GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

All Playoff talk all the time.

+29
smash88
dennycrane
Bramlet07
asq2
M_Christopher
beerandsens
ddt
SeawaySensFan
Devo
stempniaksen
Hobiesens
SensHulk
Flo The Action
PKC
Tuk Tuk
Hoags
Riprock
caissie_1
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
SensGal
Ev
sens4win
Hockeyhero22000
wprager
PTFlea
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
SensGirl11
33 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 67]

1All Playoff talk all the time. Empty All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:14 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I'm not sure if there is a thread like this already, if there is, feel free to delete this one and bump the other one up.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to talk about all matchups, everything happening in the playoffs this year etc..

First off, it was the night of upsets.

Sens defeat the Pens 5-4
Philly defeat the Devils 2-1
Colorado defeat the Sharks 2-1
Phoenix defeat the Wings 3-2

2All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Now how's that for Game 1 around the league? Wow! I must say, I was stunned when I saw that Colorado beat the Sharks, that was the most shocking one to me by far. Pavelski is the only one that got a goal in that game.

Phoenix beating Detroit was not too much of a shocker, but still somewhat surprising.

Philly over the Devils definitely was another shock, I'm very surprised that Boucher was able to outplay Brodeur.

Sens defeating the Pens was full of palpitations and anxiety for the fans I'm sure, but the players seemed very focused for the most part, I hope that they can keep it up. Pittsburgh seemed very tired in that one. I'm expecting a serious push back by the Pens in game 2.

3All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:21 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's shaping up to be a first round full of upsets.

Ottawa, Philly, Phoenix, Boston, Phoenix and maybe even Colorado could all see round two action.

- Unknown Author

4All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It's shaping up to be a first round full of upsets.

Ottawa, Philly, Phoenix, Boston, Phoenix and maybe even Colorado could all see round two action.

It's shaping up to look that way at the moment, but we can't forget that it is only game 1. If all teams mentioned can win both games on their home ice, it will get very very serious and much tougher on the opposition to come back. I can't wait to see what happens, I'm very surprised that last night went the way it did.

5All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:38 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:It's shaping up to be a first round full of upsets.

It's shaping up to look that way at the moment, but we can't forget that it is only game 1. If all teams mentioned can win both games on their home ice, it will get very very serious and much tougher on the opposition to come back. I can't wait to see what happens, I'm very surprised that last night went the way it did.

Philly's not a huge surprise as it seems they have the Devil's number this season. Also as much heat as Boucher takes he's played solidly of late. Colorado was a shocker but given the way San Jose's stars disappeared down the stretch and their playoff history I shouldn't have been surprised. Phoenix, despite most people picking Detroit, is not a surprise for me. This one will be a long series with the way the Coyotes have played all season with Tippet at the helm. Don't forget that Jimmy Howard is no world beater either. As for Ottawa I'm not shocked as I had them to win in 6 games.

- Unknown Author

6All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:42 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Avs got a lucky bounce off Rob Blake's foot to get the winning goal... with 50 seconds to go... would love for them to take Game 2 as well. Mass panic in San Jose will erupt...

7All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:43 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Avs got a lucky bounce off Rob Blake's foot to get the winning goal... with 50 seconds to go... would love for them to take Game 2 as well. Mass panic in San Jose will erupt...

Much like Kelly's lucky bounce? I think the Avs holding SJ to one goal is the bigger story here don't you?

- Unknown Author

8All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:Avs got a lucky bounce off Rob Blake's foot to get the winning goal... with 50 seconds to go... would love for them to take Game 2 as well. Mass panic in San Jose will erupt...

Much like Kelly's lucky bounce? I think the Avs holding SJ to one goal is the bigger story here don't you?
Indeed... but it sounds like the Sharks floated around all night, didn't hit and played with no heart...

Heatley says what?

Reap the whirlwind mother Diddler.

9All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:50 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Indeed... but it sounds like the Sharks floated around all night, didn't hit and played with no heart...

Heatley says what?

Reap the whirlwind mother Diddler.

He'll reap nothing in SJ. He'll have to talk to the one beat writer then go sun himself while his entourage hand him his Pina Colada and squirt sunscreen on his nose.

- Unknown Author

10All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

PITTSBURGH — The temperature was set at the morning skates.

“It takes a period and you already hate the other guys,” Penguins pest Maxime Talbot said of the NHL’s post-season tournament. “It’s awesome. If you don’t have it in the first game of a playoffs, you learn to hate them pretty quick. You know it can go to seven games, so it’s important to leave a message.”

Down the hall in the Senators dressing room a short while later, Matt “Big Country” Carkner was succinct with a similar message.

“I hate every one of them,” he said of the Penguins.

Hours later, there was a lot of love in and around the visitors dressing room as a jovial group of Senators picked up what they wanted to in this week’s trip to Pittsburgh — a win over the defending Cup champions.

They’ll shoot for a second on Friday, but if they don’t get it, at least they’ve stolen home-ice advantage away from the Penguins.

Giving the Senators a lead they would never relinquish in Game 1 was a guy who inflicts more hate — both with his fists and his bone-rattling hits — than any of his teammates: Chris Neil.

It was with a sniper’s eye that the franchise’s all-time PIMs leader scored on a great, top-shelf shot at 14:08 of the first period.

Was it the nicest goal of his career? Neil swatted away such a question.

“It doesn’t matter about me out there, it’s about the team,” he said. “And we won (Wednesday), so that’s the main thing.

“If we would have lost that one, it would have been heartbreaking.”

Indeed, had they let the Penguins come back after controlling of Game 1, the Senators would have hated themselves in the morning.

Starts and stops

CJOH sports director Terry Marcotte was one hour from completing the long drive to Pittsburgh Tuesday when he received a call from home telling him he forgot his luggage. Terry scored a good deal here on six new pairs of underwear, but “they feel weird,” he said. Something to think about if you see him making funny faces during his sportscast ... Thirteen was an unlucky number for Peter Regin in his first NHL playoff game. He took a penalty in the first, and 13 seconds later Evgeni Malkin scored. He took a penalty in the second, and 13 seconds later Malkin scored again. In between, at least he scored his first NHL goal ... Regin completed his hat trick of penalties in the third, but Malkin could not take advantage ... The Senators’ game plan was to come out hitting, but it was the Penguins who were the more physical squad in the first, with Chris Campoli receiving a couple of the roughest rides. Unshaken, Campoli masterfully set up Chris Kelly in the second, as he clearly aimed for the portion of the end glass the puck hit before bouncing out in front, with Marc-Andre Fleury caught trying to field it along the end boards.

BETWEEN PERIODS

It’s the third period and the Senators are up 4-2. Sidney Crosby has two assists, on power plays, but not even one shot on goal. All of a sudden Craig Adams scores, something he hasn’t done in 111 regular-season games dating back to December 2008. Maybe Senators coach Cory Clouston has to start putting Chris Phillips and Anton Volchenkov on the ice against him ... Not even the softest seat at Bert’s (beach) Bar could keep Senators owner Eugene Melnyk from making the trip to The Igloo. He watched the game in a box with GM Bryan Murray and assistant GM Tim Murray ... Put French lessons I’m taking to use on Max Talbot, a former Hull Olympique, after the morning skate. “Combien ça coûte? (How much does that cost?),” I ask. Without missing a beat, Max replied: “Ah, you’ve been talking to the girls at Pigale.” ... Under the category of coincidences: Clouston (41) is one year older than Dan Bylsma, to the day. They were both born on Sept. 19.

THINGS I THINK I THINK

Nice to see Ottawa finally waking up and smelling the playoffs. Only 750 tickets remain for each of Games 3 and 4. That means the SBP box-office spit out a total of 3,500 ducats since Monday. But don’t get too cocky, Sens fans. Game 1 marked the Penguins' 160th consecutive sellout.

11All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:27 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh, I'm not sure about that. I was watching upstairs - so no PVR, but that appeared to be a really beautiful deflection by Galiardi or whoever it was.

12All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:30 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SensGirl11 wrote:

Nice to see Ottawa finally waking up and smelling the playoffs. Only 750 tickets remain for each of Games 3 and 4. That means the SBP box-office spit out a total of 3,500 ducats since Monday. But don’t get too cocky, Sens fans. Game 1 marked the Penguins' 160th consecutive sellout.

It's not surprising that there are still tickets all things considered.

As for Pittsburgh's 160th consecutive sellout - Give Ottawa the exact same playoff success coupled with having golden by Crosby and Malkin and I'll show you 160 consecutive sellouts at SBP.

- Unknown Author

13All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:32 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If the lottery ball hadn't spit out the Pens for 1st overall, who knows who they'd have right now. In fact, they may not even have a team.

Anaheim would be the best team ever though. All Playoff talk all the time. 432129

14All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There is an All Things Playoffs forum (kind of its own separate category). Maybe this one should go there and be renamed General Discussion or something similar. Or just keep the name as is.

15All Playoff talk all the time. Empty Re: All Playoff talk all the time. Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Pens are hanging this loss on the bounce. Crosby said:
That bounce they got on that third goal ended up being the difference,

If that was our Captain saying it I would be concerned. Yes, it was a lucky bounce, but that did not end up being the difference. Try going 21+ minutes with one shot on goal (after Malkin's opener). You put up one shot on goal in over a period's worth of play and you blame the loss on a bounce? That's weak.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 67]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 34 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum