GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks

+5
Riprock
PTFlea
jamvan
Cronie
shabbs
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
504Heater wrote:Brophy is bang on. What the hell is the world coming to!!? :D Gone are the days of the Sens being really, really skilled, but soft as silk, here are the days of the Sens having 3 or 4 very skilled guys and the rest demons who will check you into next week and 'accidentally' fall over you, making you fold in half (hey Crosby, you like the new look Sens? No? Didn't think so.)
How funny was it when Ruutu was tussling with Crosby on the ice and he kept "falling" on him when he was "trying" to get up. Holy crap that was funny. Yeah, he took a 2-min penalty for it but the look of frustration on Crosby's face was worth it. Love it, love it, love it!!!

He took a 2 minute penalty for the BS call for hitting the guy, then Crosby fell and Ruutu made him smell jock for like a minute - without even getting another call. LOL. The look on Crosby's face was priceless.

17Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I still think if we could land Bouwmeester that'd be awesome. Obviously I do not want to give up too much for him, which I realize would be required in order to land such a stud player...

18Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:56 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:I still think if we could land Bouwmeester that'd be awesome. Obviously I do not want to give up too much for him, which I realize would be required in order to land such a stud player...

Pick up someone at the deadline who's skilled at PP QBing to work with Lee and to man to the point with Kuba (VERY happy with Kuba BTW!), then in the summer make a full tilt push to sign Bouwmeester if he's still available.

We need to assess IMO the D that we have now. Jam's right, Picard is showing that he can play.

19Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

exactly! Huge props to Jam for calling Picard. I was skeptical at first, but both he and Kuba are surprising the hell out of me lately.

While some will say our D is lacking, or even porous, I don't completely agree. While a PMD and/or PP QB would be great, I think Hartsburg is working wonders with what he currently has.

It's funny, because right now, we could have NO skill or drive, but just the fact that these boys (thus far, I know, it's only 2 games) are playing FOR each other to me is a HUGE improvement already.

20Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:exactly! Huge props to Jam for calling Picard. I was skeptical at first, but both he and Kuba are surprising the hell out of me lately.

While some will say our D is lacking, or even porous, I don't completely agree. While a PMD and/or PP QB would be great, I think Hartsburg is working wonders with what he currently has.

It's funny, because right now, we could have NO skill or drive, but just the fact that these boys (thus far, I know, it's only 2 games) are playing FOR each other to me is a HUGE improvement already.

Diddle yeah! They're finally a team (so far..., but I really don't expect it to change).

Rooney was saying that this is Hartsburg's MO when he coached the juniors. Aggressive, angry PK with a crazy forecheck and backcheck. Just tenacious and vicious as Dung. And he's showing why he insisted on Kelly too!

21Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

504Heater wrote:
DashRiprock wrote:I still think if we could land Bouwmeester that'd be awesome. Obviously I do not want to give up too much for him, which I realize would be required in order to land such a stud player...

Pick up someone at the deadline who's skilled at PP QBing to work with Lee and to man to the point with Kuba (VERY happy with Kuba BTW!), then in the summer make a full tilt push to sign Bouwmeester if he's still available.

We need to assess IMO the D that we have now. Jam's right, Picard is showing that he can play.
Yeah, I like what I've seen with Picard so far... and most of his shots seem to be on the net, which is quite refreshing, sadly enough. The Sens have been notoriously bad at missing the net with their shots. What a difference fixing that alone could make.

22Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:06 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
504Heater wrote:

Yeah, I like what I've seen with Picard so far... and most of his shots seem to be on the net, which is quite refreshing, sadly enough. The Sens have had been notoriously bad at missing the net with their shots. What a difference fixing that alone could make.

Absolutely. No matter what happens, we certainly didn't lose that trade to Tampa for this year (and the cap space after that to either re-sign Kuba or go after someone who's better than Mez).

23Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Bouwmeester!!!!! :D

24Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Bouwmeester!!!!! :D

Precisely. :D

25Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I'm still going to stand by what I've said quite a few times this summer:

Brian Lee + 2009 First Round Pick + Ilya Zubov

for

Jay Bouwmeester

26Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:09 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Tampa (San Jose's) 1st round pick and deal.

27Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:22 pm

And make it Nikulin instead of Zubov and I would consider it.
Another issue that arises as a consequence of the new NHL is the cap hit.
With Alfie's salary slated to go up and with the cap expected to go down, a move like this would be fiscally irresponsible.

shabbs wrote:Yeah, I like what I've seen with Picard so far... and most of his shots seem to be on the net, which is quite refreshing, sadly enough. The Sens have been notoriously bad at missing the net with their shots. What a difference fixing that alone could make.
Imo Schubert appears to have worked on that over the summer and with nothing-but-shinpads-Meszaros gone and I-refuse-to-take-a-slapshot Redden gone, we should be much more likely to actually get some shots from the point through...

28Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:I'm still going to stand by what I've said quite a few times this summer:

for

Jay Bouwmeester

If Bouwmeester agrees to an extension (somewhere in the 6.5 million X 6 area), then I'd do this deal right now. Bouwmeester is probably going to top out at a little better than Lee and he's entering his prime, whereas Lee probably has 2+ years until he starts really hitting his stride and I want to have that big D-man for the summer of 2010 when we go goalie shopping.

Otherwise, I still think he gets to the UFA period - and I still think we get him.

Either way, I'd like to get my hands on him.

29Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 pm

504Heater wrote:
PKC wrote:I'm still going to stand by what I've said quite a few times this summer:

for

Jay Bouwmeester

If Bouwmeester agrees to an extension (somewhere in the 6.5 million X 6 area), then I'd do this deal right now. Bouwmeester is probably going to top out at a little better than Lee and he's entering his prime, whereas Lee probably has 2+ years until he starts really hitting his stride and I want to have that big D-man for the summer of 2010 when we go goalie shopping.

Otherwise, I still think he gets to the UFA period - and I still think we get him.

What is his cap hit?

If we fit him under I'd do it. If we have to make a secondary deal that isn't Gerber to the minors I'm out.

30Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

504Heater wrote:

And if you do that, which of the top-four do you move? Economy is melting down. The cap might actually shrink over the next couple seasons. Alfredsson will get (if we are lucky and he is generous) $6M with a front-end loaded contract. Add Bouwmeester and you've got half your payroll tied up in four players.

31Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:04 am

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
504Heater wrote:

And if you do that, which of the top-four do you move? Economy is melting down. The cap might actually shrink over the next couple seasons. Alfredsson will get (if we are lucky and he is generous) $6M with a front-end loaded contract. Add Bouwmeester and you've got half your payroll tied up in four players.

My choice to move a player would be Kelly, Vermette, or Fisher. If Fisher spends more time healing than playing and they well without him this year then moving his salary could go a long ways to signing Alfie to an extension and trying to pursue Bouwmeester next July. Thats of course he if he hasn't resigned by then. Moving Fisher could also bring us a better return than the other two but the challenge would be his NMC.

Now of course if Neil isnt traded this year then I hope he signs cheap so we could make a move to get that big D-man and goalie. Moving any one of the 3 mentioned would give the Sens a cap hit between 40 and 42.5 for next season with only 5 spots to fill and an extension to Alfie. 3 or 4 of those spots could be filled by the farm depending on how the kids do.

32Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks - Page 2 Empty Re: Brophy: Sens losing their "cute" looks Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:10 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
504Heater wrote:Brophy is bang on. What the hell is the world coming to!!? :D Gone are the days of the Sens being really, really skilled, but soft as silk, here are the days of the Sens having 3 or 4 very skilled guys and the rest demons who will check you into next week and 'accidentally' fall over you, making you fold in half (hey Crosby, you like the new look Sens? No? Didn't think so.)
How funny was it when Ruutu was tussling with Crosby on the ice and he kept "falling" on him when he was "trying" to get up. Holy crap that was funny. Yeah, he took a 2-min penalty for it but the look of frustration on Crosby's face was worth it. Love it, love it, love it!!!

I'd love to play the rubber series with the Pens this year... maybe in the conference finals this time, after we take Montreal out in the second round! LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum