GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

New tie-breaker rule to exclude SO wins?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New tie-breaker rule to exclude SO wins? Empty New tie-breaker rule to exclude SO wins? Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34825-Report-National-Hockey-League-to-change-regularseason-tiebreaker-rule.html

This is the first I'd heard of it. Interesting. If this is the tiny crack that leads to an overhaul of the scoring system you heard it here first Smile Get rid of the loser points or at least go to a 3-point game total (2 points for a non-regulation win).

Good. Shoot-outs wins (the extra point they provide) are the biggest reason that "parity" exists in the NHL. Thankfully a team with more real wins now will be rewarded instead of a team that hangs on for dear life to get into the shootout to get that extra point.

Shootouts, and the extra point they provide, are straight up garbage IMO.

Last edited by hemlock on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 am; edited 2 times in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

First there was the extra OT periods, now this. Makes you wonder if it's a trend or two random data points.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Do you guys realize we might re-sign Kovalev if this rule is approved New tie-breaker rule to exclude SO wins? 270956

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I would still love to go 4 on 4, 3 on 3, then 2 on 2 Smile

Big Ev wrote:I would still love to go 4 on 4, 3 on 3, then 2 on 2 Smile

That's just ridiculous! Imagine playing on back-to-back nights or on long road trips. Alebit, it would be kind of cool.

Why not:
Regulation win - 3 points
Regulation loss - 0 points

OT Win - 2 points
OT loss - 1 point

Shootout win 2 - points
Shootout loss - 1 point

This would make the end of regulation more entertaining instead of teams playing for the point. Also de-values shootout and OT wins while still crediting the losing team with some points.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Kovalfie wrote:
Big Ev wrote:I would still love to go 4 on 4, 3 on 3, then 2 on 2 Smile

That's just ridiculous! Imagine playing on back-to-back nights or on long road trips. Alebit, it would be kind of cool.

Why not:
Regulation win - 3 points
Regulation loss - 0 points

OT Win - 2 points
OT loss - 1 point

Shootout win 2 - points
Shootout loss - 1 point

This would make the end of regulation more entertaining instead of teams playing for the point. Also de-values shootout and OT wins while still crediting the losing team with some points.

Barring the return of the tie (why did the always compare it to "kissing your sister" -- sick bast*rds) I think the three-point game is the next logical choice. It's stupid how some games are three points and others are just 2. It artificially inflates bubble teams' point totals.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum