GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nabokov released by SKA contract, now a free agent

+8
Cap'n Clutch
rooneypoo
Riprock
wprager
SensHulk
Number Twenty Nine
shabbs
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Huge news this morning:

People like Kulka are reporting that Nabokov has been outright released and is a UFA. Unbelievable stuff.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

December 13, by mutual agreement of the parties with regard to family circumstances to terminate the contract between the hockey clubs SKA and goalie Evgeni Nabokov.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I believe that any club signing him would have to put him through waivers first.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes... I think that is correct too. Same issue was with Jagr. Coming off a KHL contract, you have to go through waivers. I think it's called the Ruotsalainen rule.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:I believe that any club signing him would have to put him through waivers first.

How does that work? Wasn't he a UFA before he went overseas?

Do you make him an offer and then someone can scoop him on waivers? Doesn't make sense.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:I believe that any club signing him would have to put him through waivers first.

How does that work? Wasn't he a UFA before he went overseas?

Do you make him an offer and then someone can scoop him on waivers? Doesn't make sense.
It's because he's coming off a European contract.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

well...I wonder why the split occurred....clearly Nabokov wants back into the NHL but for what reason???

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:well...I wonder why the split occurred....clearly Nabokov wants back into the NHL but for what reason???

Wife didn't like it there is the first thing that came to mind.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Probably misses the san jose weather.....Florida should trade Vokoun asap and sign Nabokov to a multi-year deal. Wife gets the sun, Panthers get a bonafide number one goalie through waivers (I'm assuming they'll have one of the first dibs on him). Everyone wins!

Seriously, I'd like someone to educate me a little more on how waiver-wire goes with KHL free agents

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:Seriously, I'd like someone to educate me a little more on how waiver-wire goes with KHL free agents
I don't think it's too complicated. Basically, if you are a free agent coming off a KHL (or any European) contract and sign with an NHL team, you have to go through waivers.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
Michallica wrote:Seriously, I'd like someone to educate me a little more on how waiver-wire goes with KHL free agents
I don't think it's too complicated. Basically, if you are a free agent coming off a KHL (or any European) contract and sign with an NHL team, you have to go through waivers.

How does the contract negotiation work? Oh I think I get it. You sign with a team, but then you have to go through waivers, got it!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:

How does the contract negotiation work? Oh I think I get it. You sign with a team, but then you have to go through waivers, got it!
Yeah, exactly. So, it's a risk the team takes when negotiating with a player that has those restrictions. You work to get a contract done and then bring him up through waivers and risk your player getting pinched by someone else.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The risk can be managed by talking to the GMs ahead of you in the hopper.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:The risk can be managed by talking to the GMs ahead of you in the hopper.
But it's still a risk. Wink

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

But its not re-entry waiver is it? i.e. half the salary if he's picked up by someone else?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum