GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfredsson to have knee surgery!

+7
Phoenix30
jamvan
Jordo
Hayden
smash88
Cronie
shabbs
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:52 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I just got this in my inbox from Sportsnet:

Daniel Alfredsson will be undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his knee. More details to follow.
WHAT?!?!?!?!?

2Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:53 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

F**K!!! I was JUST about to post it as I just received an email from Sportsnet.ca!

What the hell?!?!?!

EDIT: Could Murray be trying to snag Gaborik to tide us over till Alfie is fully recovered!?!?

Where the hell did this come from? He seemed fine... There was no warning whatsoever?!?!!

Last edited by Cronenbergfan on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

3Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:54 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This is bad... very bad.

4Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:55 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jebus!!

To quote Geena Davis from Cronenberg's The Fly: "Be afraid...Be VERY afraid..."

5Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

What the heck is this about? As if! This better not be true... Why all of a sudden? I really don't understand this one..

6Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 am

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Isn't this the kind of surgery that only take a few weeks to heal. No need to sign him to a new contract - no way he make 70 games.

Would have been nice to take care of this over the summer....

7Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:02 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Oh my good god.

Here comes Sundin.

8Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:03 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hayden:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Jam and I were just discussing this. Fisher had his taken care of, whereas Alfie SHOULD have followed suit over the summer... Stupid, hard-working, leader, stubborn bastard! LOL

9Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:04 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Jordo wrote:Oh my good god.

Here comes Sundin.

F**K, I would freak if you're right!!

One swede goes down, another takes his place... LOL

10Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:08 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

It all makes sense now though Cronie. Melnyk obviously knew about this before he started talking with Sundin.

What I'm afraid of is Sundin taking us to the final rather than Alfie. That would be somewhat nightmarish, no? For Alfie?

What happens when you put a player on the long term IR? When he comes back how much of a hit goes against the cap? Can we financially make this work?

Also to note- if Alfie doesn't play this season, he's ours for 3.8 next year Wink

11Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

More info from Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/10/10/surgery_alfreddson/

To remove a bone chip. Hopefully, he won't be out for too long then.

12Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not sure how that works dude, to be honest.
However, it seems Alfie is only expected to miss about 2 weeks, so that's not great but it could be worse. However, that's still a big void that I think SHOULD be addressed.

13Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

This totally sucks and now our depth doesn't look so deep. ARGH!!!!

14Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 am

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

Cronenbergfan wrote:I'm not sure how that works dude, to be honest.
However, it seems Alfie is only expected to miss about 2 weeks, so that's not great but it could be worse. However, that's still a big void that I think SHOULD be addressed.

I think the long term implications of it are much more severe though. The chance to re-agitate could be fairly high- think of it this way: we get a marquee guy like Sundin or Gaborik (can't see us getting Gaborik), Alfie can take his time and nurse himself back to full health

15Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Empty Re: Alfredsson to have knee surgery! Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

Cronenbergfan wrote:Hayden:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Jam and I were just discussing this. Fisher had his taken care of, whereas Alfie SHOULD have followed suit over the summer... Stupid, hard-working, leader, stubborn bastard! LOL

Ya words out of my mouth as well. Sundin was the 1st thing to come to mind.

I am not sure if this was an issue that came up in the summer or just recently but from a timing side of things it makes sense for Alfie to do it now. With 5 days off after Detroit you have Phoneix and Boston then another 3 off before Florida, Anehiem and TO. 2 more games against Buffalo and Florida round out the month. If the team doesnt do well with the lower end teams in October then there might be some cause for concern but this does open a door for a trade or Sundin to come in if things go south.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum