GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tonight Show getting bounced to make room for Jay Leno Show

+6
Hoags
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
SDH89
M_Christopher
shabbs
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm personally a huge Letterman fan and was disappointed that Leno got the Tonight show instead of him. Conan is OK but not a big fan.

I imagine Letterman is quite happy he didn't jump onto that NBC sinking ship after all.

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

I am certain O'Brien has a contract. I hope he sticks to his guns and lets the network have it.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

beedub wrote:I am certain O'Brien has a contract. I hope he sticks to his guns and lets the network have it.

He does and he can't do much about it. His contract says he can't be moved later than 12:05 and that's when they moved him to.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

The fact that they are moving the oldest late-night talk show still on TV is enough of an embarrassment. The fact that they are making one of their best work-horses be a part of that embarrassment goes to show just how Dung of a network NBC actually is compared to the other big networks.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
beedub wrote:I am certain O'Brien has a contract. I hope he sticks to his guns and lets the network have it.

He does and he can't do much about it. His contract says he can't be moved later than 12:05 and that's when they moved him to.

Well, he's a jackass then. He left the door open for the network to Diddle with him

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Word is that his contract says that he's the host of the Tonight Show... nothing in the contract about the time slot. So, in theory, they can move it and he really can't do anything about it.

shabbs wrote:Word is that his contract says that he's the host of the Tonight Show... nothing in the contract about the time slot. So, in theory, they can move it and he really can't do anything about it.

He can quit, and negotiate with another network to grease NBC into letting them air Conan on his own show. He's popular enough to headline a show like this no matter what the title is.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

hemlock wrote:
shabbs wrote:Word is that his contract says that he's the host of the Tonight Show... nothing in the contract about the time slot. So, in theory, they can move it and he really can't do anything about it.

He can quit, and negotiate with another network to grease NBC into letting them air Conan on his own show. He's popular enough to headline a show like this no matter what the title is.
He can't just quit... NBC would have to agree to let him out of his contract. If he quit, they'd sue him for breach of contract, but that would be messy. I'm sure they'll find a way to make this work out for everyone.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Well, I like them all. Leno, Conan, Letterman, Kimmel... so I don't really care who goes first or at what time, I'm usually at home at 10.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Looks like Conan and NBC are going to part ways and that Leno will become the host of the Tonight Show at it's usual time slot, just like the old days.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/16/conan-obrien-jay-leno-the-tonight-show-nbc-announcement-settlement/

My money is on Conan going to FOX. I hope Conan got a HUGE buyout from NBC.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Looks like Conan and NBC are going to part ways and that Leno will become the host of the Tonight Show at it's usual time slot, just like the old days.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/16/conan-obrien-jay-leno-the-tonight-show-nbc-announcement-settlement/

My money is on Conan going to FOX. I hope Conan got a HUGE buyout from NBC.

I used to enjoy Carson once in a while. I was never a huge fan of Leno, but I liked the format for a while. Letterman, though, was always a favorite of mine. I'm not crazy what Leno's been trying to do the last few years. All that running into the audience and glad-handing the crowds. Didn't like it when Arsenio did it but at least he *was* young and not just trying to skew younger.

Man, that reminds me of Larry Sanders when Hank tried to skew younger by getting an ear ring. Larry tells him that the left ear is the happy ear, and wearing it low on the lobe means that he is "catching not pitching".

Good times. Miss that show.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Leno was always my least favourite of the bunch. Letterman is tolerable. Conan, Craig Kilborn and Craig Ferguson were favourites of mine... and of course Jon Stewart is the best for Political humour.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Leno was always my least favourite of the bunch. Letterman is tolerable. Conan, Craig Kilborn and Craig Ferguson were favourites of mine... and of course Jon Stewart is the best for Political humour.

"Protect Jon Stuart ... he's our most important Jew."
- Family Guy