GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confirmed (?) rumour -- Ottawa to host the 2012 All Star Game

+7
SensHulk
Devo
The Silfer Server
Cap'n Clutch
stempniaksen
PKC
wprager
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

stempniaksen

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
stempniaksen wrote:Didn't Toronto have the all-star game in 2011 or something like that. Maybe not that year, but sometime in the somewhat recent past?

For that reason alone I would put Ottawa as front runners.

Dude, what year do you think it is? Sarcasm

Seriously, though, Carolina got the 2011 game. Toronto last hosted it in 2000, but they also hosted it four of the first five years after it became an annual affair in '47, and another four times in the '60s. They haven't done much since the '60s.

Haha, that was meant to say 2001, clearly I was in no condition for hockey talk.

I think the fact they've hosted the game in the last decade will play against them though, even if they haven't hosted the game (other than that) in the last 40 odd years.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

Apparently this has been confirmed now. Maybe could change the title of the thread to reflect that.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

PKC wrote:Apparently this has been confirmed now. Maybe could change the title of the thread to reflect that.

Well, not exactly, but it's been picked up:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/AllStarGame/2010/09/06/15261346.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I sort of decided to limit my time here, but I couldn't resist posting once I sobered up from my long weekend on the boat.

On the boat with us were a couple of people who would know, and I can confirm it and tell you it's a lock. Next week Ottawa will be announced as the destination of the 2012 All Star game.

A little bit of concern was held whether the convention space would be ready in time, and that the off ice events were held down town, where the game was out in Kanata, but a brilliant pitch by the Sens group to show how spreading the events out around the city will help to allow more people experience the whole event rather than those out in the west end.

Needless to say, it's a done deal and should be a huge and well run event for Ottawa.

Devo

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks Devo! Good to know that Ottawa finally gets its shot as the host. Can't wait for the new convention centre to open up as well, looks pretty cool even in its construction.

BigRig

BigRig
Rookie
Rookie

stempniaksen wrote:As far as I know, part of the agreement in regards to Melnyk buying the team was that "we" would get 1 all-star game and 1 entry draft. So it would make sense that we got this event.

yup, I remember reading a few years ago that the only thing holding it up was our lack of convention centre space.
Since the new one's going to be finished by then, it all makes sense.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like it's 100% now.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/09/13/15333591.html

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice boost to revenue for the city.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:Nice boost to revenue for the city.

I plan on attending the whole weekend of festivities. Should be a damn good time.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I'll bring all the pictures I can to get some nice signatures Confirmed (?) rumour -- Ottawa to host the 2012 All Star Game - Page 2 54934

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

PKC wrote:Looks like it's 100% now.

Um, it was 100% last week...

Then again, I really don't expect anyone to believe some guy named Devo on a message board.

Go to go..last night out in London.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Devo wrote:

Then again, I really don't expect anyone to believe some guy named Devo on a message board.

100% means confirmed by the media. No offense Confirmed (?) rumour -- Ottawa to host the 2012 All Star Game - Page 2 54934

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

marakh wrote:
Devo wrote:

100% means confirmed by the media. No offense Confirmed (?) rumour -- Ottawa to host the 2012 All Star Game - Page 2 54934

None taken, I know as much as anyone that you earn respect and the ability to be a trusted source. I don't know players I just know some well to do people in the league office.

With that said, I also expect an announcement in the next 12 months about a unbelievable new score clock and entertainment system. Not Dallas Cowboys unbelievable, but if what I'm told is true, it will make the Air Canada Centre or Bell Centre look like a CRT tube.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Devo wrote:
marakh wrote:
Devo wrote:

None taken, I know as much as anyone that you earn respect and the ability to be a trusted source. I don't know players I just know some well to do people in the league office.

With that said, I also expect an announcement in the next 12 months about a unbelievable new score clock and entertainment system. Not Dallas Cowboys unbelievable, but if what I'm told is true, it will make the Air Canada Centre or Bell Centre look like a CRT tube.

Confirmed (?) rumour -- Ottawa to host the 2012 All Star Game - Page 2 805406

That has probably been brought up during the All Star game negociations.

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

That would be fantastic news, although I'm not dead set against the one we have like some are.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Hope they go a bit outside the box, i.e. most teams are going for the round hd ticker on the bottom and hd screens on top, so hopefully whatever the sens do trumps that design

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

stempniaksen wrote:That would be fantastic news, although I'm not dead set against the one we have like some are.

It wouldn't be half as bad if the music or entertainment was better at sbp. all anyone's got is to watch that scoreboard...oh and the game. Hence the nickname 'the library' that many players have given sbp

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Last post and then I'm done..being yelled at from all sides to put the BB down.

"They are looking at all variations of new Television technology including laser, and trying to incorporate 3D into the entertainment system"

I don't know how they could work 3D unless it was only in suites or small monitors on the backs of some of the seats for replays, intermission stuff.

Oh and one last tid bit. According a small fat bald man standing at the bar right now, he figures N.J. will appeal or fight the ruling that they "deliberately' circumvented the cap. The key is apparently the word deliberately as N.J. and Lou feels that they were only following what several other teams had done both that year and prior years, and the league allowed those deals to go through. The bald fat man (he's gonna be pissed when he reads that), stated that in a court of law the league would have to prove that N.J. set out to do what no other team had done thus far in circumventing the cap. That in his opinion is almost impossible and as a result the picks will likely be dropped and a fine will be the result.

I don't trust lawyers, but I do trust the bald fat man....that's for you Joshua.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum