GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

What would you do?

+3
Riprock
Ev
22_4_ever
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:44 am

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:Anything in there about a better team on the ice?

Didn't think so.

Not specifically about the team but I think it's obvious that has to change. 2 years ago they spent millions to change the ventilation system to "make the ice better" by keeping the building cooler, and to help out the poor people in the 100 level and corporate suites as the cold air was blowing down on them.

It's got to the point where in my seats Row C of the 300 level I have to wear a jacket all game long otherwise freeze.

So often they invest money to the team/building which is really never seen by the patrons. Sure the ice is better but who can tell with how slow our guys skate/play. I just got thinking if we can do something to make playing with the sens more attractive...in house players lounge, new private jet (I know it's 10's of millions so unrealistic) etc.

At this point with the young guys coming in over the next year or two we want to be very selective in what FA's we bring in and want to get the best bang for the buck. Maybe something like the lounge would make the difference between coming to ottawa over maybe Buffalo or Toronto.

17What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:46 am

22_4_ever

Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Dash wrote:Yeah but that's not the job of the fans to decide how to do that. Obviously the team knows that it has a lot of work to do with the team aspect, but they want to know what the spectators want in terms of making their visit more enjoyable.

Then should be able to check a box that says "better team."

indrectly that was my intent..make it a better place for the players and get a better team and I'll be happier. I could care less about a better sound system..I'd give up a new scoreboard, or sound system. hell I'd live with day old popcorn and juiceboxes for the next 3 years if you'd get me a better team on the ice that contends for the cup.

18What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

22_4_ever wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Dash wrote:Yeah but that's not the job of the fans to decide how to do that. Obviously the team knows that it has a lot of work to do with the team aspect, but they want to know what the spectators want in terms of making their visit more enjoyable.

Then should be able to check a box that says "better team."

indrectly that was my intent..make it a better place for the players and get a better team and I'll be happier. I could care less about a better sound system..I'd give up a new scoreboard, or sound system. hell I'd live with day old popcorn and juiceboxes for the next 3 years if you'd get me a better team on the ice that contends for the cup.

Which is why you should have the opportunity to check a box like the one I suggested.

19What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The budget for the team is maxed out. It's not a question of spending money improving facilities or spending money on players. We're already at the cap...the problem isn't a question of facilities vs. salaries.

20What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:The budget for the team is maxed out. It's not a question of spending money improving facilities or spending money on players. We're already at the cap...the problem isn't a question of facilities vs. salaries.

OK so how about spending the money on an experienced coach then? Sarcasm

By the way, the team is not at the cap for next year as far as I know. Why is there so much resistance to the idea of a better team being a part of an improved "in game experience?"

21What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:The budget for the team is maxed out. It's not a question of spending money improving facilities or spending money on players. We're already at the cap...the problem isn't a question of facilities vs. salaries.

By the way, the team is not at the cap for next year as far as I know. Why is there so much resistance to the idea of a better team being a part of an improved "in game experience?"

Two different areas. I thought the in-game experience was brutal even when we were going to the Cup Final.

22What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:20 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Two different areas. I thought the in-game experience was brutal even when we were going to the Cup Final.

Right. Because that's the way it's been defined. Doesn't make it right.

In that case they should have lcd screens at every seat that have the latest Holywood blockbusters to watch during the game, oh, and real "Theatre-style" popcorn to enhance the experience too.

23What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You as a decision maker for the team cannot ask fans to tell you how to do your job. You going to leave it to the fans to suggest trading Spezza for Sidney Crosby? Or Phillips for Shea Weber?

No. Leave those decisions to the guys paid to make them.

They just want to know what they can do to make the atmosphere more comfortable. If you don't like the team, do not go.

24What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Dash wrote:You as a decision maker for the team cannot ask fans to tell you how to do your job. You going to leave it to the fans to suggest trading Spezza for Sidney Crosby? Or Phillips for Shea Weber?

No. Leave those decisions to the guys paid to make them.

They just want to know what they can do to make the atmosphere more comfortable. If you don't like the team, do not go.

If you don't like the concessions or the scoreboard, don't go. Laugh1

I don't see how giving the fan the opportunity to simply say that improving the team on the ice is a bigger priority than adding KFC to the menu in adding to their enjoyment is such a big problem. At no time did I say anything about suggest who should be traded or anything of the sort, just a little box that could be checked or left blank at the choosing of the fan.

25What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

But "improve the team" is subjective. The GM makes moves that he thinks improves the team, and not all the fans agree.

That is completely different than being given options to choose from, like a new scoreboard, or a variety of foods.

26What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:51 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SSF, I'm not sure what you're contributing to this thread. Obviously, a better on-ice product would be on the top of everyone's list, but they are already spending as much as they can, and, in theory, trying as hard as they can to make that a reality.

There are plenty of things that can be improved in SBP, and they are just looking for fan's input as to what would make for a more enjoyable experience, other than a better team, of course.

One thing that I know has happened recently is the ushers were all called into a meeting and told to “ease up.” People have complained saying that they’ve been told to “keep it down” or “settle down” by the ushers. This approach doesn’t really make sense at a sporting event.

27What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:SSF, I'm not sure what you're contributing to this thread.

My opinion. Over and out. Dancing

28What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:22 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I can guarantee there will be a new scoreboard in Scotiabank Place next year; they are just trying to pick one. It won’t be cheap.

As for the lounge/chef, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea either. Anything that will help attract free agents to Ottawa is a good idea.

They need better concessions as well. The limited food offerings are poor. The Pizza Pizza pizza is bad, even for Pizza Pizza standards. The beer is fine, even if it is outrageously expensive.

The team has already officially reported they will indeed be getting a new score board before the all star game so that's an easy guarantee. It's already a done deal. ThumbsUp

29What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oops. Didn't know it was already officially reported. They haven't actually picked/ordered one yet though, so I don't know why they would have guaranteed it!! I vote for the same one the new Dallas football stadium:

http://www.vurbmoto.com/media/uploads/articles/2010/20100317_toronto_rookie_report/top_10_dallas_pic.jpg

30What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:40 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

Really,

I was under the impression that a new scoreboard wasn't something that could be thrown together in a month. It took months to build/design. If they want it in place I thought the order had to be in already, although it sounds like you have the inside track on whether it's been ordered.

31What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I do have a source, and while he doesn’t really have the inside track on actual hockey operations, he tends to know what’s going on in and around Scotiabank Place.

32What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:SSF, I'm not sure what you're contributing to this thread.

My opinion. Over and out. Dancing

I think SSF makes a good point though. The team is basically saying, "We've run the team into the ground. What will make you come back, a nice shiny scoreboard (that we're already going to buy) or a better quality hotdog?" The point is, what we really want is for the team to play respectable hockey again.

I don't know. I can see both sides. The team needs to ask for the season ticket holders' opinions, if for nothing else than to make them feel involved. Someone (22_4_ever, I think) recently made comments about the state of the team as it relates to his willingness to renew his tickets next year. I can understand that the team would ask where those fans want the facelift to take place. I also understand SSF's position that none of the above matters.

33What would you do? - Page 2 Empty Re: What would you do? Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore

I see both sides...

So, taking a page from SSF's comment I wanted to answer "improve the team" but obviously that isn't possible. I didn't see how a new sound system or scoreboard, or even new concessions would help me enjoy the game more than a better on ice product.

Drafting we can't influence, but thinking about making playing here more attractive I could only think of things as a player that would make playing here more enjoyable.

If that happens, maybe we sign a goalie like Bryzgalov instead of another team because while we are young and up and coming he has a comfy new players lounge to think about his time in Ottawa, and a new gym/rehab facilities to help recover/prepare better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum