GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Power Play Again

+4
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1No Power Play Again Empty No Power Play Again Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

Don't know if this deserves it's own thread but once again the Sens recieved no powerplay chance in the game last night.

Theres only 6 times in the ENTIRE NHL season that a team did not recieve a power play chance in a game.

Ottawa has THREE of them.

In a 30 team league do you know how statisticaly impossible that is?

The league needs to know the fans are watching this closely.

2No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Murray sent a letter to Gregson:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ottawa/2009/12/22/12242121-qmi.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

In the wake of Ottawa's 2-0
loss to the Boston Bruins Monday, Murray said he spoke with director of
officiating Terry Gregson this morning about the fact the Senators
didn't have one power play in the game. It's the third time this year
the Senators haven't had a man advantage.

"It's the first time in two years I've called the league," said
Murray. "I don't complain all the time. I just saw this game and it was
very obvious it wasn't a zero penalty game."

3No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:35 pm

111519 wrote:Don't know if this deserves it's own thread but once again the Sens recieved no powerplay chance in the game last night.

Theres only 6 times in the ENTIRE NHL season that a team did not recieve a power play chance in a game.

Ottawa has THREE of them.

In a 30 team league do you know how statisticaly impossible that is?

The league needs to know the fans are watching this closely.

The league doesn't care. I don't know how much more there is to say about this. Ottawa has fallen from grace and the refs are mostly from the GTA or MTL...this may have been statistically unlikely, but it definitely wasn't unimaginable.

4No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm

TSN has an article up:

SENS COACH CLOUSTON WONDERING WHY CLUB ISN'T GETTING CALLS

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators' power play has coach Cory Clouston scratching his head, and not just because it hasn't been very good this season.

After the Senators got through a game without receiving so much as a single power-play opportunity for the third time this year, Clouston was left wondering why his team can't seem to get some calls from the NHL's referees.

"I have no idea why, I honestly don't," he said Wednesday, hours after the Senators were shut out 2-0 at home by Boston in a game in which the Bruins enjoyed three man advantages to Ottawa's zero. "To me, it's a little disrespectful to the players because they are working hard, they are doing the things they should be doing (to draw penalties) and they come to the bench and they're just frustrated.

"They don't know why that wasn't a call or why it wasn't made. It's tough to know what to tell them."

The Senators also failed to draw any power-play chances against the Edmonton Oilers on Nov. 10 and the New Jersey Devils on Nov. 25. They've managed to win just one of those games, needing a shootout to beat the Oilers.

It's not like it's a case of home cooking in favour of the opposition, either. Two of those three games have been at Scotiabank Place. By comparison, Ottawa's opponents have never gotten through a game without at least one opportunity with the man advantage.

Over the entire 2008-'09 regular season, the Senators never played in a game without receiving at least one power play and on only one occasion did their opponents fail to earn a chance.

By comparison, the Bruins and the Pittsburgh Penguins, whom the Senators are on the road to face Wednesday, have yet to play in a game this year in which either team hasn't gone on the power play at least once.

Clouston said the Senators reviewed the footage from Tuesday's game and still can't figure out the lack of calls in favour of his team.

"Going over the game, probably four (chances) per team would have been right," he said. "They definitely missed one on us. ... But I think there were three or four opportunities for us to go on the power play.

"We can't do anything about it right now. We've just got to work harder and maybe try and draw more penalties next game."
Entering Tuesday's games, the Senators are the 24th most-penalized team, averaging 14.4 minutes per game. They've been shorthanded 151 times in 36 games, which was the 10th most in the league.

Meanwhile, they're 26th in the number of power-play chances received with 127 opportunities.

Only Calgary and Chicago, with 123 chances in 35 and 34 games, respectively, Boston, with 122 chances in 35 games, and Montreal, with 113 chances in 38 games, have gone on the power play less.
Senators general manager Bryan Murray brought the subject up with referee Kerry Fraser, the NHL's most senior on-ice official, following the Nov. 25 game at New Jersey. He was also on the Tuesday morning, when he said he called director of officiating Terry Gregson to voice his feelings.

When the subject was raised following the Devils game in late November, it was suggested that the Senators whined or complained too much from the bench and the tactic was working against them.

Clouston, whose team ranks only 25th in the NHL with a success rate of 16.5 per cent on the power play, suggests otherwise.
"I don't know if we've had an unsportsmanlike misconduct from chirping from the bench or from the players," he said. "If I was getting misconducts or showing up officials, then absolutely I would need to change my ways and that hasn't happened.

"Of course in the heat of the battle some things are said, but our team is not a disrespectful team. We're a team that goes out and works hard most nights. We're not a dirty team, so that has nothing to do with anything."

Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson was more diplomatic when asked if he felt Ottawa was being jobbed.

"Even if it was, and I'm not saying there is anything against us, I wouldn't say it," he said before the Senators left for Pittsburgh. "We just have to do a better job and do that extra effort to draw more penalties.

"I can't see that they would conspire against us. That doesn't make sense."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=303315

That bolded paragraph isn't right. We definitely had a game last year with no powerplays. It was against the Maple Leafs...they had 6, we had 0... I'm sure some of you remember it well No Power Play Again 395361

5No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:33 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually I went over the box-scores of all 6 games against the Leafs last season and there was at least one Leafs penalty in each one.

6No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:05 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Actually I went over the box-scores of all 6 games against the Leafs last season and there was at least one Leafs penalty in each one.

Na na na na na na na na na na na na STATS MAN!

POW! SWAT! ZORT! WAZAM!

- Unknown Author

7No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:52 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The refs grew up as hockey fans and their hometowns are paces like Mississauga, North York, Don Mills, Scarborough... You get the idea. I'm not even kidding.

8No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:04 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:The refs grew up as hockey fans and their hometowns are paces like Mississauga, North York, Don Mills, Scarborough... You get the idea. I'm not even kidding.

Why is it that it's so glaringly obvious this season as opposed to previous years then?

- Unknown Author

9No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The refs grew up as hockey fans and their hometowns are paces like Mississauga, North York, Don Mills, Scarborough... You get the idea. I'm not even kidding.

Why is it that it's so glaringly obvious this season as opposed to previous years then?

It's always been somewhat obvious. Jeremy Roenick just recently called the Refs Leafs fans. They get away with it so I guess they're emboldened that way. Heck, even the video reviews are crooked. No Power Play Again 235689 No Power Play Again 805406

I'm sure this formal complaint will only make things worse for the Senators.

10No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:23 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I personally think it's better than the year Shaefer did the towel waiving. That was the lowest of the low IMO.

Peter Schaefer Surre

11No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

SpezDispenser wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I personally think it's better than the year Shaefer did the towel waiving. That was the lowest of the low IMO.

No Power Play Again 404580
I still remember that, it was hilarious and brought attention to the situation. I am all for a Senator doing it again if we get a no call game.

As for video reviews, it always make me cringe when one of our plays/goals "are being looked at in Toronto" Something not quite right about that. Would sound better if it was being looked at in Winnipeg, or Saskatoon or anywhere but Toronto...

12No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

111519 wrote:I still remember that, it was hilarious and brought attention to the situation. I am all for a Senator doing it again if we get a no call game.

As for video reviews, it always make me cringe when one of our plays/goals "are being looked at in Toronto" Something not quite right about that. Would sound better if it was being looked at in Winnipeg, or Saskatoon or anywhere but Toronto...

I thought it was hilarious at the time, but boy, did we ever get reamed by the officials for the rest of the year. They just called everything against us.

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

13No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:44 pm

wprager wrote:Actually I went over the box-scores of all 6 games against the Leafs last season and there was at least one Leafs penalty in each one.

Is that right? Maybe it was one of those 19:59 of the 3rd penalties No Power Play Again 105237

Anyways, I was pretty sure we had one game with zero pps last season.

14No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Not that I care much for him but Mark Spector talks about the Sens lack of power plays....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/23/spector_nhl/

15No Power Play Again Empty Re: No Power Play Again Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:11 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hobiesens wrote:Not that I care much for him but Mark Spector talks about the Sens lack of power plays....

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/23/spector_nhl/
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/12/23/spector_nhl/[/quote[/url]]

Nice of that turkey to show up just before Christmas with this excuse for a column.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum