GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010

+13
Tuk Tuk
Devo
Cronie
stempniaksen
Ev
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
SensHulk
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Riprock
wprager
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Ottawa @ Calgary, March 11, 2010

GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap217%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 1 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap233%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap233%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 2 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap217%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 17% [ 1 ]
GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

hemlock wrote:I could have gone to this game tonight. Sadly, I have work and other commitments. GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Icon_sad

As an anti-Flames fan living in Calgary, I'd love to see my team deal them a blow to their playoff quest. Calgary isn't that good of a hockey club, although still good enough to knock the Sharks out in round one, should they make it. GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 85287

Really? Too bad. Brophey posted an article on Sportsnet syaing that the Flames are one of few teams in the West (which did not include Vancouver) that have no goaltending issues. Last I remember Kipper has been known to tire himself out in the regular season and flops come playoff time. Phaneuf missing on the blueline is also a big loss. Calgary is grossly overrated...

Kovalfie wrote:
hemlock wrote:I could have gone to this game tonight. Sadly, I have work and other commitments. GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 Icon_sad

As an anti-Flames fan living in Calgary, I'd love to see my team deal them a blow to their playoff quest. Calgary isn't that good of a hockey club, although still good enough to knock the Sharks out in round one, should they make it. GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators @ Calgary Flames - 9:30PM EST, Thursday, March 11, 2010 - Page 2 85287

Really? Too bad. Brophey posted an article on Sportsnet syaing that the Flames are one of few teams in the West (which did not include Vancouver) that have no goaltending issues. Last I remember Kipper has been known to tire himself out in the regular season and flops come playoff time. Phaneuf missing on the blueline is also a big loss. Calgary is grossly overrated...

I'm inclined to agree. Toskala better be ready to step in and play, not only now, but in the playoffs. The catch-22 for Calgary is that Kipper gives them the best chance to make the playoffs, but that he could really suffer for it come playoff time if he fades. Then it's all on Toskala. Yikes!

Beyond their top line of Bourque-Stajan-Iggy, there isn't much there to really strike fear in an opponent. Sutter has really messed this team up.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gonna need a nice, strong effort tonight. Be painfully aware of Iginla please.

hemlock wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. Toskala better be ready to step in and play, not only now, but in the playoffs. The catch-22 for Calgary is that Kipper gives them the best chance to make the playoffs, but that he could really suffer for it come playoff time if he fades. Then it's all on Toskala. Yikes!

Beyond their top line of Bourque-Stajan-Iggy, there isn't much there to really strike fear in an opponent. Sutter has really messed this team up.

I undersand that Sutter needed some offensive depth but to trade a big defencemen for Leaf scrubs just didn't make any sense to me. That and they gave up Aullie who was the best prospect between the two teams in the trade.

Offensively I'd argue that the Flames are built quite similarly to the Sens in that they have three lines 'capable' of scoring. Looking at a head-to-head Calgary just doesn't compare.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

GO SENS!!

Kovalfie wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:

I undersand that Sutter needed some offensive depth but to trade a big defencemen for Leaf scrubs just didn't make any sense to me. That and they gave up Aullie who was the best prospect between the two teams in the trade.

Offensively I'd argue that the Flames are built quite similarly to the Sens in that they have three lines 'capable' of scoring. Looking at a head-to-head Calgary just doesn't compare.

I wouldn't call Stajan and Hagman scrubs, but I get what you are trying to say. Stajan has looked nice with Iggy, and seems to have rejuvinated Jarome. Hagman is a skill guy you can throw out on the ice late in a game whether you need to score a tying goal, or prevent one. He's an elite PKer.

Sutter has completely lost his mind this season though. With his brother there, he must be feeling the heat to win now or something. As bad as the Phaneuf deal looks for Calgary, I don't get the Jokinen/Higgins deal either (Kotalik had negative value for the Rags for god sakes!), and the biggest head scratcher for me is the gifting of Dustin Boyd for a 4th. This kid is a great young player who does whatever is asked of him, and never really had a chance to develop properly in Calgary.

The moves Sutter has made this season has really hurt the Flames long term. It's too bad Murray couldn't figure out a way to yoink Mikael Backlund out of Calgary before the deadline.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The issue here is, Hagman, Stajan and White are players who are not top tiered, but will still demand high prices on the open market.

Stajan's extension was ridiculous, 3.5 million dollars? Are you kidding me? He's having a nice season this year, but where in the world does Matt Stajan yell 3.5 over a long term?

Hagman is cheaply priced this year and next, then you can bet it'll be 4+ million dollars.

White is an RFA this summer and has taken massive steps in his career. He's looking at BARE MINIMUM of 2.5 million, with some people saying more like 3-3.5+ million on term.

That's what the issue is, otherwise, this was a good trade. The trade is diminished badly by Stajan making 3.5 million though, it takes the fun away from it for me.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

My gut says Pascal Leclaire is starting tonight (if Clouston intends on following thru with his word). i guess no updates on this yet?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Lines at practice:
Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Regin-Fisher-Kovalev
Donovan-Cullen-Neil
Ruutu-Winchester-Shannon

Nothing on starting goalie yet. My gut says Elliott.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Correction, LeftWingLock.com is reporting Elliot/Kiprusoff confirmed. Nothing on Sens twitter, though. Odd.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the Whitney cross-check on Neil, by the way (I hadn't seen it until now). IMO he just missed. He was looking at the point shot and not at Neil, so I don't think it was an intentional head shot. Also, Neil had just tangled a bit with Deslaurier but, in his defense, he was a good foot outside the crease.