GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

murray to make changes to the roster?

+27
SDH89
cash
SensGirl11
SensHulk
Amnesia021
SeawaySensFan
CockRoche
ddt
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Hoags
LeCaptain
Phoenix30
PKC
rooneypoo
Number Twenty Nine
The Silfer Server
beerandsens
shabbs
TheAvatar
Ev
dennycrane
Riprock
wprager
PTFlea
Flo The Action
31 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 20]

1murray to make changes to the roster? Empty murray to make changes to the roster? Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

ok with Murray’s press conference the other day I was thinking we need a topic with any relevant information about the possible roster change.

One thing I have noticed is that Spezza’s name is still being thrown out there by the media and bloggers.

I’d personally would discard it since I think Spezza isn’t one player we’d actually want to part with(IMO) but I wonder if there’s any truth or is it residual from the summer’s rumours.

The reports are coming from ESPN, hockey 30 and… hockey buzz Facepalm . (we can all discard the last one I guess).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Strickland's running his mouth that Murray is offering Spezza around, but his credibility isn't where it used to be. I'll see if I can find the article.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's here:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matthew-Barry/No-Doan-No-Handzal-No-Problem---Yotes-Down-Kings-4-2/125/30918

(Sorry for the HB link.)

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/Sens-Already-Looking-to-Deal

We're barely two weeks into the season and Ottawa GM Bryan Murray is already fed up. Sources tell TrueHockey.com Murray is still trying to find a taker for Jason Spezza. Although some in Ottawa may completely disagree, Murray is no dummy and is well aware it is nearly impossible to move Spezza's lucrative contract. While Murray is throwing Spezza's name out there he's also apparently very unhappy with his blueline. If he can move a one or two pieces from his "D" he won't hesitate to do so.

Ottawa is currently averaging 2.00 goals per game while allowing 3.50. They have scored an embarrassing 2 power play goals on 24 chances thus far. Only two players on the roster have a positive plus/minus rating.

The question is, will it make any difference?

More to come,

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

To be honest, I still think that there's not much Ottawa can do that makes sense for them or for other teams.

You've got the high-end prospects, the mid-tier prospects/AHLers, the players of medium-to-high value, the role players, and the untradeables.

Propsects:
Karlsson, Lehner, Rundblad, Cowen, Wiercioch, Hoffman, Petersson, Silfverberg, Cowick

Mid-Tier:
Lee, Smith, Bass, Greening, O'Brien, Condra

Valued NHL Players:
Alfredsson, Spezza, Fisher, Phillips, Kuba (?), Michalek, Foligno, Regin

Role Players:
Kelly, Neil, Ruutu

Untradeable:
Kovalev, Leclaire, Kuba(?)

To trade the untradeables you'd have to include a high pick and/or prospect, or take an equally untradeable player in return.

And it makes no sense for Ottawa to trade Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch, Rundblad, Lehner, Silfverberg, Petersson, Hoffman or Cowick.

And I doubt they trade Alfredsson. Maybe Phillips and Fisher.

But why trade Spezza (who some might even consider untradeable due to performance vs. contract). And why move Michalek?

Wouldn't be surprised if Murray's making people worry about their jobs to spark some effort.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's not on TSN or tweeted by any reliable twitter.

Who's this Strickland? What's his credentials, apart from coming from the HB rumor-mill?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

i certainly don't want spezza to be moved. it's not a matter of seing go more of a matter of we wouldn't be able to replace him. now if we did land a Brichards next year, then i could think about it. but in the present it's a big no

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Spezza is going nowhere.

If the Sens split the weekend, it isn't so bad. They have a pretty easy schedule the next couple weeks. If they aren't .500 or higher by their road trip Nov. 13th, Murray will make a huge change to save his job, just not Spezza.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think we should be saying our schedule is easy when we're in last place.

10murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

dennycrane wrote:Spezza is going nowhere.

If the Sens split the weekend, it isn't so bad. They have a pretty easy schedule the next couple weeks. If they aren't .500 or higher by their road trip Nov. 13th, Murray will make a huge change to save his job, just not Spezza.
that doesn't sound good. Ohnoes!

11murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:57 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators GM Bryan Murray is finding picking slim as he shops around for "a defenseman with some muscle", as he's been offered mostly expensive players. Garrioch noted there were 12 scouts from 12 different teams taking in Friday's Senators-Buffalo Sabres game. SPECTOR'S NOTE: Not surprising Murray's finding slim picking in the trade market, as most teams would likely want to dump their expensive mistakes.

it's garioch but i'm sure there were scouts a plenty.

12murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:21 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Hmmm.... just to throw it out there, but what about Souray for Kovalev?

Only draw back is Ottawa gets a guy who when healthy has been able to put up offensive numbers, but defensively not the greatest. Also Kovalev is a FA after this year, and that is great for Edmonton, but SS has a few years left IIRC.

Two other guys who have been said to be available - Regehr and Staios. Sarich would be awesome too.

13murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:Hmmm.... just to throw it out there, but what about Souray for Kovalev?

Only draw back is Ottawa gets a guy who when healthy has been able to put up offensive numbers, but defensively not the greatest. Also Kovalev is a FA after this year, and that is great for Edmonton, but SS has a few years left IIRC.

Two other guys who have been said to be available - Regehr and Staios. Sarich would be awesome too.

The question is: do we want that cap space in the summer for someone else? I think we probably do personally. With Gonchar, Karlsson and Kuba already on the roster, I think you're right in that the Sens would probably target a replacement for Volchenkov.

Personally, I'd like to see the 2nd line next season as Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson, which leaves Spezza with Regin and a question mark. Who knows if Butler can be a top guy in the NHL - although he'll be given opportunities for sure. Another guy is Hoffman, can he do it? Petersson is a couple of years away from NA hockey. The wildcard is Silfverberg who's playing some amazing hockey in the SEL, but he's likely a couple of years away as well.

So do the Sens trade for a sniper with a year or 2 left, go for Semin @ 6.5 per year, or hope one of the young kids can step up and score at this level?

14murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:43 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Carolina and Ottawa have a good relationship, try to re-acquire Gleason.

15murray to make changes to the roster? Empty Re: murray to make changes to the roster? Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:59 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:
OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators GM Bryan Murray is finding picking slim as he shops around for "a defenseman with some muscle", as he's been offered mostly expensive players. Garrioch noted there were 12 scouts from 12 different teams taking in Friday's Senators-Buffalo Sabres game. SPECTOR'S NOTE: Not surprising Murray's finding slim picking in the trade market, as most teams would likely want to dump their expensive mistakes.

it's garioch but i'm sure there were scouts a plenty.

And Spezza wasn't playing, so where does that leave that rumour?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 20]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum