GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Carolina Hurricanes @ Ottawa Senators, Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 7:00 PM EST

+11
Flo The Action
Hobiesens
Ev
Hoags
wprager
tim1_2
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
shabbs
Riprock
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
The hits are an issue, but the production may not be with the infusion of young talent coming. I could see Silfverberg equalling him in points (maybe more like 30, but close), Zibanejad will be a hitter, Stone can come in and play, Noesen is THE guy that will replace Foligno I think.

Don't forget, I'm not proposing moving Foligno for a pick or anything, I'm proposing a guy like Bogosian (perhaps not him because the Jets won't let him go, but someone young and good).

Except for Silf (maybe Zib) none of those players will likely hit such numbers(or even be in the NHL) anytime soon.

We'd be downgrading the team in the short term at least.

We'll see, I see Foligno's production and his style of play as slightly redundant personally, but what makes him special is his leadership and hits.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Heh. You "pragered" me. Correct spelling != correct grammar.

Wink

Maybe I should really start keeping stats. I was actually making fun of myself there (saying how I almost blew a gasket -- you didn't seriously think that I am that riled up over these things, right?) But actual, real corrections (and not the typos that lead to some inadvertently clever/funny stuff) -- I defy anyone here to find a recent one.

Go on. Go now, you've been defied. Go ahead, I'll wait.
I picture you curled up in a ball rocking back and forth in the corner of a room when Neely starts posting...

Wink

Actually NEELY's posts have been fine. He's slipping Smile

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
We'll see, I see Foligno's production and his style of play as slightly redundant personally, but what makes him special is his leadership and hits.

It's only redundant if someone replaces what he provides, or exceeds it. Right now I don't see anything.

We can't have another soft team or we'll just have a repeat of '07, assuming we make it to the SCF again.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

It's only redundant if someone replaces what he provides, or exceeds it. Right now I don't see anything.

We can't have another soft team or we'll just have a repeat of '07, assuming we make it to the SCF again.

I think you'll find that we're a lot tougher than that team - and I also think you're in for a (slight) surprise with Silfverberg. Either you are, or I am lol.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

Soft?

We have Carkner, Phillips and Cowen on the back-end (one on each pairing), Greening on the top line, Foligno on the second, Smith and Neil on the third, Daugavins, Klinhammer, Konopka on the fourth.

This is not at all like the '07 lineup.

And if we get Lehner and his elbows in the lineup, look out.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
Soft?

We have Carkner, Phillips and Cowen on the back-end (one on each pairing), Greening on the top line, Foligno on the second, Smith and Neil on the third, Daugavins, Klinhammer, Konopka on the fourth.

I'm not saying we are soft just saying trading away a physical player like Foligno isn't the way we want to be trending without an adequate replacement. For example Buffalo traded Kassian away because they have Marcus Foligno (who seems even better).

I doubt Konopka will play in the playoffs, O'Brien is far better and less stupid. Winchester is also physical and looks like he's recovered.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:
Soft?

I'm not saying we are soft just saying trading away a physical player like Foligno isn't the way we want to be trending without an adequate replacement. For example Buffalo traded Kassian away because they have Marcus Foligno (who seems even better).

I doubt Konopka will play in the playoffs, O'Brien is far better and less stupid. Winchester is also physical and looks like he's recovered.

I see your point for sure Hoags, it's a huge reason I think he has the value he has - and we might want to keep him around while the young guys mature - heck, we might want to keep him around period, but if we can get someone like Bogosian for him + high pick, then you have to do it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I definitely want to keep Foligno. As long as he gets constant reminders to keep moving his feet, he could find some consistency and actually score 20/50 to 25/60. I just don't think that, even losing Foligno, we are anything like the one-line 2007 version. Remember, that's the year we gave up Chara to stick with Redden. No wonder we weren't that tough. With Big-Z around nobody felt the need to step up. Took them a while to realize he was gone because the coaches didn't give anyone that job.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
I see your point for sure Hoags, it's a huge reason I think he has the value he has - and we might want to keep him around while the young guys mature - heck, we might want to keep him around period, but if we can get someone like Bogosian for him + high pick, then you have to do it.

I just can't see a player like Bogosian being available, if a team has a guy like that you don't trade him, not for a 1st round pick and Foligno anyway. You saw what we gave up for Turris.

Cowen and Karlsson will be our top pairing for the next decade, we need someone to play with EK until Cowen can handle those minutes, it doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. Maybe we can resign Kuba, maybe we can resign someone else.

I thought Ballard would be a good fit here, but he's just an injury prone mess in Vancouver.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I agree. Again, especially with two legitimate prospects coming up really soon who can hit and grind in Noesen and Zibanejad.

It's not that far away, it should be an interesting summer to see what they do. Got a lot of really smart guys in the pipeline in management as well. There was a report that Dorion was in the mix for GM in Montreal - and I doubt he gets that, but he's going to be our assistant GM soon. Tim Murray is excellent as well. I wouldn't actually be surprised to hear Murray has moved from GM to an adviser role while Tim takes the reigns in a couple of years with Dorion as his assistant - in other words, very good hands I think.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I agree. Again, especially with two legitimate prospects coming up really soon who can hit and grind in Noesen and Zibanejad.

I don't think Noesen and Zibanejad will be a factor in the NHL anytime soon.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, I agree. Again, especially with two legitimate prospects coming up really soon who can hit and grind in Noesen and Zibanejad.

Possibly not, I have to remember how young they both are.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:

Zibanejad is a Calder candidate for next season.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

you're kidding, right? Silfverberg has a better chance at winning that then Zibanejad.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:...........

you're kidding, right? Silfverberg has a better chance at winning that then Zibanejad.

No I am not kidding. I didn't say he has a better chance than Silfverberg, just said he has a chance. He is getting terribly underrated because the hype has died down.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

It's ok to have 2 rookies that have a shot at the Calder Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TheAvatar wrote:It's ok to have 2 rookies that have a shot at the Calder Smile

This. Can't we all just get along?

Carolina Hurricanes @ Ottawa Senators, Tuesday, April 3, 2012, 7:00 PM EST - Page 12 Cant-we-all-just-get-along

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think he can be an explosive NHLer - and an impact player, but when? Next year? I dunno...I hope so, but I remain skeptical.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum