GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nabokov released by SKA contract, now a free agent

+8
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
Riprock
wprager
SensHulk
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

The risk can be managed by talking to the GMs ahead of you in the hopper.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:The risk can be managed by talking to the GMs ahead of you in the hopper.
But it's still a risk. Wink

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

But its not re-entry waiver is it? i.e. half the salary if he's picked up by someone else?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:But its not re-entry waiver is it? i.e. half the salary if he's picked up by someone else?
Hmmm... good question. I'm not sure.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I am under the understanding that any team is free to negotiate and sign him but he must pass through re-entry waivers of sorts, but the team that claims him is responsible for the full amount. I think it might be a preventive measure so that teams do not stack up on players coming from foreign teams.

Any chance Tampa signs him?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Dash wrote:I am under the understanding that any team is free to negotiate and sign him but he must pass through re-entry waivers of sorts, but the team that claims him is responsible for the full amount. I think it might be a preventive measure so that teams do not stack up on players coming from foreign teams.

Any chance Tampa signs him?

Yeah that makes sense, otherwise there's no way any team signs him since they'd have to massively overpay to avoid waiver pickup.

Tampa seems like a perfect fit....but isn't waiver order based on the crappier teams getting first dibs?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:But its not re-entry waiver is it? i.e. half the salary if he's picked up by someone else?

No, as far as I understand it's not considered re-entry.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

No, not re-entry waivers, just regular waiver. And I really don't think that the team who signs him has a chance to claim him via waivers -- just the other 29 teams.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ottawa should make him a "reasonable" offer. What's the worst that could happen? If we get him then we have our replacement for Leclaire next season and if another team picks him up no harm done.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think we should nab him if it's 1.5 or less. He's an elite regular season goalie. I'll take my chances should we make the playoffs. Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:I think we should nab him if it's 1.5 or less. He's an elite regular season goalie. I'll take my chances should we make the playoffs. Smile

Totally agree except on price tag. No risk really. No one is expecting us to make the playoffs and if we do there's no expectation of a deep playoff run so it makes sense to me.

I think I'd offer more than 1.5 though. Chances are another team will offer more. Give Nabokov a 2 year deal, re-sign Elliott and by the time Nabby's deal is over Lehner will be ready. Nabokov will put butts in the seats as he gives Sens fans a false sense of having a better team due to improved position in the standings this year and even better next season.

- Unknown Author

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think we've only got about 1.5M cap space, we'd have to waive one of our goalies to get him.

Goaltending isn't our biggest problem and I'm not sure how well he'd play, he wasn't very good in the KHL although it sounds like his family (all from SJ didn't like it there).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I think we've only got about 1.5M cap space, we'd have to waive one of our goalies to get him.

Goaltending isn't our biggest problem and I'm not sure how well he'd play, he wasn't very good in the KHL although it sounds like his family (all from SJ didn't like it there).

.922 save % last year in SJ. That's...pretty damn good.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nabby will steal us some games for sure and will be exciting to watch. That alone will put more butts in the seats and will give Melnyk some playoff dates. It also provides a winning environment and a bit of a safety net so the young players can learn. A 2 year deal is about perfect because it gives Cowen next season to make some terrible rookie mistakes and not have them all cost us goals as he grows and improves overall.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Nabby will steal us some games for sure and will be exciting to watch. That alone will put more butts in the seats and will give Melnyk some playoff dates. It also provides a winning environment and a bit of a safety net so the young players can learn. A 2 year deal is about perfect because it gives Cowen next season to make some terrible rookie mistakes and not have them all cost us goals as he grows and improves overall.

I'd do 1.5 X 2 for sure. He'd never take a multi-year deal for that price, would he? I'd be all over that personally. This team is fragile in the biggest way, adding a star goalie isn't a bad idea.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I think we should nab him if it's 1.5 or less. He's an elite regular season goalie. I'll take my chances should we make the playoffs. Smile

Totally agree except on price tag. No risk really. No one is expecting us to make the playoffs and if we do there's no expectation of a deep playoff run so it makes sense to me.

I think I'd offer more than 1.5 though. Chances are another team will offer more. Give Nabokov a 2 year deal, re-sign Elliott and by the time Nabby's deal is over Lehner will be ready. Nabokov will put butts in the seats as he gives Sens fans a false sense of having a better team due to improved position in the standings this year and even better next season.

although when Nabby sh!ts the bed, you're off to the Brick to get a new one.....

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Nabby will steal us some games for sure and will be exciting to watch. That alone will put more butts in the seats and will give Melnyk some playoff dates. It also provides a winning environment and a bit of a safety net so the young players can learn. A 2 year deal is about perfect because it gives Cowen next season to make some terrible rookie mistakes and not have them all cost us goals as he grows and improves overall.

I'd do 1.5 X 2 for sure. He'd never take a multi-year deal for that price, would he? I'd be all over that personally. This team is fragile in the biggest way, adding a star goalie isn't a bad idea.

I wouldn't do more than 2 years anyway. Would he take 1.5 though? Would that be high enough that other teams wouldn't put a waiver claim on him?

You have Nabby for the rest of this season, he gets you in to the 8th spot and maybe we make it a 7 game series or surprise and get out of round one. Next season we finish top 5 and our young players are allowed to make mistakes without it costing us games and then the year after that Lehner and Elliott are ready to take the team over. Of course it depends a lot on how Foligno, Regin and Karlsson are progressing and on what kind of trades and FA signings the Sens make but I think 2 years is perfect. A third would be nice if you think Elliott - Lehner isn't a good tandem.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
although when Nabby sh!ts the bed, you're off to the Brick to get a new one.....

Usually that's in the playoffs, isn't it? I'll take just getting to the playoffs right now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum