GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

How did the Sharks not see this coming?

+9
shabbs
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Oglethorpe
Hoags
tim1_2
stempniaksen
LethalLehner
Cap'n Clutch
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1How did the Sharks not see this coming? Empty How did the Sharks not see this coming? Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Much like the Sens ,of years past, the Sharks have been perennial regular season juggernauts only to fall drastically short come playoff time. This has gone on for a few years now and not much has changed on this team to make a difference. Ottawa at least had the Cup Finals to hang their hat on in terms of keeping that group mostly in tact. What reason did the Sharks have for keeping this group together? A belief that it would come around? That they'd just been horribly unlucky and underachieved at the wrong time? All they needed was to add to this dynamic group? Obviously it has failed. Will this be the year they blow it up and get rid of some of their core players?

The Sharks currently sit 9th, on a 2 game win streak, and just one point out of a playoff spot. Do they pull it together at the right time and make a "Cinderella" run? I personally don't think so but stranger things have happened. With the grpup of talent they have they should be able to make it tough on whoever they play should they make the playoffs. Should being the operative word.

LethalLehner

LethalLehner
Sophomore
Sophomore

I predict that they will miss the playoffs this year. Marleau traded and Boyle coming home to Ottawa. Dancing I can dream can't I? Nod

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

The Sharks have drafted much better than the Sens in the last few years, but decisions at the pro level have held this team back.

This team is still fine, but they will have to wait a couple years for their defencemen/goaltending prospects to break through. They have the talent up front to keep the team competitive while they wait.

I don't think they are cup contenders by any stretch, but they are definitely a playoff team if they add a capable defenceman.

LethalLehner wrote:I predict that they will miss the playoffs this year. Marleau traded and Boyle coming home to Ottawa. Dancing I can dream can't I? Nod

Boyle? No thanks. Boyle is underperforming on a much more talented line up in San Jose. I don't think there are any defenseman that would come in and look good in Ottawa right now. Besides, at $6.6 million (and a NMC) for 3 more years for a 34 year old defenceman just isn't what Ottawa needs, especially when two of those years we'll be paying Gonchar. Karlsson will be due a raise next season too.

I doubt San Jose blows it up completely though, but I could definitely see Marleau being traded. He's having a craptastic year.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

stempniaksen wrote:The Sharks have drafted much better than the Sens in the last few years, but decisions at the pro level have held this team back.

This team is still fine, but they will have to wait a couple years for their defencemen/goaltending prospects to break through. They have the talent up front to keep the team competitive while they wait.

I don't think they are cup contenders by any stretch, but they are definitely a playoff team if they add a capable defenceman.

Really? Wasn't the drafting the thing that Murray has done well over the last few years? That first sentence sounds a lot like what has happened to the Sens. I do agree that the Sharks have more offensive talent and should remain a playoff team though.

You have to admit that drafting Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch,Lehner, and trading pick for Rundblad to name a few has been a pretty successful few years of drafting no?

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I’d take their lineup over ours, that’s for sure. They also play in the “good” conference. I have a tough time thinking they won’t end up making the playoffs, but maybe it’s time they take a little step backwards to make a big step forwards next year…who knows?

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:The Sharks have drafted much better than the Sens in the last few years, but decisions at the pro level have held this team back.

Really? Wasn't the drafting the thing that Murray has done well over the last few years? That first sentence sounds a lot like what has happened to the Sens. I do agree that the Sharks have more offensive talent and should remain a playoff team though.

You have to admit that drafting Karlsson, Cowen, Weircioch,Lehner, and trading pick for Rundblad to name a few has been a pretty successful few years of drafting no?

The drafting since Murray took over is pretty much the only bright spot looking forward. In other words, without it, we'd have a bleeker outlook than the Leafs and Flames, which in the case of the Flames, is REALLY saying something.

I certainly give props to Murray for making Bingo respectable again and giving them some depth.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

The drafting since Murray took over is pretty much the only bright spot looking forward. In other words, without it, we'd have a bleeker outlook than the Leafs and Flames, which in the case of the Flames, is REALLY saying something.

I certainly give props to Murray for making Bingo respectable again and giving them some depth.

Totally agree. Get rid of anyone advising the team in terms of pro-scouting in fact they should give back part of their paycheques LOL.

tim1_2 wrote:I’d take their lineup over ours, that’s for sure. They also play in the “good” conference. I have a tough time thinking they won’t end up making the playoffs, but maybe it’s time they take a little step backwards to make a big step forwards next year…who knows?

Good point. In the East, the Sharks are a top 3 team even playing this badly. Part of their record shows just how tough the West is imo. That and Heatley, that SOB! Laugh1

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

That's my point. The reason the Sens are where they are is because Muckler and his awful drafting. The sharks have drafted fine over the last few years and have enough in the pipeline to avoid a complete collapse like the Sens have suffered.

That being said if they continue to make mistakes at the pro level it won't matter what they have in the pipeline. Franchises run properly have a healthy balance when it comes to both pro and amateur scouting.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

All that money spent on a top line with Dany Heatley .. hmm where have I seen this before ?

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

hemlock wrote:
I doubt San Jose blows it up completely though, but I could definitely see Marleau being traded. He's having a craptastic year.
He makes a ton and has a full NMC. He has made it clear that he wants to stay in SJ, so I doubt he is moved.

13How did the Sharks not see this coming? Empty Re: How did the Sharks not see this coming? Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

The Sharks have drafted poorly IMO. Other than Couture who is their next best prospect. I would say their future is now, and the proverbial window is beginning to close.

14How did the Sharks not see this coming? Empty Re: How did the Sharks not see this coming? Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:11 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Doug Wilson has a Versage-esque view of former 67s talent.

15How did the Sharks not see this coming? Empty Re: How did the Sharks not see this coming? Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Oglethorpe wrote:

The Sharks have drafted poorly IMO. Other than Couture who is their next best prospect. I would say their future is now, and the proverbial window is beginning to close.

They are definitely gonna peak now, but there future is far from as bad as the Sens had it. Couture, Petrecki, Coyle, Doherty will all be future contributors IMO. And they have a ton of potential moving forward in nets. That coupled with the young talent on the roster in Setoguchi, Pavelski, Clowe and McGinn and they should be fine (everywhere except on D where they could struggle mightily after Boyle is gone).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum