GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Music Help

+5
wprager
Riprock
Bramlet07
M_Christopher
Tuk Tuk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Music Help Empty Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

So I'm a huge country fan, I'll admit that, but I'm looking to get into more rock.

Now I'm a huge Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana fan, so I have most of their songs

I also have some music by Rush, Foo Fighters, Bob Dylan, Led Zepplin, Michael Jackson, Steve Miller band, Pearl Jam, GNR, Aerosmith, and more, so any songs by these guys you can recommend, let me know.

If you have any bands or songs you think I should check out, I will.

Thanks

2Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore

Smashing Pumpkins, Kiss, ACDC, Rise Against.....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

3Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

Keidis said good things about Smashing Pumpkins in his autobiography, I'll check them out, thanks.

4Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Bramlet07

Bramlet07
Veteran
Veteran

Nice list so far. You mention PJ and Nirvana, you should check out the rest of the Seattle grunge movement with Alice in Chains and Sound Garden.

Also check out some great Canadian music like Niel Young, The Hip, Matthew Good, The Guess Who to name a few.

5Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

My favorite bands:

Tea Party (see also Jeff Martin), Big Wreck, Collective Soul, Headstones (see also Hugh Dillon), Mazzy Star (see also Hope Sandoval).

Tea Party were a phenomenal 3-piece Canadian band whose style fused so many genres of music. They have a very middle-Eastern sound that they fused with modern rock. Mazzy Star, I recommend their hauntingly beautiful "Fade into you".

6Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:48 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm trying to introduce my kids (13-11-6-6) to classic rock. Constant struggle in the car if I let one of the older ones ride up front. He wants Hot 89.9, I want Chez 106.1. Slowly they're coming around. Now one of my 6 year olds is asking for Stairway to Heaven.

Your classic rock list is missing Pink Floyd, Beatles, Stones, The Who. For more mellow stuff you've got to get yourself some Simon and Garfunkel, Billy Joel. If you like modern big-band then Colin James (Canadian guitar player), Brian Setzer (Stray Cats lead-man) and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. You must not, must not forget Freddy (Queen).

Honestly, there are way too many to mention. The Police, The Knack (yeah, maybe just one album but it was great), Deep Purple (going back to the 70s again), April Wine (Canadian group), even Abba (great harmonies).

7Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

I'm not a fan of the Beatles. I've tried to like them, but I never did.

8Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah, but you are all also missing Dire Straits, CCR, and The Doors, among many others like The Eagles, Skynyrd, Allman, Doobie's, etc etc...

9Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran

haha, i have skynard, eagles, and CCR, and love them Music Help 270956

10Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:31 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Tuk Tuk wrote:I'm not a fan of the Beatles. I've tried to like them, but I never did.

One thing, if you want to like the Beatles, the key is to watch some video biography with history and stuff because really their greatness was in the songwriting and their inspiration during the Cold war. Also, their best songs are the least popular.

11Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:57 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

I really like Counting Crows and Old Genesis although I doubt that's the sound you're after.

12Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:43 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Alice in Chains are awesome! Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness are amazing albums.

Led Zeppelin's Mothership album is unbelievable.

The Trews first album, can't remember the name, but it's a pretty good one.

Since you like the guitar a lot I would suggest you listen to Hayden - the first album is "Everything I Long For" and it is absolutely awesome! He's Canadian too. His latest album has a country sound to it - "The Place Where we Lived" is the name of it. Also a good album. If I know your tastes at all, I would guess that you will fall in love with him.

13Music Help Empty Re: Music Help Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

The important part of broadening your horizons is to make a progression towards rock. Think of it this way, if you're used to colder waters, you're not going to last long in a hot tub. Try your luck in warmer water first.

Throwing analogies aside, what I mean is that a good progression to rock from coutnry would be listening to bands like Blue Rodeo, The Eagles, maybe some Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and then get more into that stuff. There's a great band that you'd probably like called Days of the New. Chris Cornell stuff is great too and has a country feel to it.

Also check out Kings of Leon- their roots are in Tennessee.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum