GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Olympics 2012

+9
Hoags
NEELY
spader
Amnesia021
Ev
SeawaySensFan
wprager
shabbs
sens4win
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

121Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you can step on the line in the straight portion. just not allowed on the curve.

GB got DQ'd in the semis for the same thing.

122Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:15 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Well then... that explains that...

123Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:you can step on the line in the straight portion. just not allowed on the curve.

No, it's not that simple.
Rule 163.3 wrote:
Lane Infringement
3. (a)In all races run in lanes, each athlete shall keep within his allocated lane from start to finish. This shall also apply to any portion of a race run in lanes.(b)In all races (or any part of races) not run in lanes, an athlete running on a bend, on the outer half of the track as per Rule162.10, or on the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump, shall not step or run on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border (the inside of the track, the outer half of the track, or the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump). Except as stated in Rule 163.4, if the Referee is satisfied, on the report of a Judge or Umpire or otherwise, that an athlete has violated this Rule, he shall be disqualified.

4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he (a)is pushed or forced by another person to step or run outside his lane or on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border, or
(b) steps or runs outside his lane in the straight or outside the outer line of his lane on the bend, with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other athlete being jostled or obstructed so as to impede his progress.

Note: Material advantage includes improving his position by any means, including removing himself from a “boxed” position in the race by having stepped or run inside the inside edge of the track.

Read the bolded part carefully. Now look at this picture:

Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Screen%20shot%202012-08-11%20at%205.46.05%20PM

I searched for an image and found this one -- I am assuming with all the arrows pointing that this is where it happened. If that's the case, then he is clearly touching the outside line of his lane, and not the inside.

There are two reasons for the lane restrictions:
1. To avoid obstruction, and
2. To avoid obtaining a meaningful advantage.

Clearly he did not interfere with anyone. Just as clearly, he did not gain a meaningful advantage. The intent of the rule was not broken. And if the picture above is the exact spot where the infraction happened, then the letter of the rule was not broken, either.

Someone compared this to a cop handing out tickets to everyone jaywalking. If there are no cars and someone crosses the road, then he is neither putting himself or others at risk, nor interfering with traffic. The intent of the law is not broken and no ticket needs to be issued.

Since when has law become an Olympic event? In the spirit of competition the judge should have used discretion (which is allowed Canadian relay team had the 3rd fastest time. It's not like T&T were a 100th of a second behind.

124Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:17 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What's with the condoms at the games? 150,000 condoms for 10,500 athletes. I think only 56% were men, which means almost 18 each! And I'm sure the coaching staff doesn't let anyone "indulge" until after the finish competing, so the US basketball team is out until the final day.

125Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:24 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:you can step on the line in the straight portion. just not allowed on the curve.

No, it's not that simple.
Rule 163.3 wrote:
Lane Infringement
3. (a)In all races run in lanes, each athlete shall keep within his allocated lane from start to finish. This shall also apply to any portion of a race run in lanes.(b)In all races (or any part of races) not run in lanes, an athlete running on a bend, on the outer half of the track as per Rule162.10, or on the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump, shall not step or run on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border (the inside of the track, the outer half of the track, or the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump). Except as stated in Rule 163.4, if the Referee is satisfied, on the report of a Judge or Umpire or otherwise, that an athlete has violated this Rule, he shall be disqualified.

4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he (a)is pushed or forced by another person to step or run outside his lane or on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable border, or
(b) steps or runs outside his lane in the straight or outside the outer line of his lane on the bend, with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other athlete being jostled or obstructed so as to impede his progress.

Note: Material advantage includes improving his position by any means, including removing himself from a “boxed” position in the race by having stepped or run inside the inside edge of the track.

Read the bolded part carefully. Now look at this picture:

Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Screen%20shot%202012-08-11%20at%205.46.05%20PM

I searched for an image and found this one -- I am assuming with all the arrows pointing that this is where it happened. If that's the case, then he is clearly touching the outside line of his lane, and not the inside.

There are two reasons for the lane restrictions:
1. To avoid obstruction, and
2. To avoid obtaining a meaningful advantage.

Clearly he did not interfere with anyone. Just as clearly, he did not gain a meaningful advantage. The intent of the rule was not broken. And if the picture above is the exact spot where the infraction happened, then the letter of the rule was not broken, either.

Someone compared this to a cop handing out tickets to everyone jaywalking. If there are no cars and someone crosses the road, then he is neither putting himself or others at risk, nor interfering with traffic. The intent of the law is not broken and no ticket needs to be issued.

Since when has law become an Olympic event? In the spirit of competition the judge should have used discretion (which is allowed Canadian relay team had the 3rd fastest time. It's not like T&T were a 100th of a second behind.

He touched the inside part of his lane, not the outside. And he was on the bend. That's a DQ whether we like it or not. Everyone who did this was DQ'd. Rule 3b is what you want to be bolding.

126Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I'm not too upset about the DQ. I didn't expect Canada to win a medal in the relay, if GB wasn't DQ then we'd have been most likely 4th. The soccer game ref and the boxing decision were far bigger BS, this was the rules, really unfortuneate.

The real shame was the Canadian team running thinking they had the bronze for several minutes before they were DQ'd, usually you're DQ'd right away.

They ran a hell of a race, hopefully the team is still together (and better) for Rio 2016.

127Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

comment edited Sarcasm

Last edited by Big Ev on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

128Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

That's not really funny, is it? If you think it is, I feel a little sorry for you.

Anyhow, the Canadian team ran the third best time. Him stepping on the inside (which I have not seen, and could not find any images -- this is why I bolded the part I did) did not interfere with anyone nor did it give them a meaningful advantage, certainly nothing enough to undo their lead.

Within the spirit of competition -- which is what these games are all about -- the Canadians ran a good race and finished third.

Tell me, the last time you drove down the highway doing 105, were you stopped for a ticket? What if you were driving 115 and everyone else was doing the same? The rules are there for a purpose, and if the purpose for which they were written is not being broken/broached/whatever, then there is no need to enforce the rule.

129Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

it was both funny and serious at the same time. I'm white, we're not as good at running. That's just a fact.

130Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

let's not go all PC now

131Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:30 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:let's not go all PC now

There's a difference between PC and not being an idiot.

132Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yah, the joke wasn't funny because it wasn't funny. It's like making fun of a white guy for jumping, it's been done for about 30 years.

133Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I was on vacation. Back now.

What the hell was the deal with the opening and closing ceremonies? Other than some good musical acts, they were totally whacky. I guess this is usually the case...from what I remember of Vancouver's ceremonies, they were pretty strange too. I don't really get why countries feel the need to "one up" the previous Olympics when it comes to the opening/closing ceremonies...talk about a giant waste of money.

134Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The Winter Olympics in France still gives me the cold sweats some times. The blow-up beavers comes close, but only in how it sounds, not how it actually looked.

135Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Yah, the joke wasn't funny because it wasn't funny. It's like making fun of a white guy for jumping, it's been done for about 30 years.

it wasn't a joke though

anyways I'll let it go, maybe it was dumb

136Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
What the hell was the deal with the opening and closing ceremonies? Other than some good musical acts, they were totally whacky. I guess this is usually the case...from what I remember of Vancouver's ceremonies, they were pretty strange too. I don't really get why countries feel the need to "one up" the previous Olympics when it comes to the opening/closing ceremonies...talk about a giant waste of money.

That's pretty much what the Olympics are(trying to one up the world as the host country), although China really brought the need to "one up" the rest of the world.

And the Olympics are a huge waste of money, I don't think any country that hosts gets that money back.

It took 30 years to pay off the Big Owe in Montreal as an extreme example.

137Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:45 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

London could've one-upped the whole world for eternity if they just showed Freddie Mercury on the Jumbotron. End.

138Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 9 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

They did show Freddie Mercury. What I was hoping for was a giant hologram of Freddie Mercury, and I did not get that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum