GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: Edmonton Oilers @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30pm EST - Tue. Nov. 10th, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts

+19
Hayden
Hockeyhero22000
Sens19
M_Christopher
Jordo
SensGirl11
jamvan
Riprock
LeCaptain
Vandelay
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
Flo The Action
davetherave
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
asq2
SDH89
shabbs
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 16]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:Was anyone else really impressed with Dustin Penner last night?

PS: Congrats Cheechoo

Really impressed. All he needed was MacT to be banished and he woke up immediately.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
Kovalfie wrote:Was anyone else really impressed with Dustin Penner last night?

Really impressed. All he needed was MacT to be banished and he woke up immediately.

I'll tell you one thing: he didn't look fat, lazy and unmotivated to me.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

PKC wrote:

No, he looked pretty good.

SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

he looked like a man on a mission
he was unmovable in front of the net and skated harder than i've ever seen him skate.

also thought brian lee looked pretty good last night. better than picard anyway

Kovalfie wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

he looked like a man on a mission
he was unmovable in front of the net and skated harder than i've ever seen him skate.

also thought brian lee looked pretty good last night. better than picard anyway
I agree he looked better than Picard, but he was pretty bad overall except for a short period in the 2nd.

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

Watching live thought Lee was much worse. I realize that Picard and Campoli had their issues last night, but watching Lee scramble constantly away from the puck was painful. He was over matched every time he was on the ice. He was too slow to keep up with Cogs or Gagne, Penner just abused him. For me it was a case that Lee just looked like a rookie, I tried to remember how Karlsson looked, but I couldn't remember Karlsson looking so much like a deer in the headlights.

It's quite apparent that we need another d-man and now.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Devo wrote:It's quite apparent that we need another d-man and now.

Oh yeah. We only have 3 bonfide NHL D-men and Carkner. When one of the 3 goes down to injury, Carkner is forced out of his element (5th or 6th guy) and thrust into a top 4 - and we just don't have the depth to make it through that unblemished.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Kovalfie wrote:
marakh wrote:ON the other hand, Picard was the N1 reason we scored the go ahead goal, and Campoli was a non factor offensively.

Doesn't matter. Goals against were scored because of Picard's poor play.

I agree with SD, Leclaire was great for the majority of the game but had a couple of brain cramps which led to goals.

Was anyone else really impressed with Dustin Penner last night?

Of course it does. It was the goa ahead goal and if LEclaire didn't let that puck in it is the game winning goal. ONE goal against was scored because of Picard's play, not more. That sounds even to me.

Of course he played like crapand made more giveaways, but it doesn't mean he was 100% useless. Visnovsky was awful last night also and he is supposed to be a top 2 defenseman...

Picard was 100% responsible for the 2nd goal. He then created the turnover that gave Cogliano a breakaway and was caught out of position on several odd-man rushes. His play on the Sens 3rd goal was luck, at best. This glorification of his play is annoying. What exactly did he do that was so great on that play? He pentrated the zone with a horrendous dump-off to the left wing, a bad enough miscue to get the opposing D to move out of position long enough for him to retrieve the puck. He then got ridden along the boards, ending with a pass to Neil who was buried behind the net, who just happens to make a nice enough play to get the puck a millimeter behind the red line.

Then there's Campoli, who just flat out gives the puck away to the opposition almost every shift. He has a roster spot because of his so-called puck moving skills, but has yet to live up to even the most basic of expectations. He can't defend and is often caught out of position.

Then there's Lee, who's being criticized because he can't outmuscle one of the biggest players in the league and can't out hustle two of the fastest? Give your head a shake. He's far from what I want in a defender, but he is a definite upgrade over those other two jokes. I came into the season with Picard in the #4 slot ahead of Campoli, Lee, Karlsson, and obviously Carkner, but he'd be lucky to be #7 on that list now. The only reason he would even get lucky #7 is because Campoli has just been the worst player on the ice almost night-in, night-out.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Campoli: "Giving it away like it's cool."

Gohan wrote:Picard was 100% responsible for the 2nd goal. He then created the turnover that gave Cogliano a breakaway and was caught out of position on several odd-man rushes. His play on the Sens 3rd goal was luck, at best. This glorification of his play is annoying. What exactly did he do that was so great on that play? He pentrated the zone with a horrendous dump-off to the left wing, a bad enough miscue to get the opposing D to move out of position long enough for him to retrieve the puck. He then got ridden along the boards, ending with a pass to Neil who was buried behind the net, who just happens to make a nice enough play to get the puck a millimeter behind the red line.

Then there's Campoli, who just flat out gives the puck away to the opposition almost every shift. He has a roster spot because of his so-called puck moving skills, but has yet to live up to even the most basic of expectations. He can't defend and is often caught out of position.

Then there's Lee, who's being criticized because he can't outmuscle one of the biggest players in the league and can't out hustle two of the fastest? Give your head a shake. He's far from what I want in a defender, but he is a definite upgrade over those other two jokes. I came into the season with Picard in the #4 slot ahead of Campoli, Lee, Karlsson, and obviously Carkner, but he'd be lucky to be #7 on that list now. The only reason he would even get lucky #7 is because Campoli has just been the worst player on the ice almost night-in, night-out.

GAME DAY: Edmonton Oilers @ Ottawa Senators - 7:30pm EST - Tue. Nov. 10th, 2009 PLUS post game thoughts - Page 16 77131 amen to that

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gohan wrote:Picard was 100% responsible for the 2nd goal. He then created the turnover that gave Cogliano a breakaway and was caught out of position on several odd-man rushes. His play on the Sens 3rd goal was luck, at best. This glorification of his play is annoying. What exactly did he do that was so great on that play? He pentrated the zone with a horrendous dump-off to the left wing, a bad enough miscue to get the opposing D to move out of position long enough for him to retrieve the puck. He then got ridden along the boards, ending with a pass to Neil who was buried behind the net, who just happens to make a nice enough play to get the puck a millimeter behind the red line.

Agreed on everything with the exception of Campoli being lower on the depth charts. I still like his aggressiveness - even if it's ill-timed - and he can still pass, although he's having a rough time.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:in all fairness and i'm not trying to be devil's advocate but some of these edmonton guys are pulling their weight well. Brule, penner, cogs and gagner are all doing well this year. and that's why i said that they are underevaluated. once they are back from injuries and ready to go i think they are a playoff team(if kaby performs obviously)

happy to see cheechoo out there scoring. i too amd happy with the
michalek-spezz-alfie
cheechoo-fisher-kovy

should try and keep it that way for now... see if cheech gets streaky....

a win is a win.

That's actually quite a fair assessment. The Oilers pack a little bit of a punch this year (when healthy). That said, I didn't see any semblance of a system. Am I missing something? It really looked like they were just content to play a run and gun game.
you're right. my thoughts on that are two thing: one, i thought pat quinn has a "players approach" where he encourages them to use their offencive qualities to their full potential. maybe that seperates them as players instead of unifying them as team. or maybe the younger ones just don't have the maturity to combine their strenghs within some structure?
2: where there more vets out with them last night they could of rallied around?

that is why i think once they are fully recoverd as a team they, i think, will do some damage.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Flo The Action wrote:
you're right. my thoughts on that are two thing: one, i thought pat quinn has a "players approach" where he encourages them to use their offencive qualities to their full potential. maybe that seperates them as players instead of unifying them as team. or maybe the younger ones just don't have the maturity to combine their strenghs within some structure?

that is why i think once they are fully recoverd as a team they, i think, will do some damage.

Yeah, Quinn for sure, but I thought Renney was the 'tactician' of the coaching staff - and I really didn't see much tact coming from the Oilers. At one point I was thinking, good, they want to run and gun and they've got what appears to be a shaky goalie in there, let's do it. We'll score the last goal.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:

Yeah, Quinn for sure, but I thought Renney was the 'tactician' of the coaching staff - and I really didn't see much tact coming from the Oilers. At one point I was thinking, good, they want to run and gun and they've got what appears to be a shaky goalie in there, let's do it. We'll score the last goal.
and the winner is? sssseeeeennnnnnsssss!

i can't honestly say i know much about renney. NYR were such a mess half the time. i knew it was mostly coming from the GM's office but still. with torts in there this year and all is good in NY, sather is gonna look like a genius(to some). guess the cowboy approach works sometimes.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
Agreed on everything with the exception of Campoli being lower on the depth charts. I still like his aggressiveness - even if it's ill-timed - and he can still pass, although he's having a rough time.

SpezD, I'll never understand your man-crush (of sorts) on Campoli. Are you sure his supermodel g/f doesn't somehow enter into the ranking process? He had a little success last year, but even then I really did not see what the big deal was all about. Someone mentioned earlier that his success had a lot to do with feeding the top line and I think I have to agree.

Regardless of how we view his performance last year in different lights, can you really defend his play this year? To put it in perspective, he has the same stats (1-4-5) in 15 games that Volchenkov has in 10. Without the punishing hits, timely blocked shots and overall defensive ability.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum