GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators off-season talk

+29
rooneypoo
Urkie
The Montagoose
Devo
Sens4thecup
asq2
ddt
TeamRenzo
Hockeyhero22000
Phoenix30
PKC
SensGirl11
LeCaptain
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
Hoags
Bramlet07
Flo The Action
SensGal
SensHulk
SDH89
Tuk Tuk
Ev
wprager
PTFlea
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Riprock
33 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

1Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

After taking the Penguins to 6 games, and coming close to upsetting the reigning champs, the Sens find themselves with an early exit yet again. We can be proud of what they did while I'm sure many will hang on the what if's.

This summer, Bryan Murray and the Sens organization face some "challenges".

With the injuries to Michalek and Kovalev in the playoffs, it gave way to the emergence of Peter "The Great". It might be a little too early to label him a bonafide top line player, but he certainly made it tough to argue. And pwerforward Zack Smith looks to have played himself into the line-up in an 11/12 role.

It's safe to say both Michalek and Kovalev will be back in the lineup, pretty much guaranteed, barring a trade of course. That would mean those spots would have to come from someone else's demise.

Here is what the Sens free agent situation looks like:

Ottawa Senators off-season talk Sens_u10

Ottawa Senators off-season talk Sens_r10

For the RFA's, the guys that surely will be back with the Sens big team next year are Regin, Foligno, Winchester and Campoli. And of those three, Regin, Foligno and Campoli will likely see raises around the $1-million mark. Winchester will probably get a small raise to the $700K-800K mark. Cody Bass had made this team on two separate occasions but lost his role to injuries. He was Bingo's best defensive forward. Ilya Zubov's been wanting out of Ottawa for a long time due to his displeasure from not making the team. Kinrade and Kudelka are AHLers and I can see Kinrade being there next year, but Kudelka might get more money playing in Europe.

As for the UFA's, two were brought in to help the team in the playoffs and each cost at least a 2nd round pick. You kind of hate to see rental players walk when you give up a 2nd round pick which could become anything. If sutton is not resigned, the Senators will likely allow a rookie defenceman to try to earn that spot, or use that money to go out and try to sign a big time free agent.

Anton Volchenkov, one of the most beloved Senator and a true heart and soul player, might finally see his tenure in Ottawa come to an end, but at his own doing, by pricing himself out. As much as he is loved, he is not worth $4M, let alone even $3-3.5-million.

Matt Cullen I'd rather not get into - he's not young, he very well might want as much as or more than he is making, which scares me, and his spot could go to Zack Smith or someone else.

Sean Donovan looks like he is done in Ottawa and maybe done in the NHL. Injuries have caught up to him, and other than a 13th or greater forward, he's got no spot on the team.

Mike Brodeur played very well for Ottawa on an emergency basis and is probably the most likely to be re-signed between him and Chiodo, with Robin Lehner as the other goalie in Bingo.

Derek Smith is 25 and at this point probably wants to see what he can do. He's played really well for Binghamton and might want to explore other options.

Drew Bannister and Jeremy Yablonski are pluggers. Yablonski is a pure enforcer and there are probably better players that can do what he does.

Hennessy, also 25, has not shown he can be an NHL player, at least not in Ottawa, and he might want to see if he can get a n NHL job elsewhere.

Ryan Keller, team leader in goals (34) and Martin St. Pierre, team leader in assists and points (47 & 71), might also look to use their success in the AHL to earn a job elsewhere, but would be great to have back in the AHL.

2Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nice assessment, but I disagree with the Cullen comments. It sounds, to me, like he's willing to take the same or similar money on a 3 or 4 year deal. The end of his deal puts him at Alfie age which is fine by me. I also don't think Z. Smith or "someone else" can fill the hole Cullen would leave personally. It wouldn't surprise me if Cullen isn't re-signed but I wouldn't be so quick to shrug it off as not a concern.

- Unknown Author

3Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am

Yablonski is a pure enforcer and there are probably better players that can do what he does.

uh.. have you seen him fight... not many better

4Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Not the fighting part, but the hockey part. Carkner can fight, Neil can fight, Bass can fight, Smith can fight. Hell Ruutu, Donovan fight. I think everyone on the Sens has fought at one time. I was just saying you don't need a guy like that.

I knew someone would disagree with Cullen. I wasn't saying Smith would replace everything Cullen brings, but that there wouldn't be a spot for Smith if Cullen is around.

Michalek-Spezza-Kovalev
???-Fisher-Alfredsson
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Smith-???-???

Ok, so without factoring in Regin, Winchester, Foligno or Cullen, or a guy like Butler or another rookie, there's one spot remaining.

And on defence:

??? - Phillips
Kuba-Karlsson
??? - Carkner

Two spots to fill with either Volchenkov (UFA), Sutton (UFA), Campoli (RFA) or Cowen/Wiercioch/Gryba.

Leclaire
Elliott

Last edited by Dash on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

5Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:10 am

Dash wrote:Not the fighting part, but the hockey part. Carkner can fight, Neil can fight, Bass can fight, Smith can fight. Hell Ruutu, Donovan fight. I think everyone on the Sens has fought at one time. I was just saying you don't need a guy like that.

I knew someone would disagree with Cullen. I wasn't saying Smith would replace everything Cullen brings, but that there wouldn't be a spot for Smith if Cullen is around.

Michalek-Spezza-Kovalev
Regin-Fisher-Alfredsson
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Smith-Winchester-???

Ok, so without factoring in Foligno or Cullen, or a guy like Butler or another rookie, there's one spot remaining.

And on defence:

??? - Phillips
Kuba-Karlsson
??? - Carkner

Two spots to fill with either Volchenkov (UFA), Sutton (UFA), Campoli (RFA) or Cowen/Wiercioch/Gryba.

Leclaire
Elliott

I think Regin and Spezza will be staying together.

6Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:13 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Regardless, for the sake of showing our signed players, that is what the team potentially looks like.

My bad, not even. Take Winchester out too cause he's a RFA. Oh same with Regin. I changed it.

7Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:16 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Quite frankly, if Cullen is re-signed I'm pretty happy that we have enough depth to have guys like Z. Smith, Bass and Butler waiting for a chance to crack the lineup.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume we re-sign Campoli, Regin and Foligno and most likely Winchester as well.

Michalek-Spezza-Regin
Cullen-Fisher-Alfredsson
Foligno-Winchester-Kovalev
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil
Butler

And on defence:

??? - Phillips
Kuba-Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner
Lee

I assume A-Train is as good as gone and sadly Sutton too. Therefore, depending on what Murray wants (chances are high it's a Defensive D man after losing A-Train AND Sutton) then we may see one of Gryba, Weircioch or Cowen fill that final D man spot. Realistically Lee is the 7th D man at best on this team.

Leclaire
Elliott[/quote]

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

8Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:18 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

That I can live with. Cullen will equal as much as or more than Foligno and Regin combined, possibly even Campoli included as well.

9Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:22 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not sure if the team cap can be worked out to do this but I'd still like to see Sutton re-signed as well and have Lee, Cowen, Weircioch and Gryba as depth D with one of Gryba, Lee or Weircioch able to step in as injury replacements on D and Z. Smith, Butler and Bass able to come up on the forward side of things.

- Unknown Author

10Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:26 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Here's what I'd like to see.

Michalek - Spezza - Regin
Kovalev - Cullen - Alfredsson
Foligno - Fisher - Winchester
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Butler

Phillips - Kuba
Sutton - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

- Unknown Author

11Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Here's what I'd like to see.

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Butler

Phillips - Kuba
Sutton - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Close. Wink

Regin - Spezza - Alfredsson (We already know this works)

Michalek - Cullen - Kovalev (Definitely an experiment but looks powerful good on paper, Kovalev is best on the right)

Foligno - Fisher - Winchester (Could be a devastating line physically and dangerous on offense as well)

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil (As they say in the "hood", DAY-UM!!!)

Butler (Bobby Butler is an amusing name)

Phillips - Campoli
Sutton - Karlsson
Gryba - Carkner

12Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Butler

Phillips - Kuba
Sutton - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Close. Wink

Michalek - Cullen - Kovalev (Definitely an experiment but looks powerful good on paper, Kovalev is best on the right)

Foligno - Fisher - Winchester (Could be a devastating line physically and dangerous on offense as well)

Phillips - Campoli
Sutton - Karlsson
Gryba - Carkner

Are you just giving Kuba away or do we get something for him? Sarcasm

- Unknown Author

13Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Butler

Phillips - Kuba
Sutton - Karlsson
Campoli - Carkner

Close. Ottawa Senators off-season talk Icon_wink

Phillips - Campoli
Sutton - Karlsson
Gryba - Carkner

Are you just giving Kuba away or do we get something for him? Ottawa Senators off-season talk 159628

Yikes! No wonder you had Campoli on the bottom pairing... Too many good D in Ottawa? Ottawa Senators off-season talk 159628

Hanging on to Cullen and Sutton and adding healthy bodies just makes this an outstanding team.

14Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:49 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I like the Campoli Carkner pairing and would give Campoli first unit PP time with Karlsson personally. That right there should boost his minutes. I'm not ready to hand Campoli the number 1 D job just yet.

- Unknown Author

15Ottawa Senators off-season talk Empty Re: Ottawa Senators off-season talk Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I like the Campoli Carkner pairing and would give Campoli first unit PP time with Karlsson personally. That right there should boost his minutes. I'm not ready to hand Campoli the number 1 D job just yet.

I think Campoli is a 3, at best, but I also think he's a better number 1 than Kuba would be. We shall see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum