GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

If You Were an NHL Player, Where Would You Like to Play?

+8
sens4win
Ev
PTFlea
shabbs
M_Christopher
wprager
Straight Shooter
Tuk Tuk
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Had this discussion at work the other day, thought I'd see what others thought.

If you were an NHL player, where would be your choice to play? Assuming this is where you spent your entire career, and you're a star player, where do you play, and why?

Do you pick a big market, where you can be a superstar, or a smaller market, where you can play out your career, without the constant pressure and attention?

My personal choice would be Toronto or Montreal. Long histories, and the media attention and fans would appeal to me.

Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter
Rookie
Rookie

Good question and never really thought about it before. I would go with montreal. Going by your criteria, big market, big superstar. the city is amazing. the fans are passionate. The team is rich in history. That is my choice.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I love Montreal; I just wish it wasn't in Quebec. Definitely not Toronto -- I'd actually prefer a smaller city. Nothing wrong with playing somewhere warm Smile I used to play pick-up hockey at 10:30 PM with no-one watching, so Florida/Carolina -- places like that wouldn't bother me.

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Good question......(taking Ottawa out because of personal bias)

I think it would have to be Edmonton or Minnesota

Both have hockey-mad fans, and Minnesota is basically Canada Jr.

But most importantly after being in the Rextall place for multiple games during Edmonton's cinderella run and being there to experience the atmosphere of Game 3 and Game 4 against Carolina, the energy, emotion and overall atmosphere of the fanbase and arena, I would want to be apart of that year in and year out.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

An Original Six city... would be sweet. History, lore, fans... it's one thing for us to sit as fans and crap on other teams.. but to be a player, in the NHL... would be amazing... anywhere...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Chicago, Minnesota, Colorado come to mind immediately, with Colorado my front-runner.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Boston or Vancouver

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

i would like to play in Montreal, the fan base is amazing their, just a really great atmosphere, sad to say i have been to more Canadien's game then i have to Sens games, (kind of lucky when my uncle has season tickets.) Even putting personal bias aside i would love to play in ottawa, being able to play with alfie would just be amazing, but you just cant compare the fan base between Ottawa and Montreal.

Chicago, Vancouver, New York or Boston

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, St-Louis, Colorado, Minnesota

Would like to play in a city where hockey is a big draw, but not the biggest draw. I would like to have the attention on me about my on-ice abilities without worrying about anything else. Having other major sports in town takes the focus off of that.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

I would want to go to the team the drafts me as they want me. I would then work my bag off to try and be a pillar for the players, team, management, fans and community alike.

Everything else should fall into place.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

My Top 3:
Toronto - still big enough that you could hide a bit, no expectations
NYR - see above, though fan base is way tougher
Pittsburgh - going to be good for 15 years

My Bottom 3:
Edmonton - reasons are obvious
Vancouver - terrible travel
Florida - doesn't make the list if I'm single

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

No expectations in Toronto? You're crazy!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I don't think you can hide if you're a Leafs player. Maybe if you're Sonny Weems or some other lesser known Toronto Raptor, but not a Leaf.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Relative to a place like Ottawa, yes you can hide in Toronto. Expectations - there are zero for this franchise in the next 3-4 years. I think Toronto would give you the best of both worlds.

I almost put Ottawa on the list of 3 places that I wouldn't play.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum