GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

EVERYTHING - Game 2 related

+6
wprager
PKC
rooneypoo
jamvan
shabbs
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 6]

76EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 am

Cronie

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Seriously? Was I one of only a few Sens fans who was incredibly excited that Murray signed Ruutu for 3 years?! I mean, I always knew he was good at what he does, but man oh man, is he EVER fun to watch!

As others have mentioned too, I can't wait to see him in a shootout situation!

77EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:You guys all seem to be really high on Lee tonight - any particular reason?
And was Glass tested in the same way Auld was or did the Sens step up while the Rangers backed off?
I noticed, last game, that the Sens were really just working out kinks for the last 20-30 minutes, which is why the Rangers caught up...was it a similar story tonight (more so why the Rangers didn't pull away more)?

I watched a lot online, so I didn't get the full perspective, but Lee seemed pretty confident all night long. He was making some very nice tape to tape passes and taking some shots from the blueline. And what we all heard is true, he doesn't have a cannon, but it's a really heavy shot that usually produces some kind of a rebound.

Then as the game went on he started to correct the mistakes he was making culminating in the beautiful play by Carkner who put it through his legs to Lee while battling some nerd along the boards. Instead of trying to be fancy, Lee bounced it off the boards to an in transition Isbister who in turn, blew by Redden and fed McAmmond for the goal. He patrolled the blueline quite well on the PP too. He's going to get better and better as the year goes on.

As for the Sens, they controlled the play in the third. So much so that I thought for sure they'd tie it up, but as you say, with the lineup the Rangers iced, I think they may have been guilty of letting up a little. Guys like Ruutu are invaluable for tight checking games like that where we probably shouldn't be in the game, but are. He gets real fiesty. More so than usual.

Bell apparently played 22 minutes, but I can't recall him making an impact to be honest. Zubov was excellent, so was Regin. Bulk up, play AHL hockey and be ready for the NHL next year.

I also love what Carkner brings to the table, but there just isn't room for him I don't think. Auld was spectacular. I'm annoyed on all the highlight packs that they show the one bad goal and laugh. He was the story of the game. Him and Naslund. Naslund was dancing.

McAmmond looked really good too. It's not these guys fault that Harstburg iced a non-scoring lineup, they needed to grind and they tried for the most part. Vermette could really use a goal or an assist though.

78EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

DashRiprock wrote:Ruutu knows exactly what to do. Really does make Neil expendable. He hits, mixes it up when need be, and is solid with the puck. He knows to put the puck on net and he actually hits the net. Drives strong and hard to the net.

Don't let Neil get away unless his contract demands are too high.

To quote the MSG announcers:

Nerd One:"Brilliant pick up by Murray, Ruutu brings a lot to the table for the Sens...and they have Chris Neil too."
Nerd Two:"Oh man...this is one tough team to play against, Neil and Ruutu will wreak havoc on opponent's this year."

79EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

exactly. I don't want Vermette to underachieve or fly below radar all season long. We need Vermette and Kelly to step up.

I'm STILL blown away by Ruutu. He makes Neil seem sub-par, and I'm being generous I think.

EDIT: I just saw your post Heater. And all I meant is Neil needs to bring his A-game all season long, and not the Neil of last year.

80EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:41 am

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

note to Kelly and Vermette: time to get off the coat tails boys, you wanted to be paid like men, please play like men. Thanks

I think last night was an experiment in who would "step up" in leadership. too bad no one showed any for any great length of time.

81EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:44 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Number Twenty Nine wrote:note to Kelly and Vermette: time to get off the coat tails boys, you wanted to be paid like men, please play like men. Thanks

I think last night was an experiment in who would "step up" in leadership. too bad no one showed any for any great length of time.

I liked Kelly's game, but I agree 100% on Vermette. I don't care that it's pre-season, you want to be a top 6, then prove it. When Spezza and Heatley step on the ice, everyone notices, when Vermette comes on...not so much. Step up young man, get something done here.

Kelly won't wow us remember, just play real smart and try to take away time and space.

82EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:46 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cronenbergfan wrote:exactly. I don't want Vermette to underachieve or fly below radar all season long. We need Vermette and Kelly to step up.

I'm STILL blown away by Ruutu. He makes Neil seem sub-par, and I'm being generous I think.

EDIT: I just saw your post Heater. And all I meant is Neil needs to bring his A-game all season long, and not the Neil of last year.

I agree, he needs to get in there and follow Ruutu's lead.

How the heck did we get Ruutu for 1.3 million X 3 years!!? This guy is just a great hockey player, the definition of a gritty player. I love this guy and I would expect Neil to sign an extension for pretty much the same $$. Maybe 1.5 X 3, but not a penny more.

If he wants more than that, we'll have no choice but to trade him.

83EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 am

504Heater wrote:I watched a lot online, so I didn't get the full perspective, but Lee seemed pretty confident all night long. He was making some very nice tape to tape passes and taking some shots from the blueline. And what we all heard is true, he doesn't have a cannon, but it's a really heavy shot that usually produces some kind of a rebound.

Then as the game went on he started to correct the mistakes he was making culminating in the beautiful play by Carkner who put it through his legs to Lee while battling some nerd along the boards. Instead of trying to be fancy, Lee bounced it off the boards to an in transition Isbister who in turn, blew by Redden and fed McAmmond for the goal. He patrolled the blueline quite well on the PP too. He's going to get better and better as the year goes on.
That is really good to hear. Some people that I've talked to and some people on different message boards were unimpressed with Lee in game 1, but I loved his game. He made some mistakes, sure, but he showed so much promise and made some outstanding outlet passes (Picard too)
I'm glad to hear that he's settled down a little and started to get comfortable on the PP.

84EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Ruutu-Bass-Neil, 3rd/4th line. Book it lol.

I'm hoping Carkner can turn out to be our Boogard.

85EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:01 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh yeah, Lee will be an integral part of the Sens D and PP this year.

Anyone remember that crazy come-from-behind win against the Sabres last year, around january I think, when they were trailing 3-1 in the third, and then McAmmond and Vermette scored a shorty, and Alfie tied it up, A-train gave them the lead, and Alfie put them up by two all within a 3 min span!

The goal by Alfie was started mainly by Lee, who instead of dangling and be fancy, he threw the puck from the top of the blueline behind the net, where Heatley walked around the net and found Alfie sitting ALL alone in the slot for the split-second wrister he buried top right corner.

It's plays like that (which was Lee's NHL debut game I believe) that made me feel he will fit in JUST fine...

86EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 am

That same game, he made his infamous toe-save in the crease.
If you believe in signs, that would have been a pretty encouraging game....

87EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:08 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:That same game, he made his infamous toe-save in the crease.

Oh yeah, I remember that perfectly. That was a nice sign for sure.

88EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 pm

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cash wrote:That same game, he made his infamous toe-save in the crease.

Holy crap! I forgot about that. I remember it now, and I remember cheering for him! Way to go LEE!!

I think he's hungry, and hey, he has a new porsche to pay for, so he'll want to show everyone he can be a top tier D man in the NHL!

89EVERYTHING - Game 2 related - Page 6 Empty Re: EVERYTHING - Game 2 related Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

So we find ourselves in an interesting situation, with regards to the changes we have seen:

Neil, as much as he is loved in Ottawa and as good as he is, may be fighting for his own job, as he could be replaced by a combination of Ruutu, Bass, and Carkner.

Winchester has the potential to be our much-missed T6F, and at a steal of a contract. He is big, he's got soft hands, and he isn't afraid to take a hit to make a play.

Vermette and Kelly, now being paid like big boys, need to step up a little. They have the potential to blow the lid off, but even if they don't, they are more than serviceable in the role that they play.

Donovan, if he doesn't push hard, may be looking at the tail-lights of Isbister, who, while not quite as fast, has better hands.

Lee looks like the real deal, and perhaps more, with tons of skill, and poise to spare. Maybe those of us who complained about passing on Staal need to issue a retraction...

Even with Lee, Kuba may well be the PP QB that we have been looking for. He can move, he can pass, and he can shoot (sort of).

And then there's Picard. :D

Finally, to back it all up, we have Gerber, who moved extremely well for a first outing, although the mask really needs some work.

Auld - well, he's good (not great), but he just fills up the net. It's hard to get something by a 6'4" tower, who can reach almost everything. If he can play as good as he did in NY, then we are golden, as he'll steal more then his fair share.

Elliot, as the goalie of the future, is probably technically better than both, but is still rough around the edges. But not for long.

I would have to say - Murray has done a remarkable job retooling this team, considering the shape that it was in only a few months ago. I think that this team has the potential to do some serious damage, there will be a lot of people that will continue to underestimate them. Let them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum