our second best showing in total medals (excluding the boycotted games). But just one gold is unreal.

Apparently one of our remaining divers somehow made it into the finals in the 10m platform. That was not expected.

86Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Other Canadians competing today:

Francois Coulombe-Fortier is in the taekwondo semifinals at 12:15.

Catherine Pendrell is in the mountain bike race but well behind (actually race may be over).

Rachel Seaman is in the 20 km walk (why is it still in the Olympics?)

Cameron Levins is in the 5000 m finals. He set a personal best in the semis but that's still 30 seconds behind the leader.

87Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We rule the bronze!

88Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Hah! He got a bronze. Facepalm

Better than I expected Wink

89Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Coulombe-Fortier will be going at 11:45 according to Duthie. Let's not get excited yet. It'll just be the QF.

90Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:We rule the bronze!

Sadly, no. USA and Russia have 28 each (we have 12). Scaling back, France has 12 bronze, just like we do; they have 9 silver to our 5, so a little better. They also have 10 gold -- so they are 0 better. Must be the most "even" country (10-9-12).

91Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:We rule the bronze!

Sadly, no. USA and Russia have 28 each (we have 12). Scaling back, France has 12 bronze, just like we do; they have 9 silver to our 5, so a little better. They also have 10 gold -- so they are 0 better. Must be the most "even" country (10-9-12).
Facepalm

92Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Facepalm indeed.

93Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 6 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote: Facepalm indeed.
Facepalm Facepalm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum