GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Power Plays

+4
Ev
shabbs
rooneypoo
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Power Plays Empty Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:18 am

Sophomore
Sophomore

Once again Toronto recieved the most power play oppurtunities this season. It is disgusting that year after year they are always one of the top teams for PP chances and everyone is just to believe there is no bias.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=roadAdvantages&viewName=powerPlay
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=advantages&viewName=powerPlay

I wonder if some of our players would have liked the 75 extra PP chances Toronto got. That is a HUGE difference for players to improve their numbers!!!

2Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:59 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

111519 wrote:Once again Toronto recieved the most power play oppurtunities this season. It is disgusting that year after year they are always one of the top teams for PP chances and everyone is just to believe there is no bias.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=roadAdvantages&viewName=powerPlay
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=advantages&viewName=powerPlay

I wonder if some of our players would have liked the 75 extra PP chances Toronto got. That is a HUGE difference for players to improve their numbers!!!

Still, interestingly, there doesn't seem to be much by way of correlation between a team's placement in the standings and the # of PP it draws. Look how far down WAS is, or how high up EDM is. Or how all the top three teams listed there are all borderline playoff teams occupying the 7-10 positions in the conferences (TOR, CGY, CAR), or the bottom three teams are all playoff teams (WAS, BOS, NSH).

I admit that TOR being up at the top year after year is more than suspicious, but it's hard to chart out any consistent patterns here. If anything, it seems to be showing how arbitrary the whole thing is.

Wait a minute.... the numbers you're showing are only for road games... the home games show a very different picture, with TOR sitting at 13th. For all games, the picture is different yet again, with TOR in the top 3, alongside TB and CAR: http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLAAAAll&sort=advantages&viewName=powerPlay

3Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:23 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What do they consider an opportunity though? Does a 10 second span of a man advantage count?

4Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

111519 wrote:Once again Toronto recieved the most power play oppurtunities this season. It is disgusting that year after year they are always one of the top teams for PP chances and everyone is just to believe there is no bias.

If the Sens had more speed at the beginning of the year we would have more PP chances. Toronto is a fast team and they move their feet which = more PPs.

5Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:What do they consider an opportunity though? Does a 10 second span of a man advantage count?
Ya, I'm sure that they're compiling any PP opportunities. That would include 1 second spans of man advantage.

6Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

spader wrote:
shabbs wrote:What do they consider an opportunity though? Does a 10 second span of a man advantage count?
Ya, I'm sure that they're compiling any PP opportunities. That would include 1 second spans of man advantage.

I think it has to be 1 minute or more (unless they score, of course). Personally, I think they should normalize to the actual time on the PP, like they do with GAA. So take the total number of PP ice time, divide by 120 seconds, and that's the normalized PP opportunities. Divide the number of goals scored by the normalized PP opportunities and you have a true measure of how effective the PP is. So a team that scores quicker on the PP will get a higher percentage than one that takes the full two minute. Yes, you could potentially have a team with over 100% PP efficiency. So what.

7Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Sophomore
Sophomore

side note

Heatley 26 goals this year.

Discuss

8Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Big Ev wrote:
If the Sens had more speed at the beginning of the year we would have more PP chances. Toronto is a fast team and they move their feet which = more PPs.
Bingo. The Sens have been so freakin' slow for the past couple of years.

9Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

111519 wrote:side note

Heatley 26 goals this year.

Discuss

Butler has 10 in 36, that's a 23-goal pace... as a call up ... and you have $6.5M left in the bank. Discuss.

10Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:00 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

63 pts for Heatley. Not great, but not terrible. Gotta see how he does in the playoffs before we pass judgement on him.

I was actually going to post about how Butler kind of reminds me of Heatley playing with Spezza, although BB I think has a little more zip, but not AS good a shot (still, a pretty quick shot, to be sure). Butler just seem to have that skill of finding the open ice, and being in the right spot at the right time (exhibit A: his goal today).

11Power Plays Empty Re: Power Plays Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:03 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:63 pts for Heatley. Not great, but not terrible. Gotta see how he does in the playoffs before we pass judgement on him.

I was actually going to post about how Butler kind of reminds me of Heatley playing with Spezza, although BB I think has a little more zip, but not AS good a shot (still, a pretty quick shot, to be sure). Butler just seem to have that skill of finding the open ice, and being in the right spot at the right time (exhibit A: his goal today).

I'd rather pass wind on him. He's a goal scorer and he's been on a steady decline since that shoulder injury. If he wasn't such a db and that big salary, I'd actually feel sorry for him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum