GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL looking at some rule changes

+2
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1NHL looking at some rule changes Empty NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Some of these are quite interesting. The one that stuck out to me was goalies likely being fair game if too "adventurous" with the puck when puck handling.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/08/02/nhl-set-to-experiment-with-some-rule-changes

2NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:59 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't like the hand pass idea, but otherwise, these all make sense. I like the refs being mic'ed for sure. Also like the bear hug idea.

3NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Love the goalies being fare game if wandering and stick handling... heh heh.

POW!!!!

4NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:20 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Did I read that right ? Why would they even think about bringing pack 2 line passes ??

5NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:21 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Don't mind the hand pass rule changes at all. You're still not allowed to close your hand on the puck. This would eliminate whistles when the guy jumps up in the air to bat it down only to have it go to a team mate instead of himself. A different take on the "slap pass".

I never could stand the trapezoid and I'll be glad to see it gone. One skate in the crease to freeze a puck is going to create more stupid replays. I hope they leave that one up to the ref's discretion and not be like the old skate in the crease fiasco.

Not sure about the goalies being fair game to forecheckers. They may be better protected but only from the impact by a small rubber disk, not a 200+ lb player traveling at 40 mph or more. All that bulky equipment only serves to make them far less mobile. Now, if they did away with the instigator, sure.

What's this about the red line? They want to re-introduce the red-line but nothing for no-touch icings?

6NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Did I read that right ? Why would they even think about bringing pack 2 line passes ??

I missed that...please no!

7NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:26 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:Did I read that right ? Why would they even think about bringing pack 2 line passes ??

Yeah, a "roll back" rule with the red line coming back into play. Not sure about that one. Trying to slow the game down? Head hits?

8NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:

I missed that...please no!

I agree. I didn't like that one either.

9NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Don't mind the hand pass rule changes at all. You're still not allowed to close your hand on the puck. This would eliminate whistles when the guy jumps up in the air to bat it down only to have it go to a team mate instead of himself. A different take on the "slap pass".

I never could stand the trapezoid and I'll be glad to see it gone. One skate in the crease to freeze a puck is going to create more stupid replays. I hope they leave that one up to the ref's discretion and not be like the old skate in the crease fiasco.

Not sure about the goalies being fair game to forecheckers. They may be better protected but only from the impact by a small rubber disk, not a 200+ lb player traveling at 40 mph or more. All that bulky equipment only serves to make them far less mobile. Now, if they did away with the instigator, sure.

What's this about the red line? They want to re-introduce the red-line but nothing for no-touch icings?

I think if your dumb enough to saunter out in that bulky equipment to chase down a puck and know you're fair game then to bad so sad.

10NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
I think if your dumb enough to saunter out in that bulky equipment to chase down a puck and know you're fair game then to bad so sad.

Still .. as if we need more goalie injuries in the NHL ....

11NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Don't mind the hand pass rule changes at all. You're still not allowed to close your hand on the puck. This would eliminate whistles when the guy jumps up in the air to bat it down only to have it go to a team mate instead of himself. A different take on the "slap pass".

You won't be saying that in February/March when the Leafs are done and we're fighting for a playoff spot and some Marily callup eager to make a name for himself runs through Anderson.

12NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:57 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

You won't be saying that in February/March when the Leafs are done and we're fighting for a playoff spot and some Marily callup eager to make a name for himself runs through Anderson.

Not really. The goalies will know and I'd happily drop in the standings for another lotto pick.

13NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I assume you mean 2-3 years from now?

14NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:19 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Need I remind you of the Colorado Avalanche the year before last? They were fairly similar to us - including one of the finalists for the Hart and Vezina, Craig Anderson.

All that to say...who the heck knows?

15NHL looking at some rule changes Empty Re: NHL looking at some rule changes Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I assume you mean 2-3 years from now?

Nope. I'll say it right now -- Florida and Philly have destroyed team chemistry in a big way. Buffalo as well, if to a lesser extent (you don't think the old-guard Sabres will feel a little resentment about some of those recent contracts given out to free agents?) I think Toronto is going to be disappointed with Reimer just like Washington was with Varlamov and Philly was with Bobrovsky -- having a good 37 game season when all pressure was off and nobody had the book on you is not the same as what he will face now. Boston got older, not necessarily better.

Look, I'm not saying we are magically better than any of those teams, but I think there are more opportunities to win a few more games here and there. And that's all it might take.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum