GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Having just made a topic about how Steve Mason should be the Calder front-runner, here's who I believe should be second on that list.

Ryan's been somewhat disappointing (and disappointed) being the #2 pick after Crosby. He had a much longer stay in the minors, and by the time he was actually ready to contribute, he was cut because the Ducks couldn't fit in his salary.

Now, at 21, he's looking to entrench himself on the team. Through 24 games, Ryan has 25 points and is +12.

So far the goal of the season probably belongs to one of Franzen or Datsyuk, but here's one to add to your highlight pack.

2Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:47 pm

B-E-A-UTIFUL. still tough to justify him being #2 in 05, but he still looks like he could become a top level NHL player.

3Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:17 am

I think that Versteeg should give Ryan a run for his money for the runner up for rookie of the year. The winner in my mind is Mason without question. Tonight he shut out a Caps team that had won 12 of 13 and has only one home loss (before tonight). That's his fifth shutout in 24 games so far, and in the process lowers his GAA from 1.82 and his SVP from .934.

Sick. Columbus has been plagued with injuries this year, having hit almost 200 man games lost to injury already (by contrast the Rangers have 10). If somehow, Columbus hangs around, Mason will be the biggest reason. Forget Halak or Price, Mason is the best young goalie in the league.

4Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:46 am

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I agree with the Versteeg mentioning but Ryan has a better PPG ratio and brings other things to the table.

We'll see.

5Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 am

asq2 wrote:I agree with the Versteeg mentioning but Ryan has a better PPG ratio and brings other things to the table.

We'll see.

Yeah, I mean Brassard may very well be ahead of both had he not been injured. But it's all moot anyway with Mason playing lights out.

6Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:04 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

What do you guy's think about Ryan taking #9. I always tought it would be the 1st number retired in Anaheim.

7Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

asq2 wrote:I agree with the Versteeg mentioning but Ryan has a better PPG ratio and brings other things to the table.

We'll see.

Good call, ASQ. Bobby Ryan is phenomenal...

Great player to watch.
:D:

Hm, I believe I had been an advocate for Ryan earlier in the year on this forum...when someone dissed him because the Ducks had to send him down due to cap reasons.

Versteeg has been excellent for the Blackhawks, but Ryan is more spectacular.

8Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Very good call in January. This kid has been absolutely amazing for the Ducks. A young Dany Heatley IMO.

9Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And now Rinne may have pushed Versteeg a little farther down.

10Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:48 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran

504Heater wrote:Very good call in January. This kid has been absolutely amazing for the Ducks. A young Dany Heatley IMO.

He's got more playmaking ability and speed then Heathly IMO.

11Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

caissie_1 wrote:
504Heater wrote:Very good call in January. This kid has been absolutely amazing for the Ducks. A young Dany Heatley IMO.

He's got more playmaking ability and speed then Heathly IMO.

On the other hand, Heatley scores more often than Casanova.

Not particularly similar players, IMO. But doesn't mean Ryan is/will be a better player, necessarily.

12Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

He's an amazing player, but before we can compare him to a present day Heatley, he'll have to post at least one 100 point season (preferably two...in a row).

13Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:04 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:He's an amazing player, but before we can compare him to a present day Heatley, he'll have to post at least one 100 point season (preferably two...in a row).

You're right in that I do think he compares with the younger, faster Heatley in Atlanta.

I don't think Ryan boasts Heatley's goal-scoring instincts, though. He'll put the puck in the net a lot, but I don't know if I see back-to-back 50 goal seasons in him.

14Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:27 pm

davetherave

davetherave
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:And now Rinne may have pushed Versteeg a little farther down.

Hey, Ryan, Versteeg and Rinne are ALL sensational...nobody's pushing anybody down.

But Mason IS the rookie of the year.

15Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Empty Re: Bobby Ryan Coming Into His Own Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Doughty and Schenn have been pretty tremendous too, and I'm convinced Bogosian would have been as well had he not been injured.

It's been a pretty good year for rookies, though I'm not sure we'll ever see an all-rookie team like the class of 2005-2006 quite again:

Ovechkin - Crosby - Boyes

Meszaros - Phaneuf

Lundqvist

Shocked!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum