GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sinking in the East: What's happening with the Maple Leafs

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

When the Toronto Maple Leafs announced just before
training camp had started that they had acquired Phil Kessel via trade, many
fans and pundits figured that Brian Burke was confident enough in his roster to
make a splash and try to push his team over the top into a playoff spot –
something that has eluded Toronto for almost five years now.

But with expectations at a five-year high, it has
been anything but a steady march to the ides of May.

The Maple Leafs now find themselves in sizeable
hole. Problems at every position on the roster have manifested into a culture
of failure so far this young season. Goaltending controversies since training
camp and the preseason have spilled over into the regular season days: the
young Swede has been crowned king of the crease by the fans, but the veteran
head coach stands firmly behind his Finnish net minder.

The Leafs meanwhile are spending $24.166 million
this season alone on their rearguards – a league high – on a dubious collection
of rugged defenders and puck movers that have looked slow, lost, out of
position and tentative so far.

Despite having the highest paid blueline, the Leafs’
contributions from the backend have been underwhelming so far, a combined: 0
goals, 11 assists and -14.

Some are pointing to a flawed system, while others
think the makeup of the team just isn’t good enough to compete in the suddenly
tougher Eastern conference.

Whatever the case, the Leafs need to start figuring
it out quickly if they hope to be a part of the chase for Lord Stanley’s.

Since 2005-06, the cut-off for a playoff spot in the
Eastern conference has been roughly 93 points. At 0-5-1 and with the
Atlantic-leading Rangers visiting on Saturday and a five-game road trip that
sees them play the Canucks, Ducks, Stars, Sabres and Canadiens to close out the
month, things aren’t looking very good.

The Leafs are going to need to win 46 games out of
the remaining 76 if they hope to capture a playoff spot. However, if the Leafs
don’t win four out of their next six games, their season could be in jeopardy.

Can the Leafs win 46 out of their remaining games?
Sure. That’s why the games are played. But given how the team has played so
far, it seems like a tall order to accomplish. This isn’t the case of a team
that is catching bad breaks game in and game out.

This is a team with the second-worst penalty kill in
the league, the worst defensive team so far with a league high 28 goals against
in just six games, and a collection of second tier forwards that lack any star
power whatsoever.

If the Leafs continue their lackadaisical approach
to the game and continue to lose in such uninspiring fashion, who will be the
first to go: Brian Burke, the mastermind of this team, who’s fingerprints are
all over the blueprint of this architecture, or Ron Wilson, the veteran coach
who was banished from San Jose because he couldn’t do enough with a team laden
with elite talent?

Turn it over to you guys here to get your say.

Share this post on: reddit

Well said.

In this context (ie of sucking), the cap situation looks pretty awful. I've seen Leaf fans point to Kovalchuk as a potential saviour, but this coming off-season they've got $41 million committed and they're going to have to bring in at least 2 goalies, 5 forwards and 2 defencemen. That leaves a little over $2 million per signee to work with, and definitely not enough to give Kovalchuk the $9+ million they'd need to offer him even if he did hit the market.

I thought they'd be a lot better than they are right now.

But hey, at least Kadri had a beauty goal against Plymouth the other day.

Really nicely written. I know you (PKC) were amongst the people saying they would suck before the season started, so hats off. I really thought they'd be better - and I might be out some beer if they continue to suck.

What a disgusting schedule they have coming up. Blah...could get worse before it gets better. No wait...is that possible? Ahhhhh!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 am by Cap'n Clutch

Looking at that back end they should be better. Beauchemin, Kaberle and Komisarek should be and likely will be better than they have over the first 6 games. The total meltdown of Toskala (reminds me of our woes with Gerber) and a real lack of 1st line players has hurt as well. I am really surprised that the back end has struggled so much but, as many have pointed out on here, defense isn't only up to the D-men so that could be a big part of it too.

The Leafs are struggling worse than I expected out of the gate but, I don't see it continuing to that degree for long. Things will even out and they'll end up in 10th or 11th IMO. You can check the prediction thread for where I expected they'll end up.

I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, thinking things will get worse before they get better. No matter what changes they try to make, this team just cannot compete with the average to excellent teams. Maybe when Kessel comes back, then you will see some change, but I doubt it, because the Leafs can score, hell, they probably have scored at least the same amount, if not more goals than the Sens have, however, their D is atrocious and overpaid, on paper with Kaberle, Komisarek, and Beauchemin, yes you would figure they would be fine, but they lost their main D man in Kubina, yes you can argue Kaberle is better, but I would have opted in favour of Kubina. The return on that trade (Exelby) does nothing to help their D core. I don't think this team will be bottom 5 either (well hoping not), but I would put them closer to that then I would being in 10th. Goaltending for them is horrible and now that I see Toskala is injured (or at least it said he was when watching Centre Ice last night), and the Monster is still injured, they are even more depleted in goal.

Trading Kubina is turning out to be the dumbest move of the entire off-season. Everyone who knows hockey knows that this guy was their backbone. He's massive, he plays the body well, he's not overpoweringly physical, but he can get out of difficult situations, he has a cannon shot and can man a PP. Anything else to add? Oh yeah, he's a pretty good leader too. And who'd they get back? A guy who's 2 years past his expiration date in Exelby. Very, very poor trade. The Kessel trade is looking horrendous right about now as well. Good work dumbass, trade for a guy who won't be able to help you until it's theoretically too late when you could and should have been able to outbid other teams for Havlat or Cammelleri or Kovalev etc. etc. etc.

The second dumbest move? Paying Colton Orr 1 million (that's million) dollars a year to be a 4th line scrub who can fight. Big deal. Jamal Mayers will be useful to a good club, so perhaps they can get a 3rd rounder for him by February. Primeau is useless. Blake had a good season last year, now it looks like he just wants out of that crap hole.

Instead of making a serious pitch for Kessel, would the Leafs not have been better off acquiring Giguere - or one of the several good goalies seemingly available?

And as much as I think Komisarek will rebound and be pretty good, he's no Chara, you don't build your blue line around him and it looks like Schenn will be steady, but is he your cornerstone on D?

Burke must have thought it looked really good on paper (and it did/does), but when the games are played and you see Komisarek being moved off pucks, he must be pulling his hair out.

Habs fans are saying that the Komi the Leafs are seeing now is the same Komi they had in Montreal... the only difference is that when the team is winning, it's easy to gloss over his bad decisions and bad penalties... but when the team is losing, they're front and center.

shabbs wrote:Habs fans are saying that the Komi the Leafs are seeing now is the same Komi they had in Montreal... the only difference is that when the team is winning, it's easy to gloss over his bad decisions and bad penalties... but when the team is losing, they're front and center.

Boy oh boy...that's gonna be a loooooooooooooooong 5 years then.

What the heck was Komisarek thinking signing with the Leafs? Why not somewhere in the West - or Long Island, or somewhere as far away as possible from Lucic - who Diddling owns him. It's almost LOL funny.

Here's the thing, though: the Leafs have always bottomed out and then turned it around when it's too late. Even with absolutely terrible rosters, they haven't finished below 7th worst in the league, even when it looked like they were in-line for a top-3 pick.

We'll have to wait and see.

asq2 wrote:Here's the thing, though: the Leafs have always bottomed out and then turned it around when it's too late. Even with absolutely terrible rosters, they haven't finished below 7th worst in the league, even when it looked like they were in-line for a top-3 pick.

Agreed 100%, there's a long way to go. The D will come together in some form and Kessel will help. We'll see...my 10th in the Conference prediction (or somewhere around there) doesn't look fantastic though.

Same for Exelby... Thrasher fans are laughing their asses off at that trade saying Exelby's bad play/decision making is really being exposed in Toronto.

shabbs wrote:Same for Exelby... Thrasher fans are laughing their asses off at that trade saying Exelby's bad play/decision making is really being exposed in Toronto.

Yeah, but he's a UFA after this year and is getting pretty low $$s. I can see him being waived. He sucks so hard. Orr sucks harder, but Exelby has completely lost it. It's almost shocking, I used to like his style a lot.

asq2 wrote:Here's the thing, though: the Leafs have always bottomed out and then turned it around when it's too late. Even with absolutely terrible rosters, they haven't finished below 7th worst in the league, even when it looked like they were in-line for a top-3 pick.

that is very true, the late push by the Leafs always seem to get them on the brink of contention, but not quite there, meaning a mid round pick that doesn't do them all too well.

SpezDispenser wrote:
shabbs wrote:Same for Exelby... Thrasher fans are laughing their asses off at that trade saying Exelby's bad play/decision making is really being exposed in Toronto.

Yeah, but he's a UFA after this year and is getting pretty low $$s. I can see him being waived. He sucks so hard. Orr sucks harder, but Exelby has completely lost it. It's almost shocking, I used to like his style a lot.
This is why putting the right pieces and roles together is so important and not just getting a bunch of truculent/gritty guys and throwing them out on the ice... there needs to be cohesion, balance, clearly defined roles and real leadership. None of that is happening right now with the Leafs. It's a free for all... like when playing football with your budides in the park and the QB says "just get open"... no direction.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum