GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators off-season talk

+29
rooneypoo
Urkie
The Montagoose
Devo
Sens4thecup
asq2
ddt
TeamRenzo
Hockeyhero22000
Phoenix30
PKC
SensGirl11
LeCaptain
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
Hoags
Bramlet07
Flo The Action
SensGal
SensHulk
SDH89
Tuk Tuk
Ev
wprager
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
33 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

31Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Michallica wrote:realistically, I think in order to keep both Sutton and Cullen, we gotta give up on some RFAs....Winchester & Foligno? These are young power forwards, so my guess is that Sutton will be gone considering how Murray would like to transition to a young D-core. Cheechoo will be bought out for sure, but I think the sens make an attempt at free agency splash come summer of 2011, when all of Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire come off the shelf. There's literally zero chance for the sens to sign someone this summer unless a big ticket is traded (spezza and/or kovalev, which won't happen).

I think the sens will find a way to keep Zach Smith on the roster, but Butler will be the AHL call-up all year long (a la Tyler Bozak). Winchester, Foligno, Lee, and Shannon could be trade bait.

This will be a solid team if both Sutton and Cullen are retained, but my guess (as well as others) is that cullen signs and Sutton leaves

Couldn't agree more. I actually forgot about Butler. There's not a lot of room on the Sens starting roster unless a trade is made and it's likely going to be money for money, RFA for RFA.

32Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 pm

SensGal

Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Nice assessment, but I disagree with the Cullen comments. It sounds, to me, like he's willing to take the same or similar money on a 3 or 4 year deal. The end of his deal puts him at Alfie age which is fine by me. I also don't think Z. Smith or "someone else" can fill the hole Cullen would leave personally. It wouldn't surprise me if Cullen isn't re-signed but I wouldn't be so quick to shrug it off as not a concern.

I would love to keep Cullen, and he did say in an interview he was willing to take less money for a 4 year deal. I say do it up! Apparently even his wife wants to go up to Canada so she can have an ice rink in the back yard for their boys. lol.

I say keep him if he wants less. That would be great!

33Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Michallica wrote:realistically, I think in order to keep both Sutton and Cullen, we gotta give up on some RFAs....Winchester & Foligno? These are young power forwards, so my guess is that Sutton will be gone considering how Murray would like to transition to a young D-core. Cheechoo will be bought out for sure, but I think the sens make an attempt at free agency splash come summer of 2011, when all of Ruutu, Kovalev, and Leclaire come off the shelf. There's literally zero chance for the sens to sign someone this summer unless a big ticket is traded (spezza and/or kovalev, which won't happen).

I think the sens will find a way to keep Zach Smith on the roster, but Butler will be the AHL call-up all year long (a la Tyler Bozak). Winchester, Foligno, Lee, and Shannon could be trade bait.

This will be a solid team if both Sutton and Cullen are retained, but my guess (as well as others) is that cullen signs and Sutton leaves

I think the guy going in Foligno. Winchester is a Murray signing and it wouldnt look good trading a guy that a ton of teams were after 2 years after the fact. Foligno will also be making a lot more based on his number. Add on top of that he isnt a Murray draft pick and he did fall down to the 4th line a number of times this year, he also has more trade value then Winchester.

Smith will be in Ottawa next year, 100%. I would guess Butler is too, no subsititue for speed. He looked good in his first 2 NHL games for sure.

I think they will sign Cullen at all costs. He's a guy you want around your team, he takes a lot of pressure off the top end guys and is fantastic in the room by everything that has been said. Also, a big game player.

34Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 12:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The latest from senschirp.ca

Had a chance to exchange emails with a contact the other day and he mentioned a couple of prospects and what the plan is for each.

He first mentioned Swiss prospect Roman Wick. He was offered a contract last week and they hope to bring him over the North America next season. Wick is a guy the Senators like a lot but feel he may not be physical ready to compete in the NHL. They hope Wick will come over and play a season in the AHL.

While it shouldn't be an issue, there is no word on whether or not Wick has accepted that contract just yet.

Jared Cowen, Patrick Wiercioch and Robin Lehner are all expected to see time in the AHL. Cowen and Wiercioch will both have to have great camps to crack the roster but they expect that all three guys could see time in the NHL this season.

Sounds like they think Wiercioch is a little closer to cracking the big club than Cowen.

This same email mentioned that Andy Sutton is unlikely to return and he put Cullen at about 50/50.

35Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Don't worry about Sutton, there are plenty of Sutton style players. Sign Cullen dammit!

36Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Someone explain to me how Jared Cowen can play in the AHL. I've done the research and it's not within the rules. Is there an exception?

37Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:10 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Someone explain to me how Jared Cowen can play in the AHL. I've done the research and it's not within the rules. Is there an exception?

Chirp acknowledges that Cowen might not be eligible. Good, I say. We don't need him bad enough to jeopardize his development.

38Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:13 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Someone explain to me how Jared Cowen can play in the AHL. I've done the research and it's not within the rules. Is there an exception?

Chirp acknowledges that Cowen might not be eligible. Good, I say. We don't need him bad enough to jeopardize his development.

That's a shame though, because the AHL would be nice for him to learn. Back to the W for you Cowen, unless you have a summer of champions.

39Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

I think this is the AHL elibility rules:

1) You have to be 20 years old by December 31st of a given season to be eligible to play in the league. You'll see a few 19-year olds on Opening night rosters, but they will turn 20 before New Years Eve, UNLESS:

(a) You grew up in Europe and your rights are not owned by a major junior team

(b) You spent a year in college before turning pro.

40Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 1:43 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

This doesn't answer the above question, but has some useful or at least interesting information re: AHL - http://www.phpa.com/en/content/home/about/ahl-collective-bargaining-agreement/

41Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 7:42 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:The latest from senschirp.ca

Had a chance to exchange emails with a contact the other day and he mentioned a couple of prospects and what the plan is for each.

He first mentioned Swiss prospect Roman Wick. He was offered a contract last week and they hope to bring him over the North America next season. Wick is a guy the Senators like a lot but feel he may not be physical ready to compete in the NHL. They hope Wick will come over and play a season in the AHL.

While it shouldn't be an issue, there is no word on whether or not Wick has accepted that contract just yet.

Jared Cowen, Patrick Wiercioch and Robin Lehner are all expected to see time in the AHL. Cowen and Wiercioch will both have to have great camps to crack the roster but they expect that all three guys could see time in the NHL this season.

Sounds like they think Wiercioch is a little closer to cracking the big club than Cowen.

This same email mentioned that Andy Sutton is unlikely to return and he put Cullen at about 50/50.
from all the talk it does sound like wiercioch is closer then cowen to making the team. i wasn't impressed by cowen's game late this season with the big club. he looked slow and uncertain. i drummed it up to 1st game jitters. still i expect at least one of our young D-man to make the jump sometime this season and stick with the club.

42Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 pm

That and he is still recovering from his knee injury. That put him back 2 or 3 years in all honesty but once he is good to go he will be a force to say the least. Probably play close to 240lbs too.

43Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 8:25 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Dash wrote:I think this is the AHL elibility rules:

1) You have to be 20 years old by December 31st of a given season to be eligible to play in the league. You'll see a few 19-year olds on Opening night rosters, but they will turn 20 before New Years Eve, UNLESS:

(a) You grew up in Europe and your rights are not owned by a major junior team

(b) You spent a year in college before turning pro.

Or you spent 3 seasons in the WHL. And he spent 2 seasons, but his first season he only played 6 games. In order to be eligible for the AHL, he would have had to play 25 games, which constitutes a full season.

That was how it was explained to me.

44Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:That and he is still recovering from his knee injury. That put him back 2 or 3 years in all honesty but once he is good to go he will be a force to say the least. Probably play close to 240lbs too.

Yeah, this summer is also really, really important for both guys, but most importantly Cowen. He needs to be prepared for a brutal summer at SBP with the Ottawa conditioning staff. If he can do it, he'll go back to the W and absolutely dominate that league, then have a legit shot at being a Sen next year.

It's a big summer for him and Wiercioch. It's already started too, so he should be firmly entrenched in his work schedule.

45Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm

Like Ive said before, I think the rookie the is the most physically and mentally ready is Gryba, that and there is a major need for him if Ottawa doesnt go out and get that defensive D man to play with Phillips. Wiercoich and Cowen are both behind this guy in line IMO and Brian Lee just get shoved to the back by all 3 of em.

46Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 8:43 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

How can you possibly bank on Eric Gryba playing with Chris Phillips? We're talking about 20 minutes a night against the top lines in the NHL. He'll be eaten alive, am I wrong?

Gryba's a great piece, very important to us, but if anything happens, I would see him as a guy to play with Kuba/Campbell, while Karlsson moves up with Phillips.

But, bottom line, we have to find someone to play 20+ minutes a night as a quasi-shutdown guy with Phillips. Or go the other way and get a veteran who can play huge minutes and is an offensive D-man.

Also, the lack of right-handed D-men who can play 20+ minutes is killing us. Or guys who can play on the right side anyway, this is a major concern for us. Major. To the point where I'd say drop whatever Z.Michalek wants. He's the only righty out there who fits our needs (I guess Kubina as well).

Unless people think Gryba or Lee is up to the task...

47Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 9:09 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:How can you possibly bank on Eric Gryba playing with Chris Phillips? We're talking about 20 minutes a night against the top lines in the NHL. He'll be eaten alive, am I wrong?

Gryba's a great piece, very important to us, but if anything happens, I would see him as a guy to play with Kuba/Campbell, while Karlsson moves up with Phillips.

But, bottom line, we have to find someone to play 20+ minutes a night as a quasi-shutdown guy with Phillips. Or go the other way and get a veteran who can play huge minutes and is an offensive D-man.

Also, the lack of right-handed D-men who can play 20+ minutes is killing us. Or guys who can play on the right side anyway, this is a major concern for us. Major. To the point where I'd say drop whatever Z.Michalek wants. He's the only righty out there who fits our needs (I guess Kubina as well).

Unless people think Gryba or Lee is up to the task...

I think you are because he is the type of player that will keep things simple and use his assets to best serve the team. There will be a learning curve but unless that defensive role is going to be filled via Z.Michalek and for under 4 mil a season, Gryba is going to be playing that right side, well him or Lee and I dont think Lee even makes it past the draft.

You look at guys coming into the league that have played a ton of mins, it isnt a rarity. Gryba is mature, developed, and is pretty much what Ottawa is looking for to play beside Phillips.

Im just saying if Murray doesnt get that RH shot to play with Phillips, it will be Gryba. He is def more ready then the other two and personally, based on what I have seen, read, and hear out of people mouths including Murray, he will challenge for a spot. Lee has absolutely no place on the team because they have their RH offensive D (Karlsson) and thir RH shut down, mean and nasty D (Gryba) and the bottom pairing (Carkner).

The only conversation that should be had about Lee is how many draft positions can he move Ottawa up or is he worth a 3rd or a 4th. My guess is 2 or 3 positions. Hopefully MTL wins so we can use that albino ferry to move into 13th or 14th.

48Ottawa Senators off-season talk - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Mon May 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

kinda sad, 2006 Lee, 2007 foligno, 2008 o'brien... 3 years of first round picks and these are some of the names we are hoping we can trade by draft day... can we get another Hossa please?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum