GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Khabibulin rumour

+6
Sens4thecup
Phoenix30
COLLAR UP
smash88
Acrobat
PTFlea
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

504Heater wrote:
smash88 wrote:Kelly is good, but I don't think he's really that valuable... I mean he's good at penalty killing, but i'm sure their are others who can take his place...

I think you're right and there are guys who can do his job, but there's something rock steady about Kelly. You can put him out there with 10 seconds to go in a close game and feel 100% comfortable. I feel that now would not be the time to think about moving him personally.

Plus Murray would not sign the guy long term and turn around and trade him unless it was for something stellar, not Khabibulin. IMO GMs lose a lot of face doing that kind of stuff. That is pure cap moves when you just signed a guy.

17Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:29 pm

smash88

Veteran
Veteran

MurderOnIce wrote:
504Heater wrote:
smash88 wrote:Kelly is good, but I don't think he's really that valuable... I mean he's good at penalty killing, but i'm sure their are others who can take his place...

I think you're right and there are guys who can do his job, but there's something rock steady about Kelly. You can put him out there with 10 seconds to go in a close game and feel 100% comfortable. I feel that now would not be the time to think about moving him personally.

Plus Murray would not sign the guy long term and turn around and trade him unless it was for something stellar, not Khabibulin. IMO GMs lose a lot of face doing that kind of stuff. That is pure cap moves when you just signed a guy.

oh I agree, I don't think Kelly would get traded in this trade, I said that somewhere on here, that there are 4 or 5 guys on the Sens who would get traded before he would... I just think they put too much into Kelly, I really don't see him as that good of a player... But now that they signed him to that contract, they pretty much have to live with it...

18Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Sens4thecup

Rookie
Rookie

Is any one else concerned by the signing of Richardson? Is our defense in such state of disrepair? Obviously Murray is not impressed with their recent trade acquisitions/minor leagues/FAs. (This is coming from discussions with other Sens fans.)

19Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sens4thecup wrote:Is any one else concerned by the signing of Richardson? Is our defense in such state of disrepair? Obviously Murray is not impressed with their recent trade acquisitions/minor leagues/FAs. (This is coming from discussions with other Sens fans.)

McGuire thought it was a great move, but he didn't think he'd be playing in the NHL much. We've got some young defensemen coming up who could use some mentoring (Karlssons, Picard, even Bell). Plus he's been working out with Tony Greco all summer and wouldn't look out of place filling in a game or two. McGuire also said that Murray should still be looking for a PMD.

As for Khabibulin, I just don't see it. Not much (if any) of an upgrade for us, and we'd lose the ability to get anyone decent in March. As for Chicago, why would they want a $3.7M backup who wants to be #1?

20Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:20 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
Sens4thecup wrote:Is any one else concerned by the signing of Richardson? Is our defense in such state of disrepair? Obviously Murray is not impressed with their recent trade acquisitions/minor leagues/FAs. (This is coming from discussions with other Sens fans.)

McGuire thought it was a great move, but he didn't think he'd be playing in the NHL much. We've got some young defensemen coming up who could use some mentoring (Karlssons, Picard, even Bell). Plus he's been working out with Tony Greco all summer and wouldn't look out of place filling in a game or two. McGuire also said that Murray should still be looking for a PMD.

As for Khabibulin, I just don't see it. Not much (if any) of an upgrade for us, and we'd lose the ability to get anyone decent in March. As for Chicago, why would they want a $3.7M backup who wants to be #1?

Yeah I really don't think Chicago would end up taking Gerber.. they would have to work something out with another team i figure...

21Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16993&blogger_id=52

Good article by Al on the Bulin situation.

His take is a good one. Initially I thought that Colorado would get to pick before us, but it turns out we're one slot ahead of the Avs.

So, for that reason alone, I think it's done. The Sens have a legitimate shot to add Khabby for 3.4 million dollars by not entertaining any trade offers and hoping that Colorado does the same - thus forcing the Hawks to put him back on re-entry waivers.

Now, the catch is: if LA gets bold and snatches Bulin before we do, they cannot move him at the deadline unless they first offer him to us (or the teams that make claims).

Knowing this and knowing Brian Murray, there's no chance that Bulin would go past the Sens. Murray would just...take him from LA.

We have to see if Colorado gets really desperate right now and offers something for Bulin - otherwise I would imagine he's ours and someone will be the recipient of Gerber (who I have no idea, but we'd have to try to move him/waive him).

It's interesting...you guys can't tell me you wouldn't take Bulin for 3.35 million?

22Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:38 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

[quote="504Heater"]
You'd still have to do something with Gerber. Once you acquire Khabby, you won't be dealing from a position of strength, that's for sure. Technically, we can bury Gerber in the minors, but that's a lot of salary to pay for an AHL player. I'd take Khabby at half price, for sure -- but that doesn't change that you have to do something with Gerber.

Yeah, that's a big thing I think. Colorado may (falsely) thing Budaj is the guy to lead them to the promised land. Gerber is better than either tender they have, but by how much? I'm curious about what's gonna shake out.

I can guarantee Colorado wants us to pass so they can take him at 1/2 the price.

The only option is to waive Gerber, but yes, that's a lot of coin to bury in Bingo.

I'm leaning towards pass...but when he's brought back up on re-entry (no team buries 7 million dollars - no way), I would imagine we grab him and deal with Gerber after that.

23Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
You'd still have to do something with Gerber. Once you acquire Khabby, you won't be dealing from a position of strength, that's for sure. Technically, we can bury Gerber in the minors, but that's a lot of salary to pay for an AHL player. I'd take Khabby at half price, for sure -- but that doesn't change that you have to do something with Gerber.

By the same token, Chicago does not need to bring him back up. There's also no guarantee that someone would just grab Khabibulin. Whatever he may have been in the past, he has not demonstrated those abilities since, well, his Cup year, and even at half price it's still a lot to pay for a maybe has-been.

LA needs big salaries just to get to the cap floor, so I could see a deal being worked out.

24Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:45 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Huet lets in 7. Ooh, this is going to get interesting.

25Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
By the same token, Chicago does not need to bring him back up. There's also no guarantee that someone would just grab Khabibulin. Whatever he may have been in the past, he has not demonstrated those abilities since, well, his Cup year, and even at half price it's still a lot to pay for a maybe has-been.

LA needs big salaries just to get to the cap floor, so I could see a deal being worked out.

I asked this question over at HB and still no answer.... but are you sure about that? Khabby is now 35 years old. So, if you waive him and no one claims him, does his salary still count against the team's cap, as in the Schneider case? Or does that rule apply only to guys who *sign* multi-year deals at the age of 35 and older?

26Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:21 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Schneider thing was because he signed a multi-year deal after the age of 35, so I'd suspect Khabby's salary would be off the books if they buried him, but that is one hell of a price to pay and surely a last resort if they can't move him and don't want to bring him back up through re-entry.

27Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:35 pm

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:The Schneider thing was because he signed a multi-year deal after the age of 35, so I'd suspect Khabby's salary would be off the books if they buried him, but that is one hell of a price to pay and surely a last resort if they can't move him and don't want to bring him back up through re-entry.

Yeah, there's no way they can do that... I'm sure Khabby will be on another team very soon... That's just throwing money away.. but I guess crazier things have happened

28Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 am

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

I doubt after years of poor management, poor market exposure, and nearly bottom of the league attendance, that the Blackhawks are just suddenly so flush with money that they can afford to send down 7 million dollar goalies to the minors. I'm no financial analyst or expert, but I'm pretty sure most of these owners (if not every one of them) would disapprove of such a gross expenditure.

29Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

Don't forget that Bill Wirtz (the prior owner) passed away, so his son now owns the team. That's why they are now on TV, and they have changed the way a bunch of things are being run. He may be willing to absorb this for one year, if he is convinced there is a "pot of gold" on its way.

30Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:I asked this question over at HB and still no answer.... but are you sure about that? Khabby is now 35 years old. So, if you waive him and no one claims him, does his salary still count against the team's cap, as in the Schneider case? Or does that rule apply only to guys who *sign* multi-year deals at the age of 35 and older?

I thought that rule applied only to retirement and, yes, it applies to contracts signed after a player is 35. Damn, they should have extended Alfie before he turned 35 and loaded it up-front to keep the cap hit low.

31Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Acrobat wrote:Don't forget that Bill Wirtz (the prior owner) passed away, so his son now owns the team. That's why they are now on TV, and they have changed the way a bunch of things are being run. He may be willing to absorb this for one year, if he is convinced there is a "pot of gold" on its way.

The pot of gold is a playoff berth. A team can make $1M from a post-season home game. First round guarantees $2M. Even with home ice, they'd have to go 2 rounds to have a hope of making up $6M, and there's not even a guarantee they'd make it to the first round.

The only way they can move him is to a team in dire need of cap hit to make the floor, or if they pay half his salary on re-entry (no-one can ever explain that rule to me in a way that makes any kind of sense -- it's about as arbitrary as some rules in board games).

32Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:37 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:I asked this question over at HB and still no answer.... but are you sure about that? Khabby is now 35 years old. So, if you waive him and no one claims him, does his salary still count against the team's cap, as in the Schneider case? Or does that rule apply only to guys who *sign* multi-year deals at the age of 35 and older?

I thought that rule applied only to retirement and, yes, it applies to contracts signed after a player is 35. Damn, they should have extended Alfie before he turned 35 and loaded it up-front to keep the cap hit low.

Yeah never thought of Alfie's situation like that... Could turn out to be worse for us..

33Khabibulin rumour - Page 2 Empty Re: Khabibulin rumour Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 am

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

On the other hand, if he doesn't retire, but instead just fails to report, he can be "suspended" (the whole world would know the truth, but such is the wording of the CBA), and thus he'd be taken off the books.

Problem solved, no?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum