GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010

+22
PKC
cash
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
rooneypoo
SensHulk
LeCaptain
Hobiesens
sens4win
asq2
Bramlet07
Hockeyhero22000
Flo The Action
stempniaksen
Ev
PTFlea
SensGirl11
wprager
CockRoche
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
26 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Ottawa @ Philadelphia, Nov 15, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_lcap240%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 40% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_lcap220%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 Vote_rcap2 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Well it seems that Murray and co. don't have a ton of confidence in Elliott to be the undisputed future #1 tender of this team, since they've rushed Lehner to the pros.

He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

You don't have to have a super-human goalie, it just doesn't hurt to have one Smile. People in Ottawa want to have a great goalie because we've been let down by so many in the past...if Elliott just plays like the best goalie we've ever had (arguably Lalime, Emery, Tugnutt) then I don't think that's good enough.

I'm not writing him off, I just don't see him ever becoming amazing. To me he's a Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, or Dwayne Roloson (which actually isn't bad at all).

Last edited by Big Ev on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Big Ev wrote:Well it seems that Murray and co. don't have a ton of confidence in Elliott to be the undisputed future #1 tender of this team, since they've rushed Lehner to the pros.

He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each games.

You don't have to have a super-human goalie, it just doesn't hurt to have one Smile.

Let's get one then! Cheering

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:
I knew I was going to see this at some point, but it's just such a bad idea. Not that Alfie and Spezza aren't compatible, but even when Kovalev and Spezza (and Regin) haven't put any points up, they've been dominant. Last night they got neutralized by a very good, very prepared, very passionate, and very well-coached team, and they still had a point each. There is zero defensible logic in splitting those two, and only the one reason Imo to take Regin off that line, which is to put him with Alfie to get the Captain rolling again.

I blackball that idea Sarcasm :crossarms:

I think you run things based around Spezza right now, he's hot and he's the guy who can feed pucks onto Alfie's stick - because it isn't Fisher right now. Get a new vibe, change it up. Kovalev and Regin are hot as well, so they can flank Fisher and hopefully get their chemistry from last year.

Or Shannon with Fisher and Michalek - that's speedy at least. Or the FFS. Who knows...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'll take a goalie who's sports between a .915 and a .920 - preferably closer to .920 obviously. I think Elliott is that guy personally.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Do you mean career or per season? Because not a lot of goalies finish their career with a .915-.920 SV%. Patrick Roy's is .910.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah CR, Elliott really is blossoming in front of our eyes - like Karlsson, Regin to name two others. It's a revelation, the guy is good.

Yes, he's good, but he'll never be amazing (IMO, and I sound like a broken record probably). Hopefully that's where Lehner comes in...or the team improves a lot and Elliott becomes Osgood.

To me, Elliott just doesn't have that it factor

I think you meant to say, the "I read it on Dobber's site factor". Sarcasm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:See I disagree with that, the big games are like the games vs Philly and Vancouver (obviously that was Leclaire though)...the winning streak was against some average teams (except MTL, can't remember if they were part of the winning streak). so to me those aren't "big games".

When I say "it factor' I mean a guy who really shines, like Halak or Quick, or Rask last season.
You can keep your "IT FACTOR". I'll use the "WIN FACTOR". Would it surprise you to know that Elliott has a better NHL career winning percentage that Halak, Quick or Rask.

You go ahead and wish you had someone else, but Elliott has been written off at every level, and yet somehow he just keep succeeding.

So everybody from Big Ev to Pierre McGuire can go ahead and doubt him, I'll enjoy watching all of you wondering how a goalie without the "IT FACTOR" just keeps winning.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LOL rooneypoo I have heard that term long before Dobber Hockey Smile

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Oglethorpe wrote:
Big Ev wrote:See I disagree with that, the big games are like the games vs Philly and Vancouver (obviously that was Leclaire though)...the winning streak was against some average teams (except MTL, can't remember if they were part of the winning streak). so to me those aren't "big games".

When I say "it factor' I mean a guy who really shines, like Halak or Quick, or Rask last season.
You can keep your "IT FACTOR". I'll use the "WIN FACTOR". Would it surprise you to know that Elliott has a better NHL career winning percentage that Halak, Quick or Rask.

You go ahead and wish you had someone else, but Elliott has been written off at every level, and yet somehow he just keep succeeding.

So everybody from Big Ev to Pierre McGuire can go ahead and doubt him, I'll enjoy watching all of you wondering how a goalie without the "IT FACTOR" just keeps winning.

LOL I was just using Halak as an example, but if you really want to say that you'd rather have Elliott over Halak then I'll just let you be.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Anyways, I hope Elliott will prove me wrong over the next couple of seasons and start winning some more games consistently (other than long streaks most of the time).

That's all I've got to say about our goaltending now...I really don't wanna start a big bru-haha over it.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:Anyways, I hope Elliott will prove me wrong over the next couple of seasons and start winning some more games consistently (other than long streaks most of the time).

That's all I've got to say about our goaltending now...I really don't wanna start a big bru-haha over it.
9 wins so far this year, 8 for Halak. Big difference is GAA, mind you Elliott has faced 127 more shots in only 39 more minutes. Hmm....... Sarcasm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Price is the best goalie this year IMO. End of 2nd period, 33 stops GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 432129

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

marakh wrote:Price is the best goalie this year IMO. End of 2nd period, 33 stops GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 432129

I have swam against the current on that debate and said that Montreal chose the right goalie for the future.

Should be interesting watching their careers over the years.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

no no... that winning streak got us out of the basement. They were very big games, regardless of the opponent.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

SeawaySensFan wrote:

If Elliott didn't win vs. Boston that would have been considered a big game too, right? DancingBanana

That was also a big game and an outstanding performance. Added motivation included Daron and his 100th... 2 days later, he looked shaky early, even though it didn't bite him, but you could see he was unnerved in the opening 10 minutes (probably because his team did Cuss all during that time period).

My overall point is I guess the same as with any player and especially any goalie: Until he proves he can win when it matters most, I won't believe he has that ability.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

CockRoche wrote:
marakh wrote:Price is the best goalie this year IMO. End of 2nd period, 33 stops GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Philadelphia Flyers - 7:00pm ET - MON. Nov. 15, 2010 - Page 10 432129

I have swam against the current on that debate and said that Montreal chose the right goalie for the future.

Price's stats were considered bad last year but they were still better than Elliott and Leclaire. I think the big issue was no so much one goalie over the other but that Montreal received so little for Halak.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:Well it seems that Murray and co. don't have a ton of confidence in Elliott to be the undisputed future #1 tender of this team, since they've rushed Lehner to the pros.
He's been good at every level (well, only NCAA and AHL). but he's never been dominant. Obviously everyone shares different opinions oin each position of the team, but I would prefer my goalie to be elite. It just gives you more confidence knowing you don't have to worry about the guy between the pipes each game.

You don't have to have a super-human goalie, it just doesn't hurt to have one Smile. People in Ottawa want to have a great goalie because we've been let down by so many in the past...if Elliott just plays like the best goalie we've ever had (arguably Lalime, Emery, Tugnutt) then I don't think that's good enough.

I'm not writing him off, I just don't see him ever becoming amazing. To me he's a Chris Mason, Dan Ellis, or Dwayne Roloson (which actually isn't bad at all).

Nope, doing what's right for Lehner's development (he would stagnate in the CHL, having already dominated as an 18 year old) has nothing to do with the goaltending debate in Ottawa. If they rush him to the NHL next season and he hasn't proven the ability to dominate the A by that time, that would be meaningful; the decision to sign him and let him continue to develop at the proper level is not.

As far as the comparison goes, I would absolutely put him in a higher tier, now and definitely in the future. Imo he's got the potential to shut it down like Thomas, while playing more like Ward. I've always thought there were a lot of similarities between Ward and Elliott, not the least of which is their path to the pros.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

dennycrane wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Price's stats were considered bad last year but they were still better than Elliott and Leclaire. I think the big issue was no so much one goalie over the other but that Montreal received so little for Halak.

I'm fairly certain that the talk last year was about the team's poor stats in front of Price. They didn't give him much run suppport and their record was far worse with him in net, despite the fact that his reg season numbers were actually quite close to Halak's---Price had a .912 sv% and 0 shutouts...that says a lot.

Also, Lars Eller is awesome, and to get another prospect with the potential to reach the NHL with him is not a bad deal. Look at what goalies are traded for....it's not much. That return was very good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum