GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Daron Richardson passes away

+8
TheAvatar
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
beedub
Flo The Action
PKC
wprager
SensHulk
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Daron Richardson passes away Empty Daron Richardson passes away Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:02 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

This deserves a thread of its own.

I'm in shock at something like this. For such a young girl to take her own life....I'll never be able to understand this. Even just as a fan, this breaks our hearts and this must be so difficult for the Richardsons.

R.I.P. Daron Richardson

2Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was so, so sad to hear this. You never get over the loss of a child. A part of you is broken, forever.

3Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:47 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

This puts a lot of things in to perspective. I hope the Richardsons can understand that it's not their fault and to not be consumed by regret because it will destroy the rest of their lives.

What a shame. Only 14 years old. It seems like North American culture is at the tipping point of a teen suicide epidemic. I hope this opens some parents' eyes about the importance of teen mental health.

4Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

terrible, just terrible.

5Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:45 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

they're planning a memorial for daron at SBP on Wednesday

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341308

OTTAWA - A public memorial service has been scheduled for the daughter of Ottawa Senators assistant coach Luke Richardson.

Daron Richardson, 14, died in an Ottawa hospital over the weekend.

The memorial is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. ET Wednesday on the arena floor at Scotiabank Place.

In a team statement, the Richardson family asked that any donations in lieu of flowers be made to the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health's youth program.

6Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:28 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I cannot begin to imagine the pain being felt in the Richardson family. I have kids that age, and to have one of them torn from my grasp..........I cannot fathom.

7Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:49 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

This absolutely breaks my heart. I cannot even imagine the pain the Richardson family is going through right now.

I really don't know what else to say, but I offer my deepest sympathies to the Richardson family, I hope that they can cope through the pain they are feeling and stay close together, they need each other more than ever right now.

8Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:14 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My deepest condolences. The Richardson family has asked, should you wish to do so, that donations be made to the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health Youth program in memoriam to Daron. I have provided a link on the main forum page. It's the orange button called - "In Support of the Richardson Family". If you click on that link it will bring you to a page where you can donate if you wish.

- Unknown Author

9Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Ceremony has now begun. Lets all take a moment to observe a moment of silence.

- Unknown Author

10Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:34 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

1000s of people in attendance for todays ceremony.

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/11/17/16181666.html

- Unknown Author

11Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:05 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Some tear jerking stories from the memorial today. Give your loved ones an extra hug today.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2010/11/17/16185321.html

Any of the thousands in the stands at Scotiabank Place Wednesday morning who didn't know Daron Richardson before, certainly have an intimate picture of her now.

For nearly two hours, devastated teachers and friends struggled through eulogies and emotional anecdotes about the 14-year-old Ottawa girl who took her own life Friday night.

She was the daughter of Senators assistant coach and former long-time NHL defenceman Luke Richardson and his wife Stephanie.

Daron's godfather Michael Dagenais painted a picture of a girl who lived life to the fullest and was loved by everyone who knew her. Someone who may have taken their own life, but through organ donation, had saved four other lives by Sunday.

He spoke about the dynamic within the family -- Luke, Stephanie and eldest daughter Morgan -- right up to the last moment.

Dagenais said as her sister lay dying at CHEO, Morgan called for someone to bring her iPod. She then fired it up and instead of putting the headphones in her own ears, put them in Daron's, "So she could hear the music instead of the beeping machines."

Dagenais was often a stand-in father for Luke -- who was often occupied as a professional hockey player. He said one of the proudest moments of his life was taking Daron to a father-daughter dance.

"She was a vision of beauty and grace," he said.

Memorial emcee Garry Galley called the Richardsons "an inspiration to us all" for being so open about how their daughter died.

Many of the mourners were in tears for nearly a half-hour as friend after friend took the microphone to painfully recount what they will miss most about the successful, athletic and popular young woman.

"I wish I could have been with you when you really needed someone," said one of the girls who made up the so-called inseparable group of 7.

Her entire bantam girls hockey team also went on the stage, with several members giving statements while the others stood together. They rolled up their pant-legs to show they'd worn their socks high in tribute to the style popular with their teammate.

Daron's stature at Ashbury College was another memorable part of the service, recounted by faculty, who still walk past her art that hangs in the hallways.

She was a good student as well as creative and artistic. Her drama teacher struggled and broke down.

"She was an exceptional human being in every sense," said Greg Simpson, turning to look at the casket. "You are truly loved."

At least 100 NHLers, former NHLers and team reps had planned to attend, including former teammates such as Paul Coffey, Doug Gilmour, Ron Hextall and Craig MacTavish. The ceremony was scheduled for about an hour, but lasted almost two full hours.

Among them were Senators GM Bryan Murray, who like Luke is from the Pontiac town of Shawville.

No family members will make public statements today, the Senators said.

Members of the Senators team headed for the airport immediately after the memorial to attend their game tonight in Carolina.

The Richardson family has asked for in memoriam donations to the Royal Ottawa Foundation for Mental Health Youth Program.

12Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

That is heartbreaking. I feel deeply for them.

13Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Wait until the real story of the circumstances behind her suicide come out...should justify why a lot of her school peers are saying it came out of no where.

14Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:04 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PKC wrote:Wait until the real story of the circumstances behind her suicide come out...should justify why a lot of her school peers are saying it came out of no where.

I'm not sure if the real story will ever be solved...I mean, how would they ever know?

15Daron Richardson passes away Empty Re: Daron Richardson passes away Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:17 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

What I've been able to gather is very little but it appears that some sort of accident occurred at their home for which Daron felt she needed to commit suicide over.

I simply googled her name and looked at a few blogs and discussion boards. I got curious because of what PKC wrote. Not sure if that helps or makes people even more curious.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum