GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mmmmmmmm... 42" of Panasonic plasma gorgeousness!

+4
wprager
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm more than happy with my 57" Hitachi CRT-RPTV. It's not just a dying technology but a dead one, since everyone jumped out of it 1-2 years ago. Doesn't change the fact that it still has some of the best color/contrast out there.

Yeah, moving it is a bit of a challenge, but I've done it twice already (the 57" models come apart so you move the base and the top separately.
I love my 60" Sony Grand Wega RPLCD HDTV that we have in our living room... it too is a "dead techology" but you know what, it still outperforms many of the new TV sets these days. The PQ is outstanding on it. Not sure what I'll replace it with when the time comes around...

I'm not sure what I'll replace mine with either, but it sure will be fun looking.

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore

I picked up a 50" Panasonic Plasma in May to make me feel better as the Sens weren't in the playoffs. I'm so looking forward to watching them on it this season. Fantastic picture and perfect in the darker basement.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

Here`s the bottom line:

LCD : 40 inch and under, for bright rooms
Plasma: 42 inches and up, for dark rooms.

The best image possible is a big Plasma screen in a completely dark room.

Most important factors:
- Black Level
- Original COntrast (not dynamic)
- 1080p of course
- Refresh Rate (60 Hz does the job, 120 Hz and higher for gamers and action movies)

LED's are too expensive for now.

jawal

jawal
Rookie
Rookie

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My 53' Wide screen rear projection screen HDTV is a Dynosaur but I won it in a contest so I can't complain and I have no plans on replacing it until it dies on me.

If that's a dinosaur, what would you call my 27" Sony that I bought new in 1987 for $1199. I call it a good investment as I have got a lifetime out of it. Yes it is close to the time that I get a new TV.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jawal wrote:If that's a dinosaur, what would you call my 27" Sony that I bought new in 1987 for $1199. I call it a good investment as I have got a lifetime out of it. Yes it is close to the time that I get a new TV.
Wow. That is impressive.

My 27" JVC CRT is still going strong. It was my first TV. I bought it when I moved away from home. Good times.

SeawaySensFan wrote:Remember when ProScan made kickass TVs?

That was the first brand I ever had after moving out of my parents house. 27" inch Proscan. Top of the line back then....

jawal wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:My 53' Wide screen rear projection screen HDTV is a Dynosaur but I won it in a contest so I can't complain and I have no plans on replacing it until it dies on me.

If that's a dinosaur, what would you call my 27" Sony that I bought new in 1987 for $1199. I call it a good investment as I have got a lifetime out of it. Yes it is close to the time that I get a new TV.

22 years is a good investment for that money for sure.

That old expression "they don't make things like they used to" is really valid. Personally, I think just about everything we buy today is intentionally made a lesser quality to keep us all dependant on replacements. Damn corrupt economic system!

On a related note, the dresser I use has been in my family for generations. It looks great and works like new, except that it's 120 years old, no joke.

shabbs wrote:
hemlock wrote:Tell that to some manufacturers who are getting out of the Plasma market in favor of other brands, namely Sony for one. Sure Plasma does better black, but I don't dare have one with my kids for fear they'll burn a video game image on them.
For hard core gamers... sure, LCD is a better choice. But the latest plasma's have really improved on the burn-in issue. Both plasma and LCD suffer from image retention (temporary). For very bright rooms with lots of windows etc... LCD is a better choice as well. Each offers great PQ and each have their own benefits/drawbacks.

I was under the impression that Sony was leaving the plasma market because it was low-profit for them and they couldn't compete with the Pioneer or Panasonic sets. Now, Pioneer is leaving the TV biz entirely, which is very sad as they produced the best plasma sets out there with their Kuro sets. LCD's are more expensive and I believe represent a higher profit margin for manufacturers.

Plasma not only does better blacks, it does better colours in general, does not suffer from motion-blur like LCDs and has a much better viewing angle range than LCD's. Here's a good article comparing the two. It's a bit of a techy read but a good one none the less if you're pondering plasma vs LCD.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2349236,00.asp

The new LED LCD's that are running at 240Hz (to eliminate their motion blur issues) are finally catching up to plasma's performance.

Yeah, the plasma death watch may be on... we'll see how long it takes.

Mmmmmmmm... 42" of Panasonic plasma gorgeousness! - Page 2 Icon_wink

You're certainly right that both have pros and cons. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was raining on your parade. I have two LCD's and I suppose it comes down to personal need/preference.

I do suspect though that the plasma shift will happen sooner rather than later as that seems to be the way technology works. Once a "newer" technology is mainstream and affordable, the older tends to get left behind pretty quickly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum